Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Flite Metal Application

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Flite Metal Application

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 01:31 AM
Ali Arif

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flite Metal Application

Hi Guys,

I am beginner at model making and an intermediate in flying. I have just ordered myself a TF P47 1/7 Kit. Intentions are to make it look as scale as my skills can handle, probably not going to go making major modifications to. Following is going to be my process:

1. Kit building
2. fiber glassing
3. Flite Metal paneling
4. Rivoting
5. Decals

Q.No.1. Do I need fiber glassing for flite metal application?
Q.No.2. If yes! I plan to use 3/4 oz film with Minwax polycrylic water based, How many cans I will be requiring for a 1/7 scale TF P47? I need to place order once since its not availbale at where I live.

Looking forward to your responses.

Thanks
Old 11-08-2015, 07:29 PM
ChuckC
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, for sure you'll have to fiberglass as flite metal needs a hard, smooth surface. There are some awesome videos out there that'll show you how. Also, Ultimate Jets had a how to on line at one time.

Polycrylic? I don't know, but would think it might not harden up enough. The adhesive on the tape is crazy aggressive, so you might not be able to pull off a messed up panel without pulling up the cloth underneath.

You're going to have to test it.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:12 PM
Ali Arif

Thanks chuckc, this polycrylic with 3/4oz fiber is used on surf boards, the balsa sheeting underneath will give it strength and support. Yes! I'll do a test first, give it ample time before proceeding. Any idea what is a good temperature range for fiber glass work?
Old 11-09-2015, 12:40 PM
ChuckC
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, I've built a hollow wood surfboard and used to surf. Mostly, the industry used polyester resin as opposed to polycrylic clear coat. Two entirely different products. 3/4 ounce cloth is the right cloth for covering, but remember the stuff is thin and light. It doesn't add a whole lot of strength but does add a little. I've used polycrylic before for woodworking as I needed to clearcoat some stuff. I founf the polycrylic to work better at higher temperatures (like 80-95 degrees F), but don't know if that's desirable from a glassing point of view because you typically want more open time to work it before it sets.

Sorry - just haven't used polycrylic for glassing - I've always used higher grade epoxy. Good luck and let us know how it works. Please post pics. When you get to the point of doing your Flite Metal, speak up as perhaps I can cajole a guy that's very awesome with it to chime in. I don't have near as much experience, but love the stuff.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:10 PM
tunakuts3d

Check out Tom Pierce's website he used poly crylic on his sbd dauntless. http://www.tompierce.net/SBD/html/paint.htm