RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   has it ever happened to you? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/218506-has-ever-happened-you.html)

nun45 08-04-2002 09:29 PM

has it ever happened to you?

great day to fly, needed to blow off some steam, loadede up ato enjoy a few flights with my agwagon and a-4. two short hops with aggy, a couple more on propjet. went to my line table and a new guy had his new unfinished plane scattered all over my flightline table and about eight people (only a couple pilots) working on it and all my stuff is on the ground! we have a shelter with tables behind the flightlines but even club officers used no common sense! the whole thing just ruined my day, i threw planes and all in the car without breaking them down and left. i believe in helping a new guy get going, but i don't believe the flightline should double as a building room. am i wrong?---henry

JohnVH 08-04-2002 09:47 PM

No your not wrong, if someone was moving my stuff around without asking Id be mad also thats just rude!

nun45 08-04-2002 09:49 PM

this guy and his family are from an influential island locally , and with that i reckon they feel they could do as they please!---henry

JohnVH 08-04-2002 09:52 PM

well, once they leave it alone, move it onto the ground and put your stuff back, petty, but will get the point across. Or confront them!

SDCrashmaster 08-04-2002 11:50 PM

Yeah,
It would be my hope that you didn't leave in a huff wuthout asking them whay they moved your stuff. Everyone knows that club tables are first come first serve.

Taildrager-inactive 08-05-2002 12:05 AM

30 years ago it would have been ***** kicking time, but now I would have justed moved to another table, or next time bring your own set up table like alot of us do at our club.

Crash_N_Burn 08-05-2002 12:35 AM

Even though there are a wealth of nice, considerate guys in this hobby....

...There are still more horse's a**es in the world than there are horses....

..You just found a few of them.........

nun45 08-05-2002 01:36 AM

huff is an understatement! i do not fly much in the heat as some of you from flightlines recall, i had an extremeley bad heatstroke last year, i may go once or twice a month, but when i do i go to FLY! with that said, i was just lookin for opinions, thanx.---henry

DGrant 08-05-2002 06:23 AM

Sorry to here this Henry....it does sound frustrating, and very rude to say the least. That's one thing I couldn't handle, and had that happened at my field, there would've been something flying other then planes.
My opinion is there is alot to sharing, and given that, if I were in that situation, and someone had "asked" me to give up my table, hey....I just might have........good chance of it anyhow.

But the lack of respect shown to you is very un-becoming of a fellow club member, and I think I would bring it up to those involved, with a club officer present. If it happened once, it could happen again.

I could never touch anybody elses table without getting permission, and then I'm still reluctant......I just couldn't do it. For someone to go to all trouble of removing your stuff............oooohhh....gggrrrr...man..I'm sorry dude. Hang in there.

The shaded tables would've done them nicely too. Why can people be so rude??

nun45 08-05-2002 03:33 PM

after chillin out a bit i feel i MAY have over reacted (or not!) but i do wish to thank y'all for your opinions!---henry

robert 08-06-2002 09:45 AM

Just don't let people like that ruin your hobby. I would've just gone to another table, and enjoyed my day flying.You don't need to give advice, chat with them, or lend any vitally needed equipment. Just feul up, fly, land, feul up, fly, land, feul up, fly, land, untill you are tired and want to go home.

nun45 08-06-2002 10:27 AM

there were no tables left. all those that had a table were working on mine with the new guy!---henry

Cyclic Hardover 08-06-2002 11:34 AM

Myself and several others bring out nice folding chairs. Every time we go off and do something and come back, somebody is sitting in my chair and its not "goldielocks." Now its okay when its somebody you know but total strangers is not acceptable. So I took a black marker and wrote in big letters on the front. KEEP OFF MY CHAIR.!

