RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   Toledo 2008 - RCUniverse on site coverage (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/7334972-toledo-2008-rcuniverse-site-coverage.html)

JWN 04-04-2008 09:55 PM

Toledo 2008 - RCUniverse on site coverage

1 Attachment(s)
Welcome to RCUniverse.com's on site coverage of the 2008 Weak Signals show in Toledo Ohio. This is the 54th anniversary show and the 3rd year for RCUniverse to provide coverage of the show from here in Toledo.

As has become customary, we'll start off with a brief weather report then head inside the Toledo Convention Center and see what is going on. Current conditions are temps in the mid-40'scool with a steady breeze lowering the temperature index in the mid to upper 30's. Our crew met for dinner at the world famous Tony Packo's on Front St. and found several piles of snow about a foot deep. We had some light rain and drizzle through the day, but the forecast predicts a dry Saturday and Sunday. If you plan on visiting the show tomorrow or Sunday, bring a coat.

Moving inside where it's warm, we first went up stairs to take a look at the swap shop since the show had not yet opened to the public. The swap shop was in full swing and it was already elbow to elbow trying to move through the various rooms or down the hall ways. There are dealers and non-dealers alike present and all have lots of things for sale at very attractive show only prices.

theradioflyer 04-04-2008 10:02 PM

RE: Toledo 2008 - RCUniverse on site coverage

If you can... please get a nice shot of me drooling over the scale aircraft displays, sometime around 11:30am-1:30pm tomorrow. After that I'll be browsing the vendors:D My right side is best;)

God Bless, and Safe Trip to All Going!

Jay

JWN 04-04-2008 11:08 PM

You'll be recognizable by drool right? There seems to be a lot of that this year! There are some seriously beautiful static competition models present already and more are sure to arrive tomorrow morning. The stand out in the show right now, in my opinion, is Graeme Mears 1/5 scale F-16 in U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds trim. I am not exaggerating when I say you could examine the model for an hour straight and you still would not find all of the scale details. I'll have pictures posted of it shortly.

JWN 04-04-2008 11:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The show floor has opened so in we head. We're going to start out in the back to try and avoid some of the crowd as they work their way back from the front doors.

Our first stop is Imex Model Co. Inc.. Imex is a hobby dealer with a large stock of all types of RC models and accessories. Not only do they have many great looking models, they also have a ton of accessories to help complete your project.

Do you have an interest in Pattern Flying? Stop by the N.S.R.C.A. booth and find out what it's all about.

Next we make a stop at Precision Cut Kits. As you can see, they have quite the stock of kits and plans on hand looking for you to take one or two home to create looking scale model.

Vintage R/C Plans is here and they want you to know the scale retractable landing gear for their 108" wingspan PBY Catalina are now available.

Top Notch Products are here with their line of interesting and good looking scale model kits.

It is nice to see kit manufacturers alive and well in this day when ARF's are so prevalent in all types of RC aircraft modeling. We will be seeing many more kit manufacturers at the show this year including some we have not seen before today.

Right next door we find A Model with their line of good looking and well built aerobatic airplanes. Take a look at them if you are into Pattern or Scale Aerobatic models.

See what's new at the Lil'Trickler booth. While they are well known for the trickle charger which works with any standard radio charger, they also have quite a range of hobby accessories.

Perhaps you are interested in becoming involved in Scale Aerobatics. Stop by the IMAC Scale Aerobatics booth for the latest information on models, contests and rules.

Moving along we make a stop at Wild Hare R/C. Their Sukhoi in Honda trim looked really good to me!

Here we find Green RC Models USA. Sport and scale models of all types are here. Check out the cool looking Velox 30 and Yak 54 ARF's. If you already have a model you are working on and need some other items to complete it, they most likely have what you're looking for.

Perhaps you are really in need of a less common building tool, accessory, or maybe just a really cool clock. If so, stop by EHobbytools.com Inc.'s booth.

JWN 04-05-2008 12:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Now we happen across DTS International and their custom cut vinyl letters. And, unless you are in need of something really different, they can most likely cut it for you during the show for pick up just a little while later.

