Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Fiberglass/Carbon fiber tissue?

Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Fiberglass/Carbon fiber tissue?

Old 08-27-2014, 07:39 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Fiberglass/Carbon fiber tissue?

Has anyone used this product from ACP? It looks like a great option. http://www.acpsales.com/Fiberglass-T...m_medium=email
Old 08-27-2014, 12:53 PM
Pylonracr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess since nobody else chimed in I will. I have not used that tissue, but Mike (MJD) uses a lot of carbon fiber veil that is very similar to that only carbon instead of fiberglass. He has very good results with it both above and below the balsa wing sheeting, and for a final finishing layer. It is quite strong for the weight.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:21 PM
vertical grimmace

My main interest is scale modeling, so typically we fiberglass balsa sheeted surfaces. Creating a good surface for painting. I was just wondering as glass can require filling the weave. I posted this in another thread and was told both of these items soak up a lot of resin, which would add weight. May not be the best solution for our needs as modelers. I may test it myself anyway, as it looks like cool stuff. May be easier to cut and not have to deal with the frayed edges.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:19 PM
saramos

I did some tests and one application using carbon tissue on a hand layup. It really soaks up the resin. Ultimately, I only used it on an engine mount box for some reinforcement.

Scott
Old 08-29-2014, 02:58 PM
vertical grimmace

The concensus seems to be that it ends up too heavy for our applications generally. It must be the tissue itself taking up all of the resin.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:28 PM
saramos

I think the results would be much lighter in a vacuum bagging application where the tissue can be compressed and the excess resin can be absorbed by the breather material. It could be used in this way on sheeted foam cores, or as a surface layer in a molded composite to give a good stable finish surface.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:25 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The problem with the tissue is that all the fibers are short and randomly interwoven (which isnt the proper term because it isnt even woven). Soo everywhere a fiber overlaps another fiber, a small gap is left, that gap is filled with resin. Of you were to vacuum bag it, it should compress a bit and be better than a hand layup, but for a hand layup, its not really worth it, a light weight woven carbon cloth would be better, but they are also Way more expensive (even if you import it like i do!)
Old 06-19-2020, 08:35 PM
glideher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

carbon fiber tissue is fantastic, coupled with 24hr epoxy resin, you have your self one stiff structure for any RC project, or any project for that matter