RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   O'Brien Hobby experience (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/5709157-obrien-hobby-experience.html)

dmcmike 04-13-2007 07:16 AM

O'Brien Hobby experience

I recently purchased servos for my GP Ultimate from these people, at a pretty good price. They advertise items pretty regularly on RCU. Well, the order was placed over 2 weeks ago, and i'm still without servos. To compound my frustration, I check my bank account yesterday, and see a SECOND CHARGE for the servos, another $460 dollars!
So, i get on the phone with them and was assured that the erroneous charge would be reversed immediately. I followed up the phone call with an email to them, just to document our conversation and what they had told me they would do. Now it's 24 hours later, and there is still no credit to my account. I'll be filing a dispute with my bank this morning on the second charge, and since I still havent' received any servos that they tell me were shipped a week ago, I intend to dispute the first charge as well, at least until the merchandise is delivered.

I'll check back on here and let you all know what happens. I find it rather insulting that first they hold the merchandise for 5 days "waiting for the CC to clear their account". that's a first! Then before I even have the package, they turn around and charge me again!

I've sent them another email this morning (with a delivery and read receipt attached to it) asking them to call me ASAP. If things get worked out, meaning the $$$ is back in my account, I'll let everyone on here know immediately.

mcmike

dmcmike 04-13-2007 10:12 AM

RE: O'Brien Hobby "our prices can't be beat"... Seriously! Watch out!

ok... i'm calming down now... Just got off the phone with Doug @ Obriens. He tells me he has credited my account, and has apologized "profusely" (did I really spell that) about the double charges. He's also forwarding to me the tracking or verification number of the shipment. I guess I may have jumped the gun, not knowing that it takes the money grubbing banks 3 or 4 days to re-credit your account... so, if I may, I'll eat some crow, and if everything goes as Doug is telling me, I apologize for being a bit "miffed", and will let everyone know when I receive the servos, and the credit.

dmcmike 04-14-2007 07:15 AM

More from obriens... After 2 more phone calls yesterday evening, I finally get a 'delivery confimation' number rom them. They told me they emailed it to me, but even after waiting over 12 hours, I've got no email from them. Anyway, I checked the number they gave me and it says the package was delivered to GIG HARBOR WASHINGTON! uh, that's nice, but I live in illinois! Was told that I'd get a phone call this morning to try to work things out. I'm now convinced that they're either 1) totally incompetent or 2) totally dishonest and fraudulent. Hopefully, I'll get a refund. Since I put it on a CC, I'm going to have to file another dispute with my bank, after filing one yesterday over the double charges. So far, i'm down about $900, no servos, no answers.

Then in my email this morning, i get an email from Yahoo Shopping, which is where they have their 'store', asking me to review the transaction... I'll review it all right, as well as forward all email correspondence to my local police.

I've never ever bad-mouthed a hobby related retailer in my life, but that just changed.

dmcmike 04-16-2007 08:19 PM

got the credit today, and got a shipment of servos... that was WRONG! If I ever get the right order, i'll be surprised.
[:@]

JL636 04-18-2007 12:31 PM

Had a similiar experiance with them. Ordered a servo and waited and waited some more. Emailed them with no response so I called them, the person on the other end stated "oh we just got your money order", problem is I checked with the bank and it had been cashed several days before. Granted my purchase was no where near the dollar value of yours but the situation seems pretty close. I don't like being lied to and as a result of that experiance, I'm done with them. Joe

bruce88123 04-18-2007 02:32 PM

RE: O'Brien Hobby experience

You think you have problems?

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5669012/tm.htm

I feel sorry for both of you. Trust me that these people will never see a nickle from me.

dmcmike 04-18-2007 06:46 PM

I pm'd him (fella in the referenced thread) some of my information, er, misinformation depending on your viewpoint, that I got from o'brien. Was given a usps tracking number today, but typical, I checked this evening, giving the usps system plenty of time to enter the number, and you guessed it. They don't have any record of it....