Maybe your flying interest is R/C Combat and the exciting matches that are the norm for this type of flying. The R/C Combat Association is here to tell you all about it and help you get started in this exciting flying discipline.

Need a new turbine engine for that jet project you're working on? Stop by and see what the people at JetCentral have to offer and how they can help assure your success with that new model.

Next we find GDH Planes. Glen has two very nice models on display, but only one is released for the show. The monoplane is a Curtis-Cox Cactus Kitten 1. As you can seen, the kit is laser cut and all of the parts are either neatly bagged (and labeled) or bundled to keep everything safe and secure in shipping. The kit comes with a very nice, high quality, hardware package. The majority of the parts are metal instead of their cheaper plastic counterparts. Everything appears to be of very high quality. The biplane is the Texas Wildcat and should be ready for release next month. Glen reports both models can be quite fast with appropriate power setups, but are well within the capabilities of the average modeler with a couple of kits under their belt.

Directly across the isle is Innov8tive Designs with their line of quality brushless motors, ESC's and Li-Po batteries.

Byron Fuel is here again this year. Thanks to some rules changes a few years ago, only a minimal amount of fuel may be kept in booths for display purposes. This does not mean you cannot buy a case or ten while you are there however. All you need to do is place your order in the booth and you can pick it up at the loading dock out the back door. There were a lot of people lugging full case's around the show and I bet there were plenty more who loaded their orders directly into their vehicles.

Have you been thinking your favorite model needs a little something special to really make it complete? Perhaps a cool light or sound system? Ram - Radio Controlled Models Inc. has many different sound and light models to set you up. They also have a collection of items they want to move with the ever so enticing "Make An Offer" sign.

Moving to the opposite side of the isle, we find Advantage Hobby with their Beam E4 line of helicopters they call Professional Grade. Full parts and support are available for those inevitable mishaps. Take a look at the nice machine work on the all aluminum head.

Our next stop is one that also happens to be on the "must visit" list of many show visitors. Micro Fasteners not only carries many of the more difficult to find fasteners used in R/C modeling, they also sell everything you see at the show. Make a stop, and stock up on those items you just cannot seem to find anywhere else.

Are you a scale boat lover? Let's make a stop at The Scale Shipyard. Here you will find a huge selection of all kinds vessels, plans, fittings and accessories. The only thing limiting the end result of a project like this is your imagination, skill and desire to build the most incredible scale model possible.

seemefly_1 04-05-2008 11:23 AM

Hey when dose the Toledo show end I will be in Cleveland on Saturday (4-5) and in Kentucky the whole week. Can you also get me some direction.

Thanks

JWN 04-05-2008 04:44 PM

You can find all information about the show at http://www.toledoshow.com

The show runs April 4th - 6th.

Red Scholefield 04-05-2008 05:15 PM

GREAT PICTURES!
But where is Ms Weak Signals?

Tired Old Man 04-05-2008 05:15 PM

I'd sure like to meet the guy that tossed me the laminated card that said "I am your nemesis". If you're still at the show tomorrow stop by the Wild Hare booth and say hi.

bmadden 04-05-2008 05:35 PM

Did DA put out the 170cc ?

Tired Old Man 04-05-2008 10:06 PM

Didn't see it but I'll look again tomorrow.

theradioflyer 04-05-2008 10:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Great detail on the show JWN but I don't know how your going to get through all of the booths. My Dad commented to me that this has been one of the best Weak Signals shows he has ever been to. The Fact that they tore down the local Sub-way sent us back to the show looking for food. We were pleasantly surprised to find the buffet! Great food as well as a great show, a first for us there. I got some smoking "show" deals and great memories, ( as well as pictures:D) Another great show! I hope I'm not trumping but here's a picture of the Thunderbird;)

JWN 04-05-2008 10:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We're back to the show here, Saturday April 5, in Toledo for the 54th anniversary of the Weak Signals R/C Show. The weather has calmed and we had blue skies with calm winds. Forecast high was 60 with no chance of rain. If the show had not been going on, it would have been a very nice day to be out flying, at the lake or at the track. But, the show is in town so that's where we were!

