Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
 looking for carbon fiber horns >

looking for carbon fiber horns

Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

looking for carbon fiber horns

Old 02-10-2004, 11:41 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for carbon fiber horns

I posted this inquiry on the warbirds forum (and got a hit with a link to BVM models)but thought some of you might know of other solutions. I have joined elevator halves of a plane I am building with a carbon fiber rod. I need to attach a control horn to the center of the rod. A company makes control horns that "wrap" the leading edges of rudders and elevators (can't recall the name but you would recognize it if you saw it...they sell accessories for giant scale planes) but the horns are made of nylon. I would prefer a control horn made of CF that I can CA to the joiner rod for a "fail-proof" fit. Does anybody know of anything or have another solution? This is a scale plane so I can't run seperate rods to each elevator half.....thanks....and thanks for the previous link to BVM
Old 02-10-2004, 02:00 PM

Default RE: looking for carbon fiber horns

You probably could make your own from CF plate without too much trouble. Make the joiner rod go through a hole in the horn, rough up the rod where the horn will go, then wrap the joint with CF tow or Kevlar thread. Saturate the joint with strong epoxy. Pray you never have to take it apart.

-David
Old 02-10-2004, 07:42 PM
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: davidfee

You probably could make your own from CF plate without too much trouble. Make the joiner rod go through a hole in the horn, rough up the rod