Josey Wales 04-19-2007 01:06 PM

No doubt ordering from these people was THE WORST experience Ive ever had[:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(]

No way would I even consider ordering anything there again..plenty of other places to pick from that know how to treat their customers..

Redwings 04-19-2007 05:49 PM

I ordered a Kadet from them on March 20th and on a email sent back to me on April 6th they said it would arrive in two to three business days. Well as of today it has not arrived and they have not responded to my 3 emails. STAY AWAY FROM THEM!!!!!!!!!

mscic-RCU 04-20-2007 01:53 PM

It might be time for all of you to file charges with the state attorney generals office and report them to the local better business bureau.

bruce88123 04-20-2007 02:15 PM

In case you need/want it, here is the info for the BBB for Londonberry,NH

BBB of New Hampshire, Inc.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (603) 224-1991
Fax: (603) 228-9035
25 Hall Street, Ste. 102
Concord NH 03301

IMO you certainly need to raise some attention to this guy. In all fairness, be sure ALL of your information is accurate.

Good hunting.

bruce88123 04-20-2007 02:23 PM

The Attorney General is part of their Dept of Justice

33 Capitol Street
Concord, NH 03301
Telephone (603) 271-3658
Fax (603) 271-2110
TDD Access: Relay NH 1-800-735-2964

Normal business hours are 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday

Redwings 04-20-2007 05:09 PM

I spoke to them today and I was told that they have had a number of packages sent in error to the state of Washington. They also mentioned that they have made it right with the people who have had problems. I am to get a new plane sent to me at no charge UPS in the next few days. I mentioned that I hope that they do not charge my CC as others have had in the past. WE Will See.

Josey Wales 04-20-2007 05:30 PM

I dont really feel they are out to intentionally rip anyone off..HOWEVER they need to realize when people pay for something they expect the item to be delivered as promised and in a timely manner..They also need to tell people when items are not in stock instead of just charging them and THEN delivering the product weeks..or in my case months later. Its called customer service and if they don't get their act together they wont be around much longer.

Redwings 04-20-2007 05:41 PM

Josey I believe you may correct or hope you are!!

dmcmike 04-20-2007 09:31 PM

My package was to be delivered at the "end of the week" . After speaking to Doug @ obriens today, he tells me that means saturday. So, I'll get up early, go downtown, about a 50 mile round trip, and see if it came. If it didn't, I'm going to make use of the Atty Genl both here in Illinois, in New Hampshire, and possibly on a civil and federal level, as well as filing a dispute with my CC company for the original billing. I too was told my first shipment went to Washington state, and was given a shipping number that said that. I'd be curious to compare shipping numbers with those people who have had problems over the past couple of weeks, just to see if they're not all the same. I've tried to be "open minded" and give him the benefit of the doubt, but I'm starting to feel like I've been played for a sucker.... tomorrow morning will tell..

BTW, Doug has been "monitoring" this thread... :D

and Bruce... thanks for the info!

Scalenut52 04-21-2007 04:48 PM

SOME OF O'BRIEN HOBBIES REVIEWS ONLINE.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good prices, fast shipping, open communicaton. Highly recommend"

Ordered on-line on 12/12/06. Credit card billed on 12/13/06. Package delivered on 12/23/06. Some of the shipping delay may simply be holiday related. Very pleased with OBrien Hobbies and will definitely do business with them again."

