Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Question on Fiberglassing

Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Question on Fiberglassing

Old 10-12-2010, 09:02 PM
Quigleywins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question on Fiberglassing

I may have a problem with my latest build ,I may not have put enough hardner in the glass resin in and its not going off. What can I do or will it go off in time. Yours Paul T
Old 10-12-2010, 09:43 PM
AH1G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Question on Fiberglassing

Epoxy or polyester/styrene? If its Epoxy leave it for a few days and see if it starts to harden up. If its Polyester and its very thin layup, you can try to mist it with MEKP and pray. Otherwise just peel it off and start over.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:31 PM
Quigleywins

Thanks for the quick reply, as you can see I'm in a bit of a FIX . The lable reads GP resin LSE The hardner has Mehyl Ethyl Ketone Peroxide Catalyst. Yours Paul T
Old 10-13-2010, 05:53 AM
Quigleywins

Well its now solid but still very tacky. It took 9 hours to get to this stage ,maybe in the morning it will be solid enough to return to building. Yours Paul T thanks again AH1G
Old 10-13-2010, 09:25 AM
AH1G

It may take more than a day. Get the part(s) in a warmer location and just let them try and cure.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:30 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

in the sunlight if its warm out.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:26 AM
MTK

ORIGINAL: daven

in the sunlight if its warm out.
I also agree with sunlight. Polystyrene will cure when exposed to UV. Sunlight is the best, simplest, and very cheap source for UV. Warmth helps but isn't absolutely necessary. Leave it out all day if necessary
Old 10-13-2010, 10:34 AM
AH1G

I also agree to sunlight. I forgot it's not winter in half of the world yet. Should be spring in Australia, here it was 26 this morning...
Old 10-13-2010, 05:33 PM
Quigleywins

No sunlight at the moment but the instructions said 15 deg C and it was wet and 16 deg C yesterday. Its still quiet damp ,one thing I could do is mix up a rich mixture and go over the areas again and work it in to the wet areas. What do you think of that method. Yours Paul T
Old 10-13-2010, 09:50 PM
AH1G

Not much to be honest... Do you have a box larger than the parts? If so, cover the parts with the box putting one or even two 100 watt light bulbs in it to create an oven. Make sure the light bulbs do not get closer than three or four inches to the part. Leave it for a day or two or more days.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:58 AM
Quigleywins

AH1G I'm in your hands I will just wait with heat,have the fire going tonight so I will stink the house out when my Jenny in bed and face the music in the morning. I will report later Yours Paul T
Old 10-14-2010, 09:18 AM
AH1G

Sorry to be so short in my answer to you last night. I had to work a long day, trying to finish an annual on a Piper Aztec so we could get it out the door. If you add more resin, you have a good chance of creating a hard covering over uncured resins. I believe that you will be better off letting it cure as is.
Be pacient this could be a long process as the existing resin does all it can do.
Good luck with it and let me know how it goes.

Brian
Custom Fiberglass Products
Old 10-15-2010, 03:47 AM
Quigleywins

Brian I took your reply as short and to the point. I'm very thankfull that you came back with the information as quick( and short) so I could make the right decission on what to do. Problem solved , I put the item in front of the heater last night and went to bed. Now this morning its perfectly dry.Problem solved all is well,working on somthing else to stuff up. Many thanks for the advice ,I know if I have any other situations where I can get perfect advice. Yours Paul T
Old 10-15-2010, 09:35 AM
AH1G

I am very happy that it worked out well for you. You are welcome to PM me anytime with questions.

Brian Welander
Old 10-16-2010, 07:57 AM
CloudyIFR

When I make parts using composite materials and epoxy, I allow the epoxy to cure for three hours then I place it in a hot box of sorts. I take the easy route and wrap an electric heat blanket around the part. This gives me about 120 degree Fahrenheit. I leave it there for about eight hours and I have a nicely cured setup part. I use Aeromarine 300/21 epoxy and they recommend curing at 30 degrees F above the intended temperature use.

I show this an much, much more in my instructional DVD's.

All the best.
Curtis Suter
www.TailwindGliders.com