Cyclic Hardover 08-06-2002 11:38 AM

Originally posted by nun45
this guy and his family are from an influential island locally , and with that i reckon they feel they could do as they please!---henry
ELLIS? SICILY? :D

gubbs3 08-06-2002 11:00 PM

Although I've never had this happen at the flying field or race track, it happens all the time at school! Most of the time at lunch when you set your stuff down and you realize you forgot something so you get it and when you come back you find your stuff pushed to the end of the table. It is however, much easier to tell another 17 yr-old to screw off than an adult.

DGrant 08-07-2002 04:37 AM

I used to race RC off-road cars, and did what CyclicHardover did, took my own stool. The first time someone took it, it was cool, as I had put my name on the legs and they didn't see it. I got the chance to say "Hey...that's mine...and YES...it has my name on it". Fortunately, it was one of my friends..so I wasn't too worried about his reaction(not that any reaction would've bothered me).

Now though, in the club I'm in...that really never happens at all. It is a private club, and there seems to be alot of mutual respect, as should be anywhere though.

promag 08-07-2002 01:22 PM

No, it never happened with me!
I fly alone, im my own field, im my farm.
Sometimes I get bored to be alone and has no one to coment or change ideas.
Other side, I can fly as I want, go to swimmen pool, make my barbecure, go fly, land, go fly, etc..
Compensations of the life!

Geistware 08-07-2002 06:39 PM

I guess I don't get it.
What makes your table so special.
There had to be other tables available.

rcricky 08-07-2002 07:42 PM

Do what you want, just don't EVER touch my stuff without permission. Period.

MikeL 08-07-2002 08:36 PM

I'm not so sure I get it either. The only time I use a table is when I'm assembling or disassembling my planes. There aren't enough tables at my field, so when I'm done with either of the above I move my stuff off of the table. Somedays it's not so busy, so I leave it there. Occasionally, somebody will show up and move my stuff so they can use it. That's fine with me, as the table isn't there for my stuff--it's there for people to work on their planes.

It'd be different it someone damaged or stole any of my gear. So long as that's not happening, it's no skin off my back. Why let such a minor thing ruin a perfectly good day?

nun45 08-07-2002 09:03 PM

obviously some did not read the whole post. they were building a new plane on THE FLIGHTLINE table and not the repair- build tables under the shed. that in turn with the fact the other tables on the line were full, plus with bad knees i cannot get down on the mat to fuel up or start.---henry

MikeL 08-08-2002 03:37 AM

You mentioned that it was new and unfinished, but not your physical problems.

I don't know about most of you guys, but when I've got a new plane it's rarely 100% ready to go. I've always got linkages to adjust, or need to play with the radio a bit. I'm just a bit over anxious to get it out to the field and up in the air. Perhaps that's just me, though. :)

Did you mention your knees to the guys, or even say anything? How's a person to know about another's particular problems unless they're communicated? A few words go a long way towards understanding somebody else's circumstances. If you didn't say anything and they didn't know, who's to blame? People aren't mind readers, and new planes and pilots always bring a certain enthusiasm that sometimes doesn't overly consider the unspoken needs of others.

I just think there's better ways of dealing with the situation that getting mad and going home. How's that ever going to accomplish anything?

Shaun Evans 08-08-2002 07:43 AM

Well,

Good knees or bad knees, it seems a matter of common courtesy that one pilot would not move the property of another. Especially his planes. While on the ground, the planes are far more likely to get kicked or stepped on, too. I've often had people come up and ask whether or not I was using a particular space, then asking if I wouldn't mind moving over. That's perfectly OK, and any gentleman would gladly oblige. I do agree with Rickey, though, that I would never want someone to handle my airplane without my permission. I can't tell you how many times I've turned around to do something after having set my DF A-4 on a table, to return and find my hatches removed and people 'getting a closer look' at the insides. Or, tapping on the flight surfaces with their fingernails (and sometimes even digging their nails in to see how tough my fiberglass job is..). If someone were to pick it up, and while moving it, bumped one of the control surfaces against something hard, cracking or overstressing something in the hinges or linkages, do you suppose they'd come over and confess?<--------That's a true story, by the way. Therefor, don't handle my planes without permission, and I afford the other guy the same courtesy. If it's in my way, I will go and find out who belongs to it, and go from there. I think the author of the original post was well within his rights to get angry at the guys who disrespected his property like that.

nun45 08-08-2002 10:17 AM

some day i will be able to set my yellow a-4 on the flightline also, shaun!---henry

robert 08-08-2002 10:34 AM

Do what our club has, no tables at all!!!!