Ordered the Great Planes Gee Bee ARF kit. They had the best price on the internet. Item shipped the next day. Super service. I will always search their site before future purchases. John In Phoenix"

Hello: I can tell you this, is one of the very best vendors on the internet yet! Very honest and helpful in getting all of the excessories that I needed to fly my helicopter, unbeliavable shipping rates, and prices that cannot be beat! also if you have a question to ask it will be answered the same day! I will certianly tell all of my friends here in Az. about OBriens Hobbies and would reccomend them to all! Thank you Doug and family, for making my purchasing experence with OBriens Hobby one of my very best! Jerry in Az. ... "

good service and fast shipping,wuold do bus. with again"

My recent Purchase of acPCM radio was handled very well even though I mistakenly sent the wrong expiritation date on my card in the origional order. These people were nice and cordule in informing me of my mistake and were quick to expidite my order once I corrected my blunder.Werry nice and service oriented people. Shopping with them is a pleasant experience which I will continue to recommend and support."

Vey fast responce to e-mails. Very good prices, Fast shipment"

Their prices really cant be beat... theyre actually lower than the well known hobby shops and other online stores. Service is excellent, e-mails answered quickly; Doug is very helpful and knowledgable. I can unequivocally recommend this store for your hobby purchases!"

I am very well pleased with my product and in dealing with OBrien Hobbies. I will certainly check with them in my future RC Needs. Thanks Doug."

fast feedback response and delivery"

Excellent service with the best prices I could find,an unbeatable combination in my book! I will be doing business with these folks in the future for sure. A real pleasure to do business with."

OBrien Hobbies - Our Prices Cant Be Beat ! That says It all"

OBrien Hobbies is one of the best places to buy servos from. From start to finish they are very happy to return emails and they ship their product out very fast and last but not least Their prices are the best around. Thanks guys, keep up the good work!!!!!!!!!!!"

I find the triton charger one of the finest and thank you for your fast repys ka0hyz"

Product as advertised, fast shipping, ope communication."

In the last month, Ive spent well over 750.00 in Buying new transmitter, with upgraded synthesizer modual, and aluminum radio case..and then just a few weeks later I ordered several hundred dollars worth of new servos for another project that Im working on....The only problem Ive had has been getting the handle mounted screwdriver that was to come with the Synthesizer modual that I bought to go with the Futaba 9 CAP Tx I bought from OBrien Hobbies.( they did send a small screwdriver to use until the CORRECT ones come in)...But overall their prices are the Best that Ive found, they carry a wide array of products from Most of the Manufactures in the R/C field..So that gives you a Huge choice of items at the Best prices around...For future shopping, Ill check with OBrien Hobbies first,..if they dont have it..its probably NOT made...all kidding aside,..OBrien Hobbies is MY outlet for R/C products ... "

very friendly helpful .promt shipment .well packaged .will use for future rc needs."

Quick shipment, excellent communication, great!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Excellent, just as ordered, fast well packed could not be better A++++++++++++++"

Just like advertised/Very happy with puchase/Would buy from again!"

Prompt shipping. Fast service. Nice to do business with."

THANK YOU VERY MUCH VERY FAST AND SERIOUS POWER SELLER"

Great Transaction!! Fast Shipping!! Thanks!!"

solid, honest transaction. Will do business with again. Thanks"

PLEASURE TO DO BUSINESS WITH. I'M VERY HAPPY A++++++++"

THIS IS THE BEST DEALER I VE DEALT WITH!THE MOST CONSIDERATE EVER!**************"

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.PROMPT DELIVERY,EXCELLENT CONDITION.Excellent communacation.A"

great transaction, super fast shipment, pleasure to do business with!!"

Professional & patient seller. Went the extra mile for the buyer!"

Good and friendly communication * Thanks from Germany"

Fast and easy transaction. Couldn't have been any better. Highly recommended!"

One of the best, lighting fast shipping, Highly recommend AAAAAA+++++++"

Doug - O'Brien Hobbies

bruce88123 04-21-2007 08:11 PM

Scalenut - what is YOUR point? You have 2 entire posts on RCU, the one above and an identical one (against RCU rules BTW) in the other thread
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5669012/tm.htm post #21
Do you work for them?

