RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   Don Muddiman Flying Machine (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/8015992-don-muddiman-flying-machine.html)

Cprl_lilhorn 08-03-2011 04:33 PM

RE: Don Muddiman Flying Machine

Where should we post the contest submissions? Here?

Mario

Nitro-Tom 08-03-2011 07:41 PM

that's the way I read it.....

Let's see what you got:D

Condor060 08-04-2011 07:45 PM

All contest submissions should be directed to the Condor Hobbies Flying Machine Contest Forum

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10656030/tm.htm

Nitro-Tom 08-05-2011 05:07 AM

ORIGINAL: Condor060

All contest submissions should be directed to the Condor Hobbies Flying Machine Contest Forum

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10656030/tm.htm

ok I will have to repost

thanks for the clarification!

captinjohn 08-05-2011 06:27 PM

I had a Hots several years ago. It was a real nice flying airplane. Is your new kit a spin-off of a hots? Thanks Capt,n

Condor060 08-05-2011 07:17 PM

<p class="MsoBodyText" style="margin: auto 0in"><font size="3"><span style="font-family: Arial">I have heard many times the Flying Machine looks like the &ldquo;Hots&rdquo; a model <st1:place w:st="on">Midwest</st1:place> models produced in the 80&rsquo;s. Well in fact the Flying Machine was designed in 1983 prior to the &ldquo;Hots&rdquo; coming into existence. </span><o:p></o:p></font></p><p class="MsoBodyText" style="margin: auto 0in"><span style="font-family: Arial"><font size="3">Dan B. Santich designed the &ldquo;Hots&rdquo; sometime in 1984 or thereafter and had the good fortune of getting <st1:place w:st="on">Midwest</st1:place> models to produce the kit. The only thing that both aircraft have in common is a similar profile outline. Other than that the &ldquo;Hots&rdquo; can not compete with the flight envelope and high speed aerobatic of the Flying Machine. </font></span><o:p></o:p></p>

Dave McDonald 08-05-2011 10:05 PM

The Hots has a lot more in common with a Dazzler/Uproar than a Flying Machine. The Hots and the Dazzler/Uproar are typical of sport aerobatic planes with enlarged control surfaces, and have very similar flying characteristics. But none of these planes are in the same performance class as the Flying Machine. The Flying Machine does everything better.......period.

Comparing a Hots to a Flying Machine is like comparing a Piper Cherokee to an Extra 300.......or a Sopwith Camel to a P-51 Mustang.......or a bottle rocket to the Space Shuttle. OK.....the last one might have been a stretch, but you get the idea.

I have never heard of anyone that has flown both a Hots and a Flying Machine prefer the Hots over the Flying Machine. So if you like a Hots/Dazzler/Uproar, then you will LOVE a Flying Machine.

Unfortunately, I can't think of any current RC design that can compete with a Flying Machine.......which is exactly why I'm excited to see the FM ARFs become a reality.

flyingmachine 08-08-2011 07:11 AM

The FLYINGMACHINE is the best darn plane EVER! I am so excited about the release of the ARF FM. I would LOVE to have one in a GLASS fuse.
If this is the only plane that existed, I would be HAPPY

Nitro-Tom 08-08-2011 08:35 AM

ORIGINAL: flyingmachine

The FLYINGMACHINE is the best darn plane EVER! I am so excited about the release of the ARF FM. I would LOVE to have one in a GLASS fuse.
If this is the only plane that existed, I would be HAPPY

Welcome back Rich! It's good to have you back, I have not seen you in this thread for awhile [:@]

Rich and I flew our flying machines last Thursday (He flew his much better than I flew mine)[:'(] (Don't go there!)

but anyway......we were talking, and I would like to formally extend my offer of assistance (In the form of MONEY) to Condor.....for development of the Composite FM!

