Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Let's try to build a home made Kevlar fuel tank! >

Let's try to build a home made Kevlar fuel tank!

Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Let's try to build a home made Kevlar fuel tank!

Old 01-26-2023, 08:17 AM
  #1  
Thread Starter
 
sandrocacciola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Grosseto, ITALY
Posts: 257
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Let's try to build a home made Kevlar fuel tank!

Hi friends,

I'm opening this new thread of mine to share my experiences, techniques, mistakes and suggestions with all fans of this hobby. What I want to talk to you about today is the creation of a kevlar tank for a turbine jet that I will soon set up: a 2.2mt "Predator" by PilotRc. Even if there are several videos on this topic on the net, my thread wants to be "down to earth", simple simple, made not by a professional but by a model maker who continues to have the passion to "try" and put himself to the test.
Let's start from the model: for this tank I was inspired by what PilotRc sells separately for its "Predator 2.2", a tank with integrated Uat (always full) of 4.6 Lt. The idea came to me because from a few months ago I bought a 3D printer and it is with this printer that I made the molds of the tank. The problem was finding the drawings of this tank and then converting them into 3D but luckily some users of a forum specialized in 3D printing and drawing (https://www.stampa3d-forum.it/) helped me. A forge of ideas and people who are not only capable but above all available. I posted the 2D Cad format photos of this tank and in a few days and several tweaks and modifications the "Stl" format of my tank and Uat is ready.




Last edited by sandrocacciola; 01-26-2023 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-26-2023, 08:18 AM
  #2  
Thread Starter
 
sandrocacciola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Grosseto, ITALY
Posts: 257
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Slightly reduced to have a capacity of about 3.5 liters (more than enough for my 120N turbine) the main part of the tank has been designed in 4 shells (two halves for the lower part (which also has a flare where the upper to close the two shells with a perfect joint) and two halves for the upper one to allow the shot to be easily extracted from the master.
Once the files were obtained, I started to do some printing tests on my Artillery Sidewinder X2 to find (I use “Cura” as the slicer) the right parameters that would allow for the smoothest internal mold surface possible. Once I found the optimal configuration I started printing the molds. It took about 55 hours of printing to get all the pieces and at this point I dedicated myself to the finishing work.
(continued)





Last edited by sandrocacciola; 01-26-2023 at 08:33 AM.
Old 03-20-2023, 09:14 AM
  #3  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Nice work!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.