RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   Small workshop (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/3918990-small-workshop.html)

Roquewj 02-16-2006 12:29 PM

Small workshop

I just moved back to Brazil, after leaving abroad for 10 years.
My new home is in a condo and the space I have for my workshop is rather small.
I searched RCU for ideas on small workshops but didn't get much.
I wonder whether someone out there had the same situation and came out with a good layout.
The space I have is 10ft long x 6ft wide.
I don't need to store my planes in the workshop. There is a closed storage room in the garage, suitable to be turned into a hangar.
I'm on giant scale, so please consider this when submitting your ideas.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

khodges 02-16-2006 01:49 PM

RE: Small workshop

10 x 6 doesn't give you a lot of options, especially if you're building giant scale. Here's what I'd do:

Get a couple of hollow core doors, as short as you can find (ideally, 5' 11" ) and mount them to the short wall, one low enough that you can work at it while sitting, one high enough to work at while standing. Hinge the upper one so it will fold against the wall, and make some shelves, high enough that the upper work top will clear them when folded up. Make more shelves below the lower table. You will be able to build anything up to about 5' 10" long, which would be a 10-1/2 foot wingspan max. The shelf space will be your storage for adhesives, coverings, plans, wood, etc. You can also add some narrow shelves to the long walls, but you'll need as much maneuvering room in that closet as possible. The two work surfaces would be about 18 inches to 2 feet apart, you could conceivably frame up both wings at one time, or do a wing and the fuse.

That's about the only thing I can come up with to maximize your space, anybody else out there got any ideas?

pettit 02-17-2006 10:00 AM

My original workshop was an indoor room, 11' by 14', with a window, 2 doors, a washer, deyer and water heater, a stand-up freezer, work bench and lots of storage shelves.

I built many quarter scale models there.

Then I built a 12' by 24' outdoor workshop. Much better...

I don't care how big your workshop is. Sooner or later, it'll be too small!

Roquewj 02-17-2006 03:24 PM

Dick,
you're right, doesn't matter how big a workshop can be, it becomes small with time. I know, by experience.
My former workshop was much bigger and I had it stuffed with all kind of things.
But now, what I'm looking for is some ideas how to lay-out it in a way to take the best out of the small area I have.
Any more ideas out there?

Roquewj 02-23-2006 06:04 PM

Come on, guys !!!

Out of ideas? Well, looks like everyone has plenty of room and nobody has experience in building in small space.

No problem (as Alf would say).
I will find out how to fit all my stuff in that small area and will share it with you, here in RCU.

Have a good one.

Live Wire 02-23-2006 07:44 PM

You want to see a small space contact some of the people I build for:D 6 planes in a 10x12 room with a bed TV work bench and doll cabinet:D Don't ask:D Every thing there to have you in the air in a week.

Cheech 02-25-2006 08:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of my 8' long mini-space BEFORE and AFTER. I did this over the last couple of weekends. The work area is 8' x 34". The surface is laminated flooring over hardwood ply. The cabinets were el-cheapo unfinished oak that I had to stain and poly. The lower cabinets are set out 32" from the wall. I had to finish the sides back to the rear wall. The cabinets are only 24" deep or so. It came out pretty nice.

-Cheech

Roquewj 02-25-2006 10:42 AM

Cheech,

thanks, this is a nice smal workshop. Gave me some ideas, I'm sure I can use.

buzzingb 02-27-2006 10:46 AM

Metal desk with drawers make good work tables. Most have flat tops and the drawer are good for storage. Shop at used office furniture storess for one cheaply. Old school gym lockers can be retrofited with shelves also to storage.

Roquewj 07-31-2006 12:48 PM

I guess I was able to find a good lay-out for a small workshop in the available space I have.
Will post the drawing as soon as a I get it in .jpeg format.

76.ta 08-01-2006 06:35 AM

Build or buy a cart or two with as many shelfs as you can on wheels that will go through the door.When you go to work roll them out and when your done roll them back in.
I made a 3' x 8' cart on wheels with 3 shelves. Can Roll it out and back in by myself. Get plastic containers that fit on the shelves and you added that much more room.

Roy

carwood444 08-01-2006 07:34 PM

Organization is the key. Keep as much stuff as you can up off the floor. Hang everything possible. Mount as many shelves as you can on the walls.

Before you start to put things up step back and take a look at everything and try to decide what would fit good in certain spots and what would fit good in others.

I moved my airplane shop from a 16x24 room into a work shop 6'8 x 21. As things set right now except for a couple of bigger planes I have, it has worked out pretty good. I actually don't notice the loss of space near as bad as I thought I would.

The new airplane shop has it limits but by moving into a smaller space I was forced into finding ways to put things in order. Plus it is easy to take care of. Sometimes when you have a big area things tend to become cluttered. Then at that point you are still looking for room.

flicka5 08-02-2006 07:15 AM

My workshop is about 50' by 30' and still not enough space! About 1500 sq. ft.! Yeh, right, no organization![:o][:o]

weathervane 08-04-2006 09:19 PM

GOOD GRIEF

That is bigger than my house. WOW

Roquewj 09-02-2006 07:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)

My small workshop is starting to take place. I did design it keeping in mind that I would be able to handle one plane/helicopter at a time. Didn't need to worry about storage, because I have plenty of space at the parking floor.
Just remember this is a condo and all space I have is a 10 ft x 6 ft room.

Ok, this is what the room looks like on Friday morning, before we started:

Roquewj 09-02-2006 07:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Them I took all stuff out and cleared the area

Roquewj 09-02-2006 07:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Them we started working in putting the cabinets together.

Roquewj 09-02-2006 07:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Two interesting thinks I have designed that proved to be useful in the past and it is a must on this small workshop

The first is my electric tools wheel-cart. I will have my drill press, bandsaw and sander installed on top of it.
I added drawers that can store drills, small tools, supplies, etc. Underneath it will be the hangar for my vacuum cleaner.
The cart has brakes on the wheels, for safety.

Roquewj 09-02-2006 07:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)

The other feature I included on the design is a column of moving shelves.
The distance between shelves is 3 1/8" and the depth is one foot.
This is enough for a couple of large plastic box to hold screws, nut, servos and the zillion of small parts we all have to store at our workshop.
The shelves are big enough to accomodate Ziplock or similar freeze box you can find in any store at very low price.
Instead of drawers, I decided in favor of moving shelves to make it easy to access.

It will be the base where the workbench will be sitting.

Roquewj 09-02-2006 08:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)

This picture, took this morning, shows how we progressed so far.

I have shelves on the cabinet on the right of picture, spaced in different heights to accomodate my transmitter boxes, flight box, etc.
The pegboard is 80 x 45 in. and has proved to be big enough for all tools I need with easy access.

The workbench is 94 in. long and 24 in. wide. I do not plan to build anything with a wingspan longer than 85".

See how the wheel-cart fits well in the wall.

Roquewj 09-05-2006 06:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The job is completed. Now I only need to unpack all my tools and start working on my planes/helis.

Roquewj 09-17-2006 04:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The workshop starts to take shape.

Today I begun unpacking some tools and organizing the pegboard. Also worked a little bit on the layout of the wheel-cart.
I have 3 electric tools on the cart: the bandsaw, drill press and a old dremel band and disc sander. The idea is to have them all placed in a way I can use either without interfering with the other two.

So far, this is what I did:

Roquewj 09-17-2006 04:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The chair is convenient. You can adjust the height for both the seat and the footrest, so you can have it the best way you want.

And fits the workshop very well, too. I can swing to both tables, without a problem.