Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Sullivan Hi Tork battery pack

Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Sullivan Hi Tork battery pack

Old 05-09-2020, 07:00 PM
hajbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sullivan Hi Tork battery pack

I have a Sullivan Hi Tork starter that has been on the shelf for many years, I decided to finally dust it off and clean it up. This one has been modified, it originally came with a rather long cable with battery clamps at the end. Somewhere along I bought a battery pack specially designed for this starter. This would be in the late seventies. The long cable was cut and terminals crimped on to fit onto spade lugs on the battery pack. This was a pretty nice setup, saved me from carrying along a motorcycle battery to run the starter.
Anyway, I would like to find out if these batteries still hold a charge. The batteries still look very clean, no leakage or white crystals coming out of the ends. Ten cells about the size of a "C" size battery, all connected in series nose to tail, no indication or marking to indicate what the individual cell voltage is, or even what type of cell it is. I am guessing they are 1.5V ni-cad. This pack was sold by a company called Southwest RC Products, cant find anything on line about them anymore. Naturally any written instructions I got back then are long gone.
I have a battery charger that may be the one I used to use, labeled "Dave Brown Products", 15VDC output at 60mA.
I think this battery pack was quite popular back in the day, anyone remember these or still have one? Anyone know approximately how many amp-hour a pack like this might have? If these old cells aren't rechargeable anymore, I could always try to get replacement cells, or simply attach a cord like the original, but the portable pack is still pretty cool if I could get it to work again.
Tried to post pictures, got a message that I need 10 posts first.

Old 05-09-2020, 08:01 PM
hajbo

Found out a little more, the battery pack has to be nicd, the nimh was not invented yet. They are sub-C cells. Cell voltage is 1.2V, so 10 in series would give 12V. Capacity of modern batteries is 2100 mAh or better, the older ones are much less, 1200 or 1400 mAh
Old 05-09-2020, 08:42 PM
GREG DOE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You could go back with NiCads, or NIHM's but most people today use LiPo's. If you want to stick with NiCads check out your local Batteries & Bulbs, or check out Amazon. There's a lot of info on the net. You might search YouTube for "Starter battery packs for RC cars and airplanes"
Old 05-10-2020, 09:15 AM
tedsander

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

I went with LiFe batteries for my starter. Of course, you will need a charger for them. Something with capacity, and in 4S configuration would be perfect. LiFe has a bit lower voltage than LiPo's, and are generally safer. Here's one version I wold consider (even though I generally consider HK products short term and disposable....) but for a starter, it would be a good use:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-co...en_us_products

Lighter, much more capacity, and can charge in an hour. I can go weeks/months between charges.....
You just have to judge if it will fit in your current holder for batteries.
Old 05-10-2020, 02:07 PM
hajbo

Put the nicad pack on the charger overnight, to my surprise it took a charge and the starter turns like a champ. Looks like nicad is old school however. Discharging them properly can be a little fiddly. The nicad cell arrangement inside the plastic "brick" is ten cells in one layer, two rows of five side-by-side lying on their sides, with bottoms of one row riding the tops of the other row. Quite compact, the brick is just big enough to hold them with no extra space, it is about the size of a paperback book.
This pack discharged itself since I last used it and has not been re-charged for at least 25 years until now. As long as it works I guess I will stay with the old cells, but will have to look at what else will fit inside the brick if they stop performing. I see the LiFe have a 3.2 nominal voltage, would only need four to run the starter.
Emailed Sullivan, the soft rubber cup in the yellow drive cone is a little hardened and cracked at the front, see if I can get another one
Old 05-10-2020, 04:01 PM
GREG DOE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just as a side note this thread is for "composites fabrication and repair". That would be, how to repair and make fiberglass, and carbon fiber parts? The starter battery pack subject has been covered a lot in other threads. From what you describe it sounds like you have the red fiber filled nylon Sullivan battery box, which was mad for NiCads, but will accept LiFe, or LiPo's.
Old 05-10-2020, 04:23 PM
hajbo

okay, sorry, I just saw the other guy's thread on re-doing the switches for a couple of his Hi-Tork starters and just posted under the same topic