Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Carbon fiber cloth source?

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Carbon fiber cloth source?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 08:31 PM
ng8264723

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon fiber cloth source?

I want to wrap my leading edge with carbon fiber for strength. Anyone have a source? It is an 80 inch wing
Old 01-19-2016, 02:52 AM
RAPPTOR
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ebay

get tape any width
Old 01-19-2016, 08:49 PM
Pylonracr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Be careful with any fabric on ebay, you have no idea what you will really get. It may be genuine carbon graphite, or it may be fiberglass with a black dye.
I get the majority of the fabric I use that is not custom woven from CST or Fiberglast. You can get tape material and yardage fabric in a variety of weights.
What is it you are looking for exactly? If you want carbon fabric in the 1.5 to 2.5 oz range you will have to want it awfully badly, as it does not come cheap. 5.7 oz fabric is not too bad and readily available, but it adds a lot of weight quickly.
A little more information would help make an informed decision.

Scott
Old 01-20-2016, 09:51 AM
MTK

Originally Posted by ng8264723
I want to wrap my leading edge with carbon fiber for strength. Anyone have a source? It is an 80 inch wing
I get some of mine from Carbon Fiber Deals.com. Their heavier weight cloth is far less expensive than their lightest cloth, but even their light cloth (when available) is far less expensive than the cloth you might buy from other sources. It's real carbon fiber. If woven cloth is too much then consider using the non woven cloth from Aerospace composites, Brodak, CST sales, etc. It comes in very light (0.2 ounce), light (0.3 ounce) and medium (0.5 ounce) weights. Beware that the .5 ounce can build up weight quickly because it is fairly thick stuff and any resin you use will tend to build up within the fibers.

Having said all of that, I don't get why you feel compelled to use a carbon LE on an 80" spanned model. Are you planning to use it as a battering ram in combat? It shouldn't be needed for strength only.
Old 01-20-2016, 03:38 PM
ng8264723

well I thought I could wrp the spliced area with the carbon fiber tape. Perhaps a one inch piece 30-40 inches long. I thought if I attached it with tape it would hardly add any weight. Perhaps i dont really need it at the splices if i splice on a 30 degree
Old 02-03-2016, 01:27 PM
darren763
My Feedback: (117)

Express composites in mpls mn they have a 2in wide cloth.http://www.expresscomposites.com/

Darren
Old 03-18-2016, 11:55 AM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

In my opinion carbon fiber is over kill when renforcing wings. I use carbon fiber on landing gear plates or other high stress areas.
Old 11-19-2016, 08:06 PM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Soller Composites has a sale on there 3K cloth at the moment. http://www.solarcomposites.com/compo...carbon.html#3K Item #5 is what I just bought. Shipping is very reasonable also.

Ken