RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   Toledo 2007 was,,,,ok,,(sigh),, (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/5721509-toledo-2007-ok-sigh.html)

bofrcr 04-15-2007 08:04 PM

Toledo 2007 was,,,,ok,,(sigh),,

Hey guys,, once again,, another toledo show is history. Where things kinda slim this year? There was no where near the crowds to fight,, and the empty display tables where almost alarming!! WHAT THE HECK'S GOING ON??? I've been attending this show every year for over 40 years,, and this has been the slowest I've seen! I even got a good parking place!! LOL Now don't get me wrong,, It's definately the high light of the year,,modeling wise,, and living an hour's drive away makes it a MUST attend! Without a doubt,, the 2.4 g radio technology was/is the best thing to happen to the hobby since going from reeds to proportional!! And,, it's alway's fun to meet up with folks you may chat with,,and get to finally meet,, a comment I had overheard was that with the internet today,, we are more up to date with information,,not like the old days,,when the magazines had a 2-3 month lag,, anyway,, I will ALWAYS,,attend the show,, good bargains,,neat things to see,, everybody in the hobby should at least once,, attend the show,, ok,, I'll stop rambling,,LOL

76.ta 04-16-2007 07:56 AM

RE: Toledo 2007 was,,,,ok,,(sigh),,

It seemed like less people but the ones that were there were spending $$$$
I sold as much product as years past and all the venders I talked to said the same.

I think something needs to be done as far as the hotel is concerned. When we were there in 2006, they told us they were going to totally remodel the hotel (Seagate)before 2007.
Went this year--the lobby smelled like sewage had been spilled on the carpet. Rooms (we had 3) were filthy and run-down. When we talked to the lady at the desk because she did not give us our show discount, her response was, 'That's the price. Do you want the room?' We then showed her the confirmation number with the fax that they gave us with the quoted discounted price her response was, 'Whatever.' We did get our discount, though. All of this was done with a pencil that she had in her mouth, chewing on the end of it. Not real professional for a hotel hosting a convention.

As far as parking, we drove into the hotel parking lot and after pulling in, the guy goes, 'We're full. Did you see the sign?' We drove around for some time before finding a parking lot that was within walking distance, considering we had to carry lots of luggage, etc.

One working elevator was not acceptable and security guards that would stand in the middle of the hotel hallway talking and when groups of people would come through, would make you walk around them instead of moving to the side. Not to mention no smiles or hellos--just standing there.

The convention itself and the RC people were as great as ever. But if the hotel doesn't get their act together, I think it's time for them to lose a major event. Just my two cents.

mscic-RCU 04-16-2007 01:56 PM

I thought the crowds were down, and the lack of display models was alarming. I think the ARF's are taking its toll on the building contests. I found it ironic that they made the fuel people move their product outside of the building but expo was full of lion batteries. I don't think a case of fuel ever spontaneously combusted, too bad I can't say the same about lion batteries!

Ron Olson 04-16-2007 02:11 PM

I have to agree from a visitors standpoint. I've been hitting the show since the old days at the Sports Arena across the river. A lot of the regular dealers were no-shows this year. The fuel dealers I heard were selling fuel inside on Friday but it must be that the Fire Marshal must have came in a booted the fuel outside. Three dealers that normally have large booths loaded with cases of fuel ended up by sitting there with a table plus a couple of chairs taking orders for outside pick-up.
I was there Saturday and the crowds did seem to be smaller than previous years. I heard that Friday was slower than normal also as I went there 2 years ago on a Friday and it was just about as busy as any Saturday.
Gas prices almost made me want to stay home and may have been a factor for others not to make the drive.
The plane competition was down this year as there was plenty of open spaces on the tables but the competition was still just as tough.
You're far from the first to complain about the hotel as I've heard the same thing all over the place about it. The "food" was terrible and way over-priced so nothing new there. I had to pay $3.00 for a Pepsi because my blood sugar was dropping. I went to the new Packo's At The Park afterwards to eat.

carwood444 04-16-2007 03:31 PM

Fuel prices, high cost for everything from food to hotel rooms. And nothing all that different from last year. I guess that kind of sums it up.

rc-sport 04-16-2007 05:04 PM

I agree on the assesment on the Seagate, I stayed there 3 years ago and it was the nastiest hotel I had ever been in. I sent a letter of disgust to the manager and never heard a word back. It's a shame that it still is nasty. Seems like the whole town of Toledo is going down the drain too.

