RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   Are you a superstitious pilot? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/4541423-you-superstitious-pilot.html)

Bosch232 07-24-2006 11:29 PM

Are you a superstitious pilot?

It must be my conservative Heartland upbringing, but I have never been superstitious about anything.
Until airplanes. :eek:

I have noticed that when assembling my quarter scale Sopwith, I will always install the left N strut first, and I will even go so far as to put down the other one if I happen to pick it up first.

Can't explain why exactly, but this plane has a lot of things to babysit on it, so perhaps it's just me being methodical about keeping all my ducks in a row during setup and prep. During my pre flight checks, I always test a left aileron turn first, before right. Same with the rudder, I always test left first. Is this superstitious or just systematic?

This doesn't weigh heavy on my mind, it's just a topic to chew the fat. ;)

FOD MAN 07-24-2006 11:42 PM

RE: Are you a superstitious pilot?

1 Attachment(s)
I dont really consider that superstitious, when in the army we did pre-flight inspections on our helicopters in a certain order so that we would not miss any problems. we started at one end and went around . what i call superstitious is the one's who will not photograph a new plane until after the maiden flight so as not to jinx it

MinnFlyer 07-25-2006 07:18 AM

I've never been superstitious and I never will (Knock on wood)

:D

japan3d 07-26-2006 02:03 AM

ORIGINAL: FOD MAN

I dont really consider that superstitious, when in the army we did pre-flight inspections on our helicopters in a certain order so that we would not miss any problems. we started at one end and went around . what i call superstitious is the one's who will not photograph a new plane until after the maiden flight so as not to jinx it
You can count me in on this one. Took photos of my Edge 540 for a construction page on my website, plane lasted 1 minute. No pictures until after the first flight!!!

jongurley 07-26-2006 06:39 AM

I have a habit/superstition of putting the Left wing on first everytime on my extra 300,,,,

trioval00 07-26-2006 07:23 AM

I don't have any superstitions for my flying, but we did have one when we raced stock cars, and we stuck to it every week.

before we left for the track, my son washed the stock car, trailer and tow vehicle. even if it was raining and it was to clear up for the evening racing, he still wash everything.

for the times we didn't wash, it seemed the car was placed on the trailer by a tow truck at the track,
so the final year we finished our racing season, he washed everything before every race , 21 races, 18 top 5's, finished every lap on the lead lap and NO dnf's or dns's

mark

BasinBum 07-26-2006 07:33 AM

I firmly believe in never saying," last flight" or ,"one more" at the end of the day. It may very well be the plane's last flight. I always say, "I'm gonna fly again". Superstitious maybe, but why put the thought in your head that may be a self fulfilling prophecy.

TLH101 07-26-2006 09:06 AM

Same as Basin Bum's above, and, three consecutive problems, no matter how large or small, time to pack it in and go home. Trying to tell me something.:D

aa2dd 07-26-2006 06:21 PM

Hi Guys .....

How many of you flyers will use parts from a crashed bird on a new one? Wheels nuts,bolts, etc?

aa2dd
Bruce

Bosch232 07-26-2006 06:53 PM

I have no problem salvaging tail gear or whatever if it's usefull.
I do that all the time with wire harnesses, otherwise this hobby would get more expensive for me.

I'll second the "three consecutive problems" thing.
There seems to be a certain karma (although I get nauseated even *using* such a word) about airplanes.
At certain times all is well and the confidence level is up, and other times if there are a few loose ends, you feel like you're on borrowed time.

pettit 07-27-2006 07:49 AM

Yes, I am, for sure.

Just before every flight, I say these two things out loud :

1- "God Bless America" and

2- The Pilots Prayer, "Lord, Don't let me screw up too bad".

Yes, I take photos before the first flight. It may be my only chance to do so!

proptop 07-27-2006 07:56 AM

Read my sig line...:D;)

Hossfly 07-27-2006 10:24 PM

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

I firmly believe in never saying," last flight" or ,"one more" at the end of the day. It may very well be the plane's last flight. I always say, "I'm gonna fly again". Superstitious maybe, but why put the thought in your head that may be a self fulfilling prophecy.
Never thought I would ever agree with Basin Bum, but here it is: solid agreement. [X(] Will the sky fall?

Not a flying field thing but how is it that every time I mix a batch of epoxy or paint, the wifey has some chore pop-up that simply cannot be postponed even a minute? :eek:

TimC 07-27-2006 11:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: japan3d

ORIGINAL: FOD MAN

You can count me in on this one. Took photos of my Edge 540 for a construction page on my website, plane lasted 1 minute. No pictures until after the first flight!!!
About 40 seconds.

