Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Vacuum cleaner for bagging use

Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Vacuum cleaner for bagging use

Old 01-01-2021, 09:17 PM
jester_s1

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Well I wound up building a continuous system.
I scavenged an old mini fridge for free that didn't cool anymore. Turned out the pump was leaky, so that was no good. I scored another one that wouldn't turn on, and since they had the same compressor I took the relay off of the leaky one to fix it. The mini fridge pump can pull about 15 inches of vacuum, more than enough for sheeting wings and tails. I spent about $40 on brass fittings and an adjustable vacuum relief valve. I made a dual output with a valve on one so I could do one wing, pull vaccum, then do the other in a second bag. The continuous system doesn't care about small leaks and is more compact than a tank style one would have been. Overall, I'm happy with what I got.
Countilaw is right though. Buying the EZ Vac would have been easier with just as good results.
Old 01-02-2021, 07:04 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts

Paul, not to be argumentative here but I think you are better off with what you have fabricated then just buying an EZ vac. For one it sounds like you have adjustability. The bigger thing eith the EZ vac is that it flows a very low CFM. Like I said earlier any leak in your bag and the vacuum is greatly reduced. Since it it continually running it makes finding the leak a bit more difficult to find. At this point I would suggest spending another $30.00 and add a tank and vacuum switch.
Old 01-02-2021, 09:19 AM
jester_s1

The only leaks that I've had to deal with so far is on the taped up hose entrance to the bag. If I had it to do it over, I would go with a smaller hose than the 1/2 inch that was recommended so it would be more flexible. But with the high tack bag tape, all I really have to do is listen for the hiss and squeeze at the tape joint until it stops. This last time I used it I had to hold it with a spring clamp- no big deal. I turn it on, set the relief valve for the vacuum I want, and come back the next day to find a warm pump and the same vacuum setting that I left it with. Easy peasy.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:10 PM
Pylonracr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jester, Sadly, very Sadly, I am going to roll with Shawn here. For all the reasons he posted and one more very significant. Value. I looked at the EZ lam system and saw $145 ish, there is about 20 bucks worth of consumables and the pump alone i available for $124. so for 124 bucks you get a pump that can pull a maximum of 8 inches of vacuum at 0.2cfm. I emphasize Maximum because I live in the high desert at 5000' altitude where on a hit summer day we can see 8200'DA. So here, I would see a MAX of 6" vacuum and 0.16cfm. For $124. My rotary vane pump will pull between 23 and 25 inches at 2.5cfm in my shop for a price of $76. I simply can not see spending that money for a pump that is less than 1/10 the pump I have for almost twice the money. That is why I dismissed it as soon as I saw the pump specs.

Scott
Old 01-14-2021, 09:56 AM
jester_s1

Yeah, the EZ vac's biggest selling point is that it's EZ. You take it out of the box, plug it in, and use it. I went to a little more trouble and got a better system, IMO.