RCPilot100 04-16-2007 07:09 PM

I was there on Friday and thought the crowd was about the same as every Friday - the line at 10:00 or so to get tickets was as long as ever. So we hit the tables upstairs and they were about 2/3 of what they were in years past. The display tables on Friday were a bit slim, but were pretty much full on Saturday. On Saturday the crowds were as big as ever - walking thru some of the the aisles was impossible. Yes, the price of food was ridiculous. Why they don't take a hint from Mudhens across the street - decent prices and they sell all kinds of stuff. The only deal on food were the nutty bars for $1.25 - I had three of them. The Tony Packos down the street is ok - the original one on Front street has more atmosphere. Talking with several of the young lovelies that work there, the weekend of the show is the biggest weekend at Packos - and judging by the crowds at Tonys, the show was as big as ever. The crowds at the sports arena may have seemed bigger, but you have to remember that the Seagate is bigger than the sports arena. The only annoyance I had was one vendor who tried telling me that the aircraft he was selling was better than the one I was carrying. Rather than telling me about his - how it was built - the materials ... he tried selling me what he had by knocking what I had already bought. What an egghead. I may have bought one of his because I liked the way it was built - but I ended up telling him he was a jerk for using that sales technique and took a walk before I told him what I really thought. I really didn't buy anything, but ended up $400.00 lighter, not counting eats & beer. YES, I will go again next year - have for 20 or so - never felt letdown. Of course it is an hour away for me, so I don't stay there overnight - but if you want to drive 15 minutes or so, you can find some really nice hotels. Tell the Seagate how you feel by spending your $$ elsewhere - and let them know - they may get the hint.

Dan

BUDMAN27 04-16-2007 08:33 PM

Boy this is sounding bad for someone who has never been but would like to go someday. To bad we cant get them to move it down here in Galveston Texas. For one thing it would make it easy on me and another thing We have great places to stay, a bran new 45 million dollar water park called Schlitterbahn , a realy great aviation museum called Lone Star Flight Museum. Oh I could go on and on but it would have to come down here and see it all for your self. Oh yes befor I forget to mention we have a brand new convention center on the sea wall. ;)

carwood444 04-17-2007 06:00 AM

You would have to live in the Toledo Metro area as I do to really understand just how bad things really are in this town. Toledo has lost so much manufacturing over the past few years, the tax base is going to you know where in a hand basket. Everything that can move out of town has, and the business's that haven't are looking.

The powers to be in Toledo refuse to cut there spending and only agree on one thing, how are we going to raise new tax money next year.

It's really a shame. 25 yrs ago this used to be a pretty vibrant town, now it is starting to live up to the Rust Belt title of the upper midwest. The shape that the hotel is in kind of proves a point.

donhef 04-17-2007 12:55 PM

I agree. Being a Holland/Swanton guy (my Boy still lives in Napoleon and goes to NHS), and being away for 12 years, this City really has gone to the dogs...literally. I had to ask my Mother, why was everything growing real estate wise outside the city limits, if the manufacturing jobs were going away? Who are going to buy the new Mcmansions past Reynolds road?

This being my first time going to the show, I guess I'm not as jaded in the reports from the guys who stayed at the hotel, I had my Mom's place...but then again, I had to sleep w/4 dogs, 2 birds, 2 rats, two kids (niece & nephew), my Son and family of 3.......in a small bed! But I couldn't beat the atmosphere!

Don

captinjohn 04-17-2007 02:47 PM

I did not go (sore foot) to the Expo this year but have went many times before. My friends that did go where really dissapointed. Hardly any aircraft for show, they said. The lighting up stairs in the swap show area was very poor (dim). Also they said it was very cold up there also. This was on Saturday. I do not think I am going next year with high prices of gas...food..and about everything there. Its just not worth it to me. Let me know when it gets better!!! Capt,n[:@]

Ron Olson 04-17-2007 03:42 PM

I also noticed how dark it was upstiars in that one very crowded little area. If the Fire Marshall has a gripe, that's where it should be at, not with the fuel dealers.

RCKen 04-17-2007 04:01 PM

I thought the crowds were about the same as last year. I thought that the crowds friday morning were pretty thick because I had the roughest time getting around the floor to shoot video for RCU!! I can't speak to the quality the Seagate Hotel as we stayed in the Wyndham (now called the Toledo Riverfront Hotel), which is about 3 blocks down the street from the convention center. This hotel was nice and I enjoyed the stay there. The staff was very friendly and extremely helpful the entire time we were there. The only bad part of this hotel is that there is no on site parking, but they have valet parking that will ferry your car down to their off site parking. It takes about 15-30 minutes for them to bring your car up when you need it, so it was good to call ahead. But this wasn't a problem at all because the hotel shuttle bus will take care of running you anyplace you need to go. It got us back and forth the convention center each day as well as getting us to resturants for dinner each night. I'll stay here next year for sure.