Condor060....what do Rich and I have to do to get our hands on a prototype "Composite" FM? $$$$:D

Rich and I would LOVE to "Beta Test" the Composite version and help you get it setup right.......I would throw a brand new Rossi .45 Speed into it with a Jet Tuned Pipe.....I would think if Rich and I both paid for our prototypes that would take the edge off development cost....etc....

we are VERY SERIOUS and I would love to give you my cell number via PM or should I call you?

Let's talk, as a composite Flying Machine would be awesome......and I do not think the FM composite would distract from the excitement of the conventional ARF....

I really think there is a place for this type of thing.....Quality Composite work, not Nitro Planes junk......and now the only lines available to the modeler are extremely low ended and then the best like a BVM product in terms of quality....hard to find any middle ground for one.....and second all the good ones are EDF......Zero speed prop composites out there (That I know of):D (Excluding Pylon Models of course)

Certainly none thay fly like the Flying Machine!

As you can tell from his handle....Rich and I would be great beta testers.......heck I could drive up to Don's so he could test fly my composite, as he is only a few hours north of me.......

Let me know what you think?

flyingmachine 08-08-2011 12:31 PM

Tom is right, I am an FM NUT!!!! I have had this handle since 05' !!!! I am ready to drop coin on a new rossi speed also! Serious pilot here and avid FM fan! CONDOR you have my info! Get me on board I will test it 2 days a week, I have the time and alot of time off from work, thanks to 12hr shifts.......I am IN ALL THE WAY..A REBIRTH HAS BEGUN!!!!

Nitro-Tom 08-08-2011 04:00 PM

Tom is right, I am an FM NUT!!!! I have had this handle since 05' !!!! I am ready to drop coin on a new rossi speed also! Serious pilot here and avid FM fan! CONDOR you have my info! Get me on board I will test it 2 days a week, I have the time and alot of time off from work, thanks to 12hr shifts.......I am IN ALL THE WAY..A REBIRTH HAS BEGUN!!!!

I like it.....in addition to the best ARF of 2011 we are going to start a composite movement [X(]

Condor060 08-08-2011 09:40 PM

Hey Fellas, I will take you guys up on some testing. I am leaving for IRCHA in the morning so you won't hear from me until next week. I will have some pictures of a couple of prototypes when I get home and will share them with you. Thank you guys for all of your support. We are working on a composite fuse and I will keep everyone up to date. We will need to run it through its paces and I have no problem sending a few out to see what we have. My plan is toproduce and very high quality FM and Don will be the final say on any design changes orideas we all come up with. If it passes the Don test I think we are safe.
I can be reached at 704-221-6550. My mail box is always full so its best if you guys text me first. I will return the text and call when I am available. Condor will always take your calls but we are still building the website. If you would like to get an idea of what the front page looks like you can go to http://condorhobbies.dev.bayshoresol...mps/home1.htmlto take a sneak peak. These things NEVER run on time and we are working very hard to get live so just bare with us while we get things rolling.
Talk to you later.
Fred

Nitro-Tom 08-09-2011 04:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Hey Fellas, I will take you guys up on some testing. I am leaving for IRCHA in the morning so you won't hear from me until next week. I will have some pictures of a couple of prototypes when I get home and will share them with you. Thank you guys for all of your support. We are working on a composite fuse and I will keep everyone up to date. We will need to run it through its paces and I have no problem sending a few out to see what we have. My plan is to produce and very high quality FM and Don will be the final say on any design changes or ideas we all come up with. If it passes the Don test I think we are safe.
I can be reached at 704-221-6550. My mail box is always full so its best if you guys text me first. I will return the text and call when I am available. Condor will always take your calls but we are still building the website. If you would like to get an idea of what the front page looks like you can go to http://condorhobbies.dev.bayshoresol...mps/home1.html to take a sneak peak. These things NEVER run on time and we are working very hard to get live so just bare with us while we get things rolling.
Talk to you later.
Fred

Fred, How true it is.....Computers are the root of all evil! [:@][:'(]

Great news! Can't wait to see what we got so far.....Rich and I are happy as clowns and ready to help!