Our first stop of the day was M.A.C.K. Products. They specialize in R/C boats and their associated equipment and accessories. This is pretty much a one stop shop for all of your boating needs.

Next we find Liteflite.com. Here you will find several interesting small, slow flyer electric models. Of particular interest is their new twin rotor autogyro.

Across the isle we find Airwild Hobbies with their large Sukhoi, Extra's, Edge's and Giles aerobatic aircraft. We also find a complete line of accesories designed specifically for these high performance airframes that demand the very best quality hardware.

Just around the corner we find the Hitec / Multiplex booth. Radio systems and individual system components are available for any type of R/C model. Whether you like robots, cars, airplanes or helicopters, there is a servo, receiver or radio system that will meet your needs. Also check out the ever increasing line of model aircraft produced by Multiplex.

AMT USA is here with products and information. Stop by and have a talk with John. He will make sure you are well educated for your model turbine purchase and setup. He can also tell you about uses for these small turbine engines in full scale and RPV aviation.

Balsa USA is our next place to visit. Be sure to take a look at their new 1/6 scale Sopwith Pup and Nieuport 17 models. They are also now offering Aerotex fabric covering with German Lozenge pattern. We also learned that a new source for contest grade balsa has been secured and the elusive wood is now available. The sample wood on hand was very light in color with straight and even grain. If you have a need for this light weight building material, Balsa USA should be on your short list of suppliers. Check them out!

Wildcat Fuel is here with fuel galore. Wildcat is well known as very good fuel made with only the highest quality ingrediants.

Wendell Hostetler's Plans is here as usual. Wendell designs and draws plans for model aircraft of all sizes. From park to giant, Wendell draws them all.

JWN 04-05-2008 11:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I took a short break from the show and made my way upstairs where I found one of the meeting rooms which overlook the main show floor. If you have never been to Toledo, this is what it is all about. Wall to wall R/C manufacturers, distributors and modelers.

Back down on the show floor we make a stop at Airtronics booth for a look at what's new. When we do, we're welcomed with an announcement that has been long awaited. Airtronics is now in the 2.4GHz game. The RDS 8000 is a fully computerized 8 channel radio with the features most desired in a high quality sport fliers radio. Included with the transmitter is an 8 channel 11 gram full range receiver. Servos are not included with the radio system to keep the cost to the modeler down by not including low cost standard servos that are less and less often used. This savings in cost to the modeler allows them to purchase the perfect servo for their project with the money saved on the radio purchase.

Airtronics is now distributed by Global Hobby Distributors so in addition to finding the latest information about Airtronics, we also had the chance to see what else is new without moving on. While here we learn that Global is the new exclusive distributor for UltraFly models which includes this very cool little flying wing electric ducted fan model. Global also hopes to release the 90" wing span ASM B-26 before summer. Many, many flight tests have been performed and all have been very good. Global is also the exclusive distributor for BH Models. Modelers may be familiar with this line of models under the name of Black Horse Models. BH Models are the very same kits from the same manufacturer, only the name has been simplified. The models look as good as ever and are priced to be very competitive in the hobby market.

Turning around we step over to Sig Manufacturing. The Kadet Senorita, which has been a favorite trainer in full build kit form has been reintroduced as an electric powered ARF. Also new are pre-built and covered wood floats in .40 and 1.20 size. These floats looks very nice and were quite light in weight which has always been a challenge with previous designs.

JWN 04-05-2008 11:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Snaking our way around we make our way next to Tru-Turn. Check out that huge wall of spinners in all shapes, sizes and colors! They also have their full line of adapters on hand and everything is for sale!

The question was asked about Desert Aircraft so let's make a run over to their booth. Is the DA-170 here? Yes! Expect to see it available in May. The engine looked very nice and appears to be of typical Desert Aircraft quality which means it is exceptional. But, perhaps you already have an engine and just need a prop or 20? No worries because they came well stocked!