Ken

carwood444 04-17-2007 06:04 PM

There's alot of builders in this area going belly up. The pace of new construction in Perrysburg and Sylvania has slowed to a crawl. The really amazing thing is the number of foreclosures. You see more of these in the news paper in one day now than you would in a whole year. Say 5 or 6 years ago.

This is the first time in my adult life I have really started to give consideration to leaving this area. I have lived in Fulton county all my life. Of course in this area how goes Lucas county and Toldeo so goes the surrounding area. Of course than you have the disaster to the north Detroit. That is not helping things around here either.

carwood444 04-17-2007 06:15 PM

To address your other point about the house's that are being built south of Maumee and West it is truly amazing. I will never be able to understand where the people come from that can afford these mansion's. Some of these people are paying more in property tax's than I am going to make this year. I can not figure where all thiese job's come from in this area that pay this kind of money. I must be missing something somewhere.

I do some work for different insurance companies in the area and I drive through some of the sub-divisions in Sylvania and Perrysburg and over by Angola and Hill and it's like oh my God, are these places for real.

The days are long gone when a 2500 sqr. ft. house was considered big. Several of these homes are 4000 to 6000 sqr ft. on up.

PLANE JIM 04-17-2007 06:16 PM

I sure wish we could get a major show close to Houston TX or Galveston would be fun too.

Ron Olson 04-17-2007 06:24 PM

It has looked like they have tried to fix up the area around the SeaGate with the 5/3 ballpark in hopes that others would follow with rebuilding that area. The roads are awful and once you get a few blocks away, it's still a run-down ghetto. Getting to the SeaGate is easy, getting out of town is another story.
The company that I work for had a plant in Perrysburg but closed it up as they were competing against themselves with it. I work for what is now Graphic Packagaing but was also before known as James River and then Fort James when they joined up with Fort Howard Paper.

Carwood, we have the same thing going on in this city. The Kalamazoo Prominse (look it up if you want) is supposed to bring in new families to this city but where are the people going to work? One big outfit, Pfizer, is downsizing its workforce yet they're still building big cribs around here like crazy. It makes me wonder who has that kind of money to buy these, it's sure not me!

Steve Collins 04-18-2007 08:35 AM

Particularly disappointing is the swapmeet. I see many of the same people bringing the same JUNK back year after year after year!!! Some of the hobby shops that have been there in years past were not there. The hobby shops that were there were selling at the same prices you can get at your own local hobby shop. I don't now about everyone else but I view a swap meet as a place where bargains are to be found.

Here is a sore point with me. We were forced to park in a parking lot just across Monroe Street because all of the others we have used before now have "monthly" paying customers. The "Event Parking" price at this lot was $10.00 on Friday morning. When we left at 5pm the first thing I spot is that the "Event Parking" is now $5.00!!!!

carwood444 04-18-2007 04:38 PM

((Particularly disappointing is the swapmeet. I see many of the same people bringing the same JUNK back year after year after year!!! )) You nailed that one. I am not even sure it is worth the effort to walk up the stairs for that. I usually do go up there just to kill a little time until the show opens.

But on the other hand I have gone to several swap meets over the years and found the same kind of thing, alot of junk, selling for brand new prices.

RCKen 04-18-2007 04:48 PM

I've found that in general swap meets everywhere are on the decline. There was a regular swap meet circuit that we attended every year. They have all fallen to the same thing you mentioned about the swap meet in Toledo. The same people bringing the same junk every year. We have for the most part given up on going to most of the swap meets that we used to attend.

Guess things are the same all over.

Ken

carwood444 04-18-2007 05:38 PM

I talk to quit a few people in various positions, in a lot of different types of business’s and what I have gleaned from these different people is the same story, time after time.

This general area including Ohio, Michigan parts of Indiana, and part of Pennsylvania are in about the worst economic shape of any place in the country.

We in this area really never managed to ride the wave the rest of the country has the last several years.

The whole northwestern Ohio area has been in the crapper since the last downturn in the economy which it never really recovered from. The government officials around here just seem to think they can keep spending money like there is no bottom in the barrel.

With what the costs of doing business is in this area, it really is not a wonder why so much industry has left. And with Toledo being basically a union town, add all that together and there you go.

I had a buddy of mine that is in his late late forty’s call me just recently and he has worked fairly good jobs most of his adult life. Anyway every company he has worked for in the last few years has either down sized or left the area, or just plain closed up. He was glad right now he has a job that is paying 8.25 an hr.