I will keeep your number handy and text you next week....since I do not want to burden you since your going to a show, etc..... I am sure things will take awhile with the composite, etc...so no rush.

flyingmachine 08-09-2011 06:22 AM

sounds like we have a good thing going here......:D I will have everyone at the field with nimble fingers wanting one of these..A dream come true would be to arrive at the field and just see nothing but FM'S buzzing around...and to know I help start it all (ALONG with TOM of course).....damn this is good!

RC MANIAC119 08-10-2011 12:40 PM

WOW..........what a couple of Self Promoters you two are.....Wish I had thought of it~!!!!

It never occurred to me to use the same tactic on Condor, as I do on my wife...BEGGING!!!! LOL Lets give it a try...........

Dear Condor;

I have 40 plus years of Intense RC experience. I have extensive experience in everything from foamies to 30%'ers. I have been flying a Diamond Dust for 20 plus years, because I get off on the speed, not to mention, Jeff Gilbert is one of
my best Flying Buds!!!
I have been President of my local Flying Club for the last ten years, and training Officer in my club for the last 20 years....at least!@!@!

You will need Cold Weather Beta testers for the ARF's.....I live in Michigan, and I am shamefully asking (begging) for the job. You just never know how colder climates, including snow and ice may affect the airframe, and I fly all year long!!!!

Just let me know where to sign, and RC Maniac will be on the job!!!!

Thanking you in advance

RC Maniac

Hey Guys....How was that???:D:D:D

Nitro-Tom 08-11-2011 04:57 AM

ORIGINAL: RC MANIAC119

WOW..........what a couple of Self Promoters you two are.....Wish I had thought of it~!!!!

It never occurred to me to use the same tactic on Condor, as I do on my wife...BEGGING!!!! LOL Lets give it a try...........

Dear Condor;

I have 40 plus years of Intense RC experience. I have extensive experience in everything from foamies to 30%'ers. I have been flying a Diamond Dust for 20 plus years, because I get off on the speed, not to mention, Jeff Gilbert is one of
my best Flying Buds!!!
I have been President of my local Flying Club for the last ten years, and training Officer in my club for the last 20 years....at least!@!@!

You will need Cold Weather Beta testers for the ARF's.....I live in Michigan, and I am shamefully asking (begging) for the job. You just never know how colder climates, including snow and ice may affect the airframe, and I fly all year long!!!!

Just let me know where to sign, and RC Maniac will be on the job!!!!

Thanking you in advance

RC Maniac

Hey Guys....How was that???:D:D:D

You're just jealous 'cause we got there first :D

Not bad, by the way......resume looks good......

Next I will strap on my knee pads [X(] 'cause I will go far for the composite FM............

flyingmachine 08-11-2011 12:03 PM

Tom, i am already wearing a BIB!

RC MANIAC119 08-11-2011 12:52 PM

YEAH BABY!!!!

Nitro-Tom 08-11-2011 03:21 PM

BTW: Nice Bud Bottle Tuned Pipe you made there in your gallery :D

RC MANIAC119 08-11-2011 04:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Nitro-Tom

BTW: Nice Bud Bottle Tuned Pipe you made there in your gallery :D
Thanks! They work great on my 55's, and I just recently got my hands on some 8oz Coke bottle to try!!:D:D:D

flyingmachine 08-12-2011 10:17 AM

OK, Rossi .45 speed purchased today, now, I am hunting down a header and tuned pipe. I will break this motor in on an OLD scratch built FM that has MORE than proven herself!

Nitro-Tom 08-12-2011 01:25 PM

OK, Rossi .45 speed purchased today, now, I am hunting down a header and tuned pipe. I will break this motor in on an OLD scratch built FM that has MORE than proven herself!
Pink one is still my favorite

Muddiman 08-12-2011 01:45 PM

Why do I use the colors Black and yellow for my demo Flying Machine ?