Rabid Models is here with their diverse line of electric powered foam aircraft. They have a rather extensive line of semi-scale aircraft in with single or multi-motor configurations. These attractive models assemble very quickly due to their simple construction and should be a lot of fun at the field or near by park. Don't forget to pick up a bottle of Hyper Bond glue from CA Plus while you are there!

The Weak Signals club is running a raffle for a lot of great R/C gear to help support their scholarship fund.

Flying Models magazine is on hand with complimentary issues of their fine magazine which covers all aspects of model aero modeling.

Carden Aircraft is here with a few of their long line of large aerobatic models. We'll see more of the 50cc Yak 54 in the Horizon Hobby booth.

JWN 04-06-2008 12:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Let's see a few of the static models present. I'll note the model and builder if I was not able to get a shot of the builders card in with the model. If a model is shown, but I don't specifically mention it, click on the photo and you should find the builders card present with their name. Unfortunately, some models did not have builders cards so we'll have to appreciate them anonymously. If you spot one of these models and know a few details about it, please feel free to post and share your information.

First up is a Sig Piper J-3 Cub by Carl S. Diehl. Check out the cool canoe strapped to the float struts.

Fay Stilley scratch built his 21st Century Swoose.

JWN 04-06-2008 12:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
While almost all of the models present this year are exceptional in one way or another, here we have two that really stand out from the crowd. The first is the very detailed USS Missouri built by Brad Newland. The other is Graeme Mears 1/5 scale F-16 in Thunderbird trim.

bmadden 04-06-2008 07:14 AM

ORIGINAL: JWN

The question was asked about Desert Aircraft so let's make a run over to their booth. Is the DA-170 here? Yes! Expect to see it available in May. The engine looked very nice and appears to be of typical Desert Aircraft quality which means it is exceptional. But, perhaps you already have an engine and just need a prop or 20? No worries because they came well stocked!

Thanks!!
I am surprised that my keyboard still works. I must have dumped 2 quarts of drool on it so far.
Great info!!

Rocketeer10 04-06-2008 06:54 PM

I just posted the 2008 Toledo show static competiton winners on the MAN website if anyone would like to see the lucky winners. Check out the Hot News section on the main page modelairplanenews.com
GY

Ron Olson 04-06-2008 07:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I didn't see you John at the show but ran into Mike and Ken there.
theradioflyer, now maybe you'll know who I am. I drove all the way to Toledo and who do I get in line behind at the ticket booth? Rex Simpson (LHS co-owner)!:D

RCKen 04-06-2008 07:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

I didn't see you John at the show but ran into Mike and Ken there.

Right back at ya Ron!!!!

Was great to see you again Ron!!!

Ken

theradioflyer 04-06-2008 08:55 PM

What a small world Ron! I did see RCKen but I don't think I've ever met you. I was @ www.Hobby-sports.com getting some things to compliment the great deals I got at Toledo! Hopefully we will cross paths and shake hands some day;) I had a wonderful time, it seems that the show gets better and better, or maybe I just appreciate the experience the older I get.

God Bless Y'all, I'm glad everyone had a safe trip!

Jay

JWN 04-07-2008 12:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sunday was unfortunately a travel day so I wasn't able to make any posts about the show. However, let's pick up where we left on Saturday and see what else was on display.

Continuing our way around the show we find Atlanta Hobby and the extensive line of electric powered models, power systems and accessories they offer. The Pitts Python looked very nice as did the Obsession and the other aircraft.

Precision Hobby Products was tucked back in the rear corner of the show with their line of large scale aerobatic models. There were a lot of people checking out these models. From what could be seen, these models appear to be very well built.

Scale Pursuit Models was back again this year. These models are not constructed in the traditional manner but instead use solid foam that is laminated with a plastic skin. This keeps the model light and strong while allowing for considerable flex in the event of a hard landing without worry of causing damage to the airframe. A video was running all weekend demonstrating how effective these materials are when model was planted, and bounced, rather hard on landing without any apparent damage to the airframe. A side benefit is that the model can be built and be made ready for finishing in a much shorter time than would be required with a traditional built up structure.