Cyclic Hardover 07-27-2006 11:36 PM

ORIGINAL: Bosch232

It must be my conservative Heartland upbringing, but I have never been superstitious about anything.
Until airplanes. :eek:

I have noticed that when assembling my quarter scale Sopwith, I will always install the left N strut first, and I will even go so far as to put down the other one if I happen to pick it up first.

Can't explain why exactly, but this plane has a lot of things to babysit on it, so perhaps it's just me being methodical about keeping all my ducks in a row during setup and prep. During my pre flight checks, I always test a left aileron turn first, before right. Same with the rudder, I always test left first. Is this superstitious or just systematic?

This doesn't weigh heavy on my mind, it's just a topic to chew the fat. ;)
I would not call it superstition but that you have developed a "system" and this is good. After a while when you realize a break in your system, better pause and go back and check thngs up to the point where some clown started talking to you while you were getting ready. Part ofmy system is not to dive into a plane at the field. My planes arrive at the field ready to go. If something happens and it requires diving into the cowl or an hour of it all, I bag it and pack it up.

I ignore everybody until my plane is assembled. I learned a lucky lesson a few years ago. Brought out a hot P-51. People start gathering and talking and whats this and why's that. After I had the plane ready to go I kicked back for a while helping some buddies with some 40% planes. I lost track of time and most of my morning was shot, so I decided to head home.

I take my P-51 apart. I remove the scoop and notice I never installed the wing bolts!!! In this same respect i have seen guys distracted and forget to connect servo leads and take off and fly a nice healthy extra with only rudder. There are too many guys showing up at fields with no brainpower whatsoever and they're thrilled to death about it.

SoonerAce 08-05-2006 06:48 PM

On a maiden if anyone distracts me, I simply sit down, silently wait for them to fizzle out and go away. Close my eyes and envision the new plane flying to a nice landing. Then I get up and start setting the plane up again. People who know me know when Ive been distracted, as I appear to be meditating.

Flyfalcons 08-05-2006 08:40 PM

On a review or promo plane, I'll take pics of it before its first flight. Other than that, I never take a completed picture of my planes before I send them up for the first time. Video is okay though.

JCOKEEFE 08-05-2006 09:10 PM

[8D]Sounds pretty systematic to me, which is good. But only
you know whether or not it is.

Oh, by the way, as I was walking down the sidewalk this
afternoon, I avoided stepping on the cracks and avoided
walking under all ladders.

aimmaintenance 08-07-2006 06:25 AM

While flying combat I have noticed that if I have a problem with my plane/engine etc and have to rush to get up in the 90 second time. I almost always crash in that round.

I think it's just a panic mode that carries over into that flight and I can't concentrate.

Now when I have a problem on startup. I will stop and check over my entire plane and wait for the 90 seconds to end before I launch. Sure I lose 20 points but I usually will not crash when I do that.

Hemikiller 08-07-2006 08:14 AM

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

Ditto, no "one last flight" for me. Dropped two planes in the brush on my "one last flight".

Phlip 08-09-2006 06:49 PM

Maybe one of you guys who admits to being somewhat superstitous can answer this for me ... off of the topic of R/C, but on the supertition topic: Why do ballplayers; who have their superstitions like fiddling with batting gloves, or not washing their helmets, or not wearing a new cap all Summer; never change their routines even when they're in the middle of a terrible slump or on the disabled list? This has been bugging me for years!

Phil

tailskid 08-09-2006 09:39 PM

superstitous? Me? Only on February 30th!

khodges 08-10-2006 09:20 AM

ORIGINAL: aa2dd

How many of you flyers will use parts from a crashed bird on a new one? Wheels nuts,bolts, etc?

aa2dd
Bruce

I midaired my first plane, a Kadet MkII, with a 1/4 scale Cub, my plane completely disintegrated and some parts were not found (servos, Rx, engine) for over a year. They were eventually discovered in the top of a large cedar tree. One of the servos is now the throttle servo in a 1/4 scale gas plane, and the Rx is in a Rascal 40 I fly almost every day I go to the field, and I've had no problems with either one. The engine, a Tower .46, has been in a couple of other planes, runs great.

As far as ballplayers' superstitions go, all I can say is:

"HEY BARTENDER---- Jobu needs a Refill!!!":D