4*60 08-08-2002 06:20 PM

You did not over react. I am a newer pilot and even the 30 year veterans would not move my stuff without asking me. They would be ticked at anybody moving anybody else's stuff without permission. We respect each other and each others models and possessions out there.
When people sit in my lawn chair and I return to it, I generally make it known I would like to sit, unless they are in need of it more than me. We do have some people who show up at the field regularly and can't afford a lawn chair! :) We built hard picnic table benches for them. :)

Grampaw 11-09-2002 06:52 AM

There are never enough tables to go around so no one should leave anything on a table while out flying. If your plane is ready to fly, move it and your gear off the table. Its called courtesy. At our club we get our planes ready, then move them to the pit area along with all our gear leaving the table clear for the next guy. If one of us has a problem, and needs the table to correct it, we let him have it, and in most cases we will all gather around to help him. I have been in this club for ten years and cannot recall anyone getting bent out of shape over a table, and there is no club rule, written or implied, pertaining to use of the tables. It just happens. Then too we all just like each other a lot, and it's greaat to get out to enjoy the same hobby with your friends. Try it, you might like it.

Grampaw 11-09-2002 07:21 AM

Mikel I am a new member of RCU and have just seen these posts on the tables, and when I read yours I just had to say that every club could use a few guys with your attitude. Well said!

nun45 11-09-2002 01:22 PM

evidently some read what they want, or i am not being clear. the tables in question ARE the pit tables, we have a different set well behind the flightline for building activity. pit tables are for people like myself that cannot get down to the deck to do things.

bear750 11-09-2002 05:59 PM

I don't think everyone is getting the point. If the table in question is for the flightline, then only pilots with planes that are ready to fly should be using them. If you're building or repairing, go to that area. If you're helping someone build or repair, get your planes off the flightline tables so someone else can use them.

And Henry, If it were me, I'd have asked one of the group to give up his table if he was not using it at the time. If he refused, I'd kindly tell him to get back to his plane, ot I would remove it from the table.

JMHO

MikeL 11-09-2002 06:48 PM

Oh, I get the point about Henry's knees and the location of the table. I do understand the exubernce of a new plane, and the desire to help a guy get it in the air. Henry chose to leave without asking them to move, or explaining why he needed the table. If you're not going to communicate to others that they're causing you a difficulty, do you really have a leg to stand on?

I think this was a venting thread, which is useful. There's a good lesson to be learned here.

SRA Foam Flyer 11-09-2002 07:35 PM

I have seen 2 seperate incidents of something similar, but worse. On one occassion, the frenzy around the plane, and other non pilots coming over to see what was going on, 2 people while trying to tip-toe around tripped over each other and landed on three planes...all totalled.
On the second occassion people standing around forgot about the planes behind them. While turning around to leave, one stepped on the planes wing and the other kicked a fuse. I couldn't believe what I saw next, they actually gave each other a look and ran to their car and left. Got their plate and the police handled it.

This is why I keep my planes in the truck, when they are not flying. Between careless people and unwatched kids, they don't stand a chance.

Grampaw 11-10-2002 07:50 AM

We "Build" our planes at home, not out on a table at the club.
When they are ready to fly, then we take them to the field. It just seems to work better that way...at least for us.

Geistware 11-10-2002 02:20 PM

I guess this is why I "NEVER" use the flightline tables.

nun45 11-10-2002 04:31 PM

that is one of the reasons and things that have happened here that i have all but given up flying.