MS Composit was here with their foam models as well as AXi motors and other items needed to complete your project. Of particular interest is their new Citabria which can taken from kit bag to ready to fly in just a couple hours of easy and relaxed assembly.

Shulman Aviation was also back, and as in years past, their product line continues to grow with small to medium size airplane models of all types.

Thunder Tiger always manages to pack their booth with a very large assortment of high quality R/C models that are equally good looking. On display were airplanes, boats and helicopters along with engines for both airplanes and helicopters.

JWN 04-07-2008 12:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
RC Showcase was back this year with quite a few new RCS engines and some neat engine management models. One item of particular interest is their glow plug ignitor module. It operates a bit differently than other such modules in that it does not automatically come on at a preset throttle level, but instead only comes on when needed. It also has a feature in which the plug is not energized when the radio is turned off. Anyone who has accidentally burned up a plug or drained the battery by leaving their current system On after a flight will really appreciate that feature.

Conely had a great looking, and large, Chris Craft on display at their booth with one of their super charged V-8 engines installed. For anyone who is not familiar with Conely, these V-8's are fully functional, just like a full size engine. They have spark ignition, have pushrod operated valve trains and the super charger mounted on top is fully functional. I have a feeling being able to see that boat run would have been quite impressive.

MPI Maxx Products was back once again with their line of Himax brushless motors. They continue to expand their in-line twin motor systems. With two motors mounted back to back, they drive counter rotating props with the end result being the torque of each motor cancels out the other. This means your model does not yaw on take-off or in vertical maneuvers. It also looks REALLY cool!

WMW Group was on hand with their line of airplanes, large scale cars, boats and gasoline engines.

B&B Specialties had their full line of products on hand. They are very well known for their Bennet's Best Smoke System which has been the standard of large scale models.

Cajun R/C Models has a large line of pre-painted full body and bust pilots. All were available for sale with very attractive show pricing.

Brodack Mfg. has been around for a long time with their line of very well done control line model kits. As in years past, all kits were for sale at the show along with an extensive line of accessories and building tools and supplies.

JWN 04-07-2008 12:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Glenn Torrance Models had their 1/3 scale Fokker DR-1 on display along with their Lozenge pattern fabric coverings and a really nice looking dummy rotary engine. The model in their booth was later moved to the static competition.

Quadra-Aerrow International was once again present with their line of gasoline engines. Available in sizes from 30 - 200cc, there is an engine for just about any large scale airplane.

Air Age Media was present showcasing their R/C hobby magazines.

Dietrich Performance had their very nice looking large scale aerobatic ARF's on hand. These models come with only top quality hardware such as ball bearing control horns and servo arms. They also premount the canopy, landing gear and cuffs, wheel pants and even pre-glue the hinges. This truly is an ARF by any one's definition.

DualSky USA was on hand with their full line of electric powered aircraft power systems and accessories.

Model Aviation Products had their line of jet aircraft, retractable landing gear and system accessories. They are very knowledgeable and can help make sure your model is setup correctly the first time out.

Propwash Video Productions knows how to draw a crowd. They kept the crowd entertained with a preview tape of their first crash video. All of their videos were for sale at special show pricing.

Z-Planes was once again present with their ever expanding line of model aircraft, adhesives and building materials. Their small jet model kits are attractive and easy to build. They also had quite a selection of very nice static models that would look terrific on a book shelf or desk at the office.

Boca Bearings was kept busy all weekend selling their high quality bearings as well as giving valuable advice on how to get the best performance and longest life out of your engine and bearings.

RCGuys was on hand again this year with their nice looking Citabria on display. They produce several great looking large scale ARF's that are priced very reasonably and are reported to fly nicely too. Keep a watch out for their new Cessna and Pitts models slated for release in June.

Pacific Aeromodel Mfg. Inc. manufactures a nice line of very well built, and great looking, ARF airplane models. They also offer several accessories such as geared starters with piggy back battery packs for starting large engines.