Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Epoxy Allergy ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 08:49 AM
BullardRM
My Feedback: (39)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Epoxy Allergy ??

Has anyone experienced an allergy to epoxy?
Old 12-28-2014, 05:49 AM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes. Skin.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:02 AM
BullardRM

Originally Posted by R8893
Yes. Skin.
Can you be more specific. How bad and any way to control the reaction?
Old 12-28-2014, 02:00 PM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes as well. Mine manifests itself as fairly severe sinus congestion. I think the only things you can do is wear gloves so there is no absorption through the skin and only use in a well-ventilated area.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:05 PM
BullardRM

Originally Posted by RBACONS
Yes as well. Mine manifests itself as fairly severe sinus congestion. I think the only things you can do is wear gloves so there is no absorption through the skin and only use in a well-ventilated area.
Are you also allergic to CA glue?
Old 12-29-2014, 09:14 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup I have developed a fairly serious allergic reaction to epoxy. This has worsened over the years.

I have a specific problem with epoxy dust and quickly develop *****ling around my mouth severe congestion and intense nausea.I can wet sand small areas but prefer to do this in the open air and stand upwind. I had to sell a house I had dry sanded a couple of wings in.

I can use epoxy in small quantities if there is good ventilation, in a room I will use an air extraction system based on a toilet extractor fan.

I wear latex gloves and avoid contact with uncured resin.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:21 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Most folks who are having problems with both epoxy, and CA glue will tell you that it took some time, (in some cases years) for their allergies to develop. Some people have breathing problems, but most experience moderate to severe skin irritation. Dry skin, cracking and bleeding, blisters and rashes. Some epoxies are worse then others. Most epoxy manufacturers, and suppliers recommend using gloves, or barrier creams, because the damage you do today, might not show up for years. Kind of like smoking! This subject could cover volumes, so if you need more information do a internet search, or consult a dermatologist.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:49 PM
Scorpion Racing

latex gloves do very little to protect you from epoxy amines (which are really in the hardener, not the resin). You should wear nitrile gloves, which protect your skin much better against the amines. The addition of barrier cream, LOTS of cross ventilation (outdoors), and make sure all skin is covered. I wear 2 pairs when doing an epoxy lamination for parts or molds, as I seem to always get the gloves wet and have to peel one set of before I am done. Sanding freshly cured resin can also expose uncured resin, and give you the same reaction again. Also, once you have epoxy sensitization, it is not reversible. It is a built up toxin that doesn't go away. It will get worse with every exposure until you have the bleeding ulcers and horrendous rashes. I have a buddy who can no longer lay up composites due to his sensitization, thus my precautions whenever possible.

Don't take chances with your health, and I would suggest seeing a dermatologist if you think you are experiencing some sensitization to epoxy.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:57 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Scott. I'm curious to how you found out that Latex gloves are not adequate protection? I work in a composites shop that does wet and preprg layups and we are very well regulated. We only use Latex gloves.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:18 PM
Scorpion Racing

I use a variety of resins (MGS, Aeropoxy, USC, etc.) which are fairly aggressive. Your best information comes from self investigation! Check the MSDS (SDS) sheets for the hardeners you use and see how nitrile, latex (or vinyl) gloves do to block those specific chemicals. There are a lot of glove manufactures who give you charts on how each glove type blocks specific chemicals. There really isn't one glove that works best for all applications, each have different chemicals they resist better. Even with barrier creams and gloves, you will never be able to block all reactions.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:19 PM
ChuckC
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coming from an industrial hygienist, these are systemic allergies-not a toxic reaction. The very important distinction is that it's person defendant. It's manifestation is also race dependent, interestingly enough. But the warning is that some persons MAY have reactions intense enough to go into anaphylactic shock, though studies have shown this to be rare, with the exception of some of the early exotic epoxies Boeing was using. The amines we play with aren't very good solvents, hence the marginal protection latex provides, though I can echo the statement that nitrile lab type gloves are the preferred option.

once someone is sensitized, their body will trigger to ever smaller exposures, whether skin or respiratory. Reactions may or may not get worse. Skin exposure is the most common as the amines and/or epoxy mix isn't usually airborne in significant concentrations (from what I've read to date), so you see skin manifestations more often. New epoxy formulations may differ and I haven't personally monitored for airborne epoxy components very often.

have not known of any deaths or significant long term injuries, though certainly have studied and seen people having to curtail their activities due to reactions. Best to avoid altogether once you develop such reactions. Better yet, prevent exposure first and don't become sensitized. I always keep gloves handy. Easier to clean up anyway.

Charles H. Carlisle, CIH, CHMM, CSP