Think you know the answer......... [:-]

Later,

Don Muddiman

RC MANIAC119 08-12-2011 02:47 PM

I have always wondered about that. Black is a very hard color for me to see, and I have great working eyes!

The yellow is a great trim color for up close viewing...but in the air, 100+ mph, diving straight down
and twisting the FM into a knot??? FORGETABOUT IT!!!

:D:D

airbusdrvr 08-12-2011 03:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Muddiman

Why do I use the colors Black and yellow for my demo Flying Machine ?

Think you know the answer......... [:-]

Later,

Don Muddiman

I'm either dense or need a hint[:o]

Muddiman 08-12-2011 03:53 PM

Protanopia (Color Blindness)

Because of this color blindness I have found the Black/Yellow combination to provide the best tracking for my flying. Especially at high altitude when you lose the absence of color and can see only contrasting differences. This has been my secret for many years allowing me to fly out of sight for most of the viewing spectators but still retain control of the aircraft. If you have ever seen my demo you know what I'm talking about when I climb to my death dive. I once had a Loctite logo version of Flying Machine that was Blue/White but I soon sold the aircraft just because of the colors. To me white and blue are the worst colors for a small and fast R/C aircraft. Why would you ever want to camouflage your R/C aircraft aginst the sky. I have seen many pilots over the years lose aircraft because of their color selection causing disorientation. Just lessons learned from many years of flying. The old eyes are not what they use to be but I can still GIT-R-DONE.

Jon Collins 08-12-2011 04:22 PM

Hey Don,

Any word on when you will have the 1st prototype at the field for testing? I'd be interested in being at the field when it's ready.

Also - Speaking of secrets… I’ve always wondered what your secret is for being able to consistently land the plane at your feet after your “energy management landing”. In over 20 years of watching your demos, I don’t think I’ve ever seen you have to take more than 2 steps to pick up the plane. Even in high winds, cross winds, etc. you always bring it right back to your feet… What’s the secret???

flyingmachine 08-14-2011 04:28 AM

Something I learned a long time ago, it helps to remember your last control input to recover from a sticky situation (thanks Oscar) I know this is hard to do with a fast machine like the FM, but every little bit helps. I love the NEON colors and my pink FM is so EASY to see and FLY (thanks to the expertise of Joel/high quality scratch builder). anyways back to the bench!

Nitro-Tom 08-14-2011 02:15 PM

Something I learned a long time ago, it helps to remember your last control input to recover from a sticky situation (thanks Oscar) I know this is hard to do with a fast machine like the FM, but every little bit helps. I love the NEON colors and my pink FM is so EASY to see and FLY (thanks to the expertise of Joel/high quality scratch builder). anyways back to the bench!
Dude, I got your text, those servo's sounded cheap.

4 X futabe digitals for less than $60

What specs?

I am holding out on purchase of a motor and servos for this....if the FM composite does come down, I want to be 100% open to supply whatever it needs....

flyingmachine 08-14-2011 06:26 PM

standard s3151 futaba there fine for th duty of an FM, heck my pinky is using JR standard, Just think of what Don used back in the day!!!

Condor060 08-15-2011 06:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, I just got home form IRCHA and have new pictures of two completed prototypes for Don and I to test. My partner flew to China on Sunday and is checking them out. If they look good he will bring them home and ship to Don and I for a little testing.

Muddiman 08-15-2011 07:48 AM

Fred, Looks good but I already see some major issues to be addressed.

Later,
Don

bkg1956 08-15-2011 08:06 AM

Looks good, but appears to have much less strengthening than the original. Needs four wing bolts with aluminum sheeting support, not just two. Also wing looks a tad weak with no glass cloth on the wing saddle and no TE sheeting. My Scream Machine (similar to Flying Machine in most all design respects) has a built up wing but it is also sheeted front and back for strength. Hate to buy one and then have to add $$ to strengthen it!

bkg1956 08-15-2011 08:20 AM

Hate to keep raining on the parade, but I just noticed the lightening holes in the fuse sides and bottom. That doesn't seem right to me knowing what I'm going to expect out of this plane. Again seems weak at what is perhaps THE most critical part of the airframe. So much stress there. I think it will break with the kind of flying some of us will do with this plane. Also, will there be any type of wing saddle on the inside of the fuse?

