Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

glass the feathers or not

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

glass the feathers or not

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 08:09 PM
sparky4lawndart
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default glass the feathers or not

Hi all... I'm bashing an ARF and I've peeled and started glassing but wondered if any of you can help me out with something...

I'm using 0.7oz glass with West Systems 105 and wondered if I can skip putting cloth on the ailerons and flaps and just put the West Systems 105 resin directly on the wood... It would save a few grams and be easier that cutting glass to fit, etc...

I know it sounds like I'm being lazy but wondered if any of you have foregone the cloth part and just finished the wood directly with resin??? I'd still be putting a good sanding, primer, and a good paint on there.

thanks in advance!
Old 01-28-2015, 10:28 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is not cut and dried rule that you have to put glass on anything. Over the years I have built many pattern planes and never glassed anything. I've tried it a few times and found that it didn't make much difference in anything.

You can use just the resin on the bare balsa to seal the grain. Then a couple of coats of a filling primer. Wet sand smooth with 400 grit wet or dry paper finishing up with some 600 grit wet or dry paper.

Place a little water on the surface so you can see a shiny surface and check for any dimples or places that need further smoothing. If you still see the grain dimples, you may need to prime again and then sand.

Then paint it with your favorite finishing system.

Frank
Old 01-29-2015, 06:42 AM
sparky4lawndart
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks !!!