RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   where do you fly in southern californa? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/631222-where-do-you-fly-southern-californa.html)

Lorduss 03-18-2003 12:24 AM

where do you fly in southern californa?

ive been looking around southern californa now for 2 years for a good close place to fly planes,im in seal beach and
the closest club is trobuco canyon flyers, and at 200 bucks a year just to be a member thats out of the question, my next option is van nuys, over an hour away, and about the same, lake elsinore,
isnt there a closer place around here to fly ? doesnt have to be a full on feild, just any open space around socal anyone knows of that people gather to fly. preferably orange county,

DCFLYYER 03-18-2003 04:02 AM

RC Field

Whittier Narrows Park! Anyone can fly but must be AMA member and follow the rules. You need not be a member.
Club is (San Gabriel Vally Remote Control League) membership 1st
year is $45.00 there after $25.00 Everyone is great ask about freq board. Someone is usually there and will make a freq/ama pin
for you. Runway repaved about a year ago Club Web Page is
www.SGVRCL.org
Should be a fast drive 605N to 60w get off on Rosemead go north
a short way turn left into park go all the way to the back of park.

HAVE FUN
DCFLYYER

tony220 03-18-2003 07:15 PM

Big Field

1 Attachment(s)
Lorduss,
I fly at Van Nuys,very nice field......but it's packed every weekend,best time to fly weekdays.
Sooo I make the drive to El Mirage Dry Lake about 80 miles from me and we spend the day there,lakes about 1 mile wide and I think about 5 to 7 miles long....and Summers are the best 'cause the sun lets us fly till 9PM.... :D :cool:

tony

Ralph Morris 03-19-2003 12:22 AM

Re: where do you fly in southern californa?

Hi Lorduss;

You can fly electric planes at Fairview Park in Costa Mesa, for free.

The El Toro club has lots of room on the runway at the closed Naval Air Station. I think it might cost $160 to join.

If you don't know what's happening with electrics, you could stop by Fairview Park on weekends and see some 3D aerobatics, yes, including hovering, ducted fans that go way fast, and "park flyers" that go real slow, all electric powered.

New battery technology and the new sensorless motors make electric power equal to gas, and you don't have to prop them, or clean off the oil after each flight.

:)

Lorduss 03-19-2003 04:48 AM

where do you fly in southern californa?

thanks tony and ralph,

i went to el mirage a couple weeks ago, my dad and i met some of his work buddys over there, we all ride dirtbikes, and right now im out with a broken colar bone, and i went out there with my tmaxx and was amazed to see people flying rc planes on the dry lakebed,
when we go out there i will defintly bring my planes,
its just a long drive for a everyday thing, thats realy cool you guys can fly till 9, thats alot of flying time.

and ralph, i know about costa mesa for electric, i used to go there a year and a half ago when it was open to rc cars over towards the park entrance, and we noticed you guys flying overhead,
its allways in my mind for electric, ifly my parkflyer even closer though,
tobad fairview doesnt allow gas planes.