What is at issue is what is happening to these poor guys in these threads and NOT what may or may not have happened before. Perhaps service quality used to be better or there is another explanation. If you really want to help, get the store owners to perform and contact these people with the truth about what is going on. IF that's in your power. I say that because I see you are in the same town as them.

Josey Wales 04-21-2007 08:13 PM

ORIGINAL: bruce88123

Do you work for them?

Yep..he is the owner[8D]

BTW did you get your package mcmike ?

Scalenut52 04-21-2007 09:26 PM

Hi Guys.

My point IS...... things may look a certain way ( and I can appreciate that) BUT , THEY ARE NOT. We are currently working to repair the damage caused by outside sources to our customers orders. Contact , Yuval Vankin, Tom Myerick , Joe Greir, and they can verify that. For Mr. McMichael I am hoping that his order problems were settled today. I will not know until monday when i can check with my postamaster. The mistake we made on his order was double charging his credit card, but we took care of that right away, as I'm sure he can confirm. For his troubles Mr. McMichael revceved a $80 digital servo on the house.

Why doesnt somebody look up all the complaints against Tower Hobbies or other mail order houses for that matter. In defense of ourselves. look up all the complaints filed against USPS, UPS, DHL and Fedex last year alone.

Like I said, I can fully understand how this situation may appear a certain way, but all we ask is to take a look at our previous records, and anyone can see that we are not in the business of frauding people! Have we made mistakes, yes. Will we in the future, probably. Who doesnt. But the major major problems with about 15 of our customers orders in the last 3 weeks do not lie on our shoulders.

With the help of one of these customers in Texas, I have gotten the info to contact the FBI and Postamster General regarding a large amount of missing, lost or delayed pacakges coming from our shop in the last 3 weeks alone.

All I ask from my customers ( and i hate to ask them to wait) is to hold out, THE PROBLEMS WIL BE CORRECTED, AND FIXED. We will make things right in the end. Last year we completed over 2300 mailorder between our website, RCU and Ebay. We had only about 6 or 7 customers that we could not fully satisfy, due to exact situations like this.

Now you can trust my word in our past records or not. If we were to delibertly conduct business like this, my freinds we would have been out of business a long time ago.

We all share the same hobby and interests, it is a damn shame problems like this can occur. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to email me.

Thank you

DOUG

O'Brien Hobbies

Scalenut52 04-21-2007 09:28 PM

I would like to stress again, I understand how things look. Im not saying I maybe wouldnt feel that same way a few of you do....... but Im asking to rely on over 600 positive comments available online about our shop.

Thanks Again

Goodnigt

DOUG

O'Brien Hobbies

Scalenut52 04-21-2007 09:29 PM

In regards to "bruce88213" with my lack of posts on the RCU forums. I simply dont have time to browse them, I wish i did, Im sure there is lots of great info on there. I think this is what you are getting at.

Thanks

DOUG

O'Brien Hobbies

bruce88123 04-21-2007 09:54 PM

I just hope everyone comes out of all this satisfied. I also hope all involved parties will keep us updated so we can regain our confidences.

Must be something extraordinary going on if the FBI needs to get involved.

Scalenut52 04-21-2007 10:45 PM

Hello,

Everything will be satisifed Bruce, that I can guarantee you. As for FBI and Postmaster I have reason to beleive that some of the orders we are shipping out are being stolen or intentionaly delayed or whatever. In the past 3-4 weeks, I have had over a dozen instances like this. That is about how many problems we had ALL last year total. After 5 years of doing this and shipping up to 100-150 packages a week, we expect about 2-4 problems a month with shipping, but not a dozen.

I'm just trying to offer an assurance that this is NOT how we conduct business. I understand patience is a hard thing to ask for in extreme cases like Mr. McMichael for example, but I have to ask for it.

Thank you again

DOUG

O'Brien Hobbies

Scalenut52 04-21-2007 10:47 PM

If you get any further questions or comments that a member would like forwarded to me, please feel free to do so at anytime.

DOUG

O'Brien Hobbies