Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Paint run

Old 04-28-2020, 04:26 PM
7aso
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Paint run

I have some minor paint run to the undercarriage. What is the best way to fix this.

Old 04-28-2020, 05:22 PM
airsteve172

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 7aso View Post
I have some minor paint run to the undercarriage. What is the best way to fix this.

The fix for this is actually quite simple!
Make up a sanding block that's about 1"x 2", tightly wrap some #600 wet sandpaper around it, wet the sandpaper by dipping it in some water and gently sand the run until smooth while keeping the sandpaper wet. A drop or two of soap or dishwashing liquid can be added to the water for better lubrication.
After the surface is sufficiently level and smooth, repaint the part, being careful not to cause a run this time!
Old 04-29-2020, 12:22 AM
7aso

Originally Posted by airsteve172 View Post
Make up a sanding block that's about 1"x 2", tightly wrap some #600 wet sandpaper around it, wet the sandpaper by dipping it in some water and gently sand the run until smooth while keeping the sandpaper wet. A drop or two of soap or dishwashing liquid can be added to the water for better lubrication.
After the surface is sufficiently level and smooth, repaint the part, being careful not to cause a run this time!
Thanks I'll give it a try
Old 04-29-2020, 01:27 PM
carlgrover

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Actually, the 'best" way to fix that run is to very carefully watch the part after you paint it for runs. If you see one forming, turn the part in the opposite direction of the run and let it run back. Many times the run will disappear. It sounds like i'm joking but i've had to do this a lot more times than I care to admit. It works.

So next time, catch them while they're wet. This time, what the other guy just said.

carl
Old 05-02-2020, 04:11 PM
7aso

It worked out great. Paint run gone. Thanks for your help.
Now I have a new problem:

What's the best way to fix the paint peel? Sand it off and start over or fill it in
Old 05-02-2020, 06:28 PM
airsteve172

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 7aso View Post
It worked out great. Paint run gone. Thanks for your help.
Now I have a new problem:

What's the best way to fix the paint peel? Sand it off and start over or fill it in
Whether to sand and/or fill it depends on how dry or hadened the paint is. If the paint is rubbery it won't sand very willingly and chances are that the edges of the paint will continue to peel.

It would certainly help to know what kind of paint it is, but I have an idea anyway.

With a very sharp blade, carefully trim away all peeled away paint. Take a fine point artist brush and fill in the peeled area with the yellow making sure that the paint being brushed is making complete contact with the surrounding paint edges. Let it dry thoroughly and wet sand over the affected area in the same fashion as done for the run to make it smooth again and follow up with a finish spray coat of paint to complete the job.

The reason for painting with a brush first is to seal the edges where the paint peeled so that the layer of paint will not continue to peel during sanding and the brushed paint also provides at least some amount of filling in the peeled area before sanding.

Brushing paint onto the bare spot may not be absolutely necessary before sanding, but it provides a little extra assurance that sanding will not cause further peeling.

Last edited by airsteve172; 05-02-2020 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-03-2020, 01:32 AM
7aso

Whether to sand and/or fill it depends on how dry or hadened the paint is. If the paint is rubbery it won't sand very willingly and chances are that the edges of the paint will continue to peel.

It would certainly help to know what kind of paint it is, but I have an idea anyway.

With a very sharp blade, carefully trim away all peeled away paint. Take a fine point artist brush and fill in the peeled area with the yellow making sure that the paint being brushed is making complete contact with the surrounding paint edges. Let it dry thoroughly and wet sand over the affected area in the same fashion as done for the run to make it smooth again and follow up with a finish spray coat of paint to complete the job.

The reason for painting with a brush first is to seal the edges where the paint peeled so that the layer of paint will not continue to peel during sanding and the brushed paint also provides at least some amount of filling in the peeled area before sanding.

Brushing paint onto the bare spot may not be absolutely necessary before sanding, but it provides a little extra assurance that sanding will not cause further peeling.
Thanks. I'll give it a shot today.

I'm using warbird colors. For some reason, yellow is the only color that peeled on me.
Old 05-03-2020, 06:13 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 68 Likes on 65 Posts

What material is the yellow paint applied to and how did you prep?
Old 05-03-2020, 07:38 AM
7aso

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie View Post
What material is the yellow paint applied to and how did you prep?
Fiberglassed fuse with filler primer, stripped down then added primer from warbird colors. painted over with a numax gravity feed gun. I mixed and thinned with water per instructions and applied evenly.
Old 05-03-2020, 08:00 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 68 Likes on 65 Posts

Did you sand the Warbird brand primer at all before applying the yellow? Just trying to figure out your lack of adhesion issue.
Old 05-03-2020, 01:30 PM
7aso

So far so good. The trick worked. Maybe I didn't mix it well enough?