People we need to wake up. These kind of wages are coming are coming to a town near you in the near future. We here in NW Ohio are just at the tip of the ice burg. If good paying jobs don’t quit leaving this country for a lot of various reasons we are all going to be living in mud huts soon.

carwood444 04-18-2007 05:44 PM

I pretty much come to that same conclusion last year. I really did enjoy going to swap meets, but i am not going to pay the same price for a 5 year old engine, that I could buy a brand new one for or almost the same price. It really does seem like most of the stuff I looked at was recycled from one vendor to another.

branded 04-18-2007 05:57 PM

ORIGINAL: carwood444

With what the costs of doing business is in this area, it really is not a wonder why so much industry has left. And with Toledo being basically a union town, add all that together and there you go.

You hit the proverbial nail on the head...The unions are taking down Ford, and probably Chrysler...They've outlived there usefullness and serve no purpose other than to make a viable business not competitive. Too bad....
[>:]

carwood444 04-18-2007 07:11 PM

You are right about that part of it. But in this area at least Toledo all the workers that work for the city belong to a union. It just about makes me sick to listen to these guy's that work for the city of Toledo. The workers throw a holly fit if they have to pick up just a little tiny portion of there insurance cost. The avaerage cost to the city per worker is close to 10 grand a year.

The city wants to make each city worker pay about 25 bucks a month towards their health care insurance and alot of the city workers are having a cow. I mean think about this we have guys that work for the refuse dept. that are making 35 to 40 K a year riding around on garbage trucks. I mean that's fine to make that kind of money, if you can more power to you. But sit here and whine about having to pay 25 bucks a month towards you health care insurance when you make that kind of money is just plain stupid.

What really ticks me off about this particular group of workers they don't have to work a regular day like the rest of us, if their route gets done in 4 or 5 hours they are done for the day, and still get paid for a full days work. But oh well all of us that pay taxes for every possible thing that ever came down the road just have to dig a little deeper.

carwood444 04-18-2007 07:15 PM

At first I thought this was funny...then I realized the awful truth of it.
Be sure to read all the way to the end!

Tax his land,
Tax his bed,
Tax the table
At which he's fed.

Tax his tractor,
Tax his mule,
Teach him taxes
Are the rule.

Tax his cow,
Tax his goat,
Tax his pants,
Tax his coat.

Tax his ties,
Tax his shirt,
Tax his work,
Tax his dirt.

Tax his tobacco,
Tax his drink,
Tax him if he
Tries to think.

Tax his cigars,
Tax his beers,
If he cries, then
Tax his tears.

Tax his car,
Tax his gas,
Find other ways
To tax his ass

Tax all he has
Then let him know
That you won't be done
Till he has no dough.

When he screams and hollers,
Then tax him some more,
Tax him till
He's good and sore.

Then tax his coffin ,
Tax his grave,
Tax the sod in
Which he's laid.

Put these words
upon his tomb,
" Taxes drove me to my doom..."

When he's gone,
Do not relax,
Its time to apply
The inheritance tax.

Accounts Receivable Tax
Building Permit Tax
CDL license Tax
Cigarette Tax
Corporate Income Tax
Dog License Tax
Excise Taxes
Federal Income Tax
Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)
Fishing License Tax
Food License Tax,
Fuel permit tax
Gasoline Tax (42 cents per gallon)
Gross Receipts Tax
Hunting License Tax
Inheritance Tax
Interest expense
Inventory tax
IRS Interest Charges IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax)
Liquor Tax
Luxury Taxes
Marriage License Tax
Medicare Tax
Personal Property Tax
Property Tax
Real Estate Tax
Service charge taxes
Social Security Tax
Road usage taxes
Sales Tax
Recreational Vehicle Tax
School Tax
State Income Tax
State Unemployment Tax (SUTA)

Telephone federal excise tax
Telephone federal universal service fee tax
Telephone federal, state and local surcharge taxes
Telephone minimum usage surcharge tax
Telephone recurring and non-recurring charges tax
Telephone state and local tax
Telephone usage charge tax
Utility Taxes
Vehicle License Registration Tax
Vehicle Sales Tax
Watercraft registration Tax
Well Permit Tax
Workers Compensation Tax

COMMENTS: Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago, and our nation was the most prosperous in the world. We had absolutely no national debt, had the largest middle class in the world, and Mom stayed home to raise the kids.

What the hell happened?

Can you spell "politicians?"

And I still have to "press 1" for English.

I hope this goes around THE USA at least a 1,000,000 times