I know Don and the design team will come to a good conclusion, but I think the wait just got a bit longer. I'm still excited, but now I'm wondering...

Condor060 08-15-2011 11:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
<div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><span style="font-size: 9pt">These are two different builds not in the original CAD design. One with ply and one balsa.These are just prototypes with a fewideas of a lighter, faster, stronger, aircraft. The guy building the prototypes is a world class glider designer with 300 mph plus gliders doing really crazy stuff. He builds a large portion of the highG load gliders in the market and wanted us to take a look at some new ideas they are using in their newest gliders. The aluminum blocks for the wings will always be a part of the kit.

Once we look at what wehave we will make our final changes and start the production.
</span></div>

bkg1956 08-15-2011 12:06 PM

Awesome!

Don't misunderstand me. I'm all about innovation. However, I know you guys will figure it all out!! I just know what some of us will do with these ARF's and will expect them to be at least as strong as our scratch-built aircraft. I've NEVER seen any ARF that can withstand the flight envelope we see in the Flying Machine/Scream Machine scratch-built designs.

You guys have a huge task to make that happen in an ARF and stay within the price point you've mentioned. Thanks for the effort!

By the way, I'd love to get in on some of that testing action!! Just sayin'! ;)

Condor060 08-15-2011 12:58 PM

I agree, most ARFs are all about the price and not much about construction. The Flying Machine can't be cheated. If it doesn't pass the Don test, it won't be worth marketing. This is most likely the only ARF I know of that has no room for skimping.

flyingmachine 08-15-2011 01:47 PM

<div style=''margin: 0in 0in 0pt''><span style=''font-size: 9pt''>These are two different builds not in the original CAD design. One with ply and one balsa. These are just prototypes with a few ideas of a lighter, faster, stronger, aircraft. The guy building the prototypes is a world class glider designer with 300 mph plus gliders doing really crazy stuff. He builds a large portion of the high G load gliders in the market and wanted us to take a look at some new ideas they are using in their newest gliders. The aluminum blocks for the wings will always be a part of the kit.

Once we look at what we have we will make our final changes and start the production.
</span></div>

I like the looks of the bottom FUSE...Until some testing is done (high speed dives and g outs) we won't know. Hey if she passes the test you know I am in. I think the composite FUSE is the way to go..kinda FAI'ish. Anyways we are all bitting our nails here !!!!
THIS IS TRULY EXCITING STUFF!

flyingmachine 08-15-2011 01:51 PM

PS. Rossi speed blue head just arrived today.WOW she is a prrreetttyyyy! True turn spinner on the way, now I need a 2590 MACS bolt through header........any one have one for SALE??????????

Nitro-Tom 08-15-2011 06:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)

<div style=''margin: 0in 0in 0pt''><span style=''font-size: 9pt''>These are two different builds not in the original CAD design. One with ply and one balsa. These are just prototypes with a few ideas of a lighter, faster, stronger, aircraft. The guy building the prototypes is a world class glider designer with 300 mph plus gliders doing really crazy stuff. He builds a large portion of the high G load gliders in the market and wanted us to take a look at some new ideas they are using in their newest gliders. The aluminum blocks for the wings will always be a part of the kit.

Once we look at what we have we will make our final changes and start the production.
</span></div>
I am sure you guys will rock this build! Look at how far you have come in such a short time, compaired to the last guys :D

One Idea I had for the build is a stronger block for landing gear and then the owner has the option to upgrade to 1/4 X 20 blind nuts (If not already)

I use Nylon 1/4 X 20's on the gear for a break away in case a bad landing, etc [:'(] as shown :D