Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

foam coating

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 03:54 PM
Roger Gray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default foam coating

OK guys help an old man out what is the brush/spray coating that is sold to be a final surface prep on foam. Using this product gives a smooth, durable, and I think paintable surface. I've built some wing tip floats for a PBY and don't want to glass them.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:15 PM
jdeluyck
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: foam coating

Try Liquid Sheet II from wowplanes.com

Old 05-25-2013, 05:50 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Roger, you really just can't beat glassing. Done correctly it would be less work then you think.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:28 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: speedracerntrixie

Roger, you really just can't beat glassing. Done correctly it would be less work then you think.

That is what Roger and I are afraid of!
Old 05-25-2013, 08:43 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Jim, I know that most guys are hesitant to break out the epoxy resin and glass cloth but once some simple skills are learned it will open up a whole new level to your modeling. For the job at hand all that one would need to do is finish sand the floats and cover them with some 2 or 3 oz fiberglass cloth. What I tell people is to think about it the same as you would if you were using Monokote. Take a sheet of cloth and lay it on the top of the float, saturate with as little amount of epoxy resin as possible. Trim any excess away with a pair of scissors and the wrap around the sides. To do that you will want to radius the corners a quarter inch or so. Next day put on a side then the other side and eventually the bottom. It takes a little time but the end result is well worth it. Once you get comfortable doing things like this you will be looking for areas in your builds to incorporate glasswork. A glassed surface is easier to paint and had great ding resistance.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:48 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A couple tips that made dealing with glass easy for me were; lay down a large piece of cardboard to cut the glass on. You will be amazed at how well an xacto knife will cut glass with the cardboard backing. The next one is baby powder. I always hated getting sticky goopy hands and then the stringy mess as I worked. A douse of baby powder and rubbing my (gloved) hands together cleans them right up and I can keep working.

The last and maybe most important part, get some good epoxy that you are satisfied will work the way you want. Personally I have had excellent results with zero problems using West Systems. Nothing sucks more than to get a part all to shape and have the epoxy not kick and make a glommy mess.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:38 PM
Roger Gray

Thanks fellas-I've been fiberglassing my planes for several years and the hints you gave are great thanks for sharing. I've ordered some of the Liquid sheeting II-I'm finishing up on a 6' PBM scratch build with electrics from Dymond USA and wanted to try this product to cover the nechelles and gloats. Good flyin'
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56919.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	1885803  
Old 11-05-2013, 09:18 AM
chopper man

I am looking at finishing an epo foam plane with liquid sheeting. Any thoughts from those that have used it. Pictures would be great if easily available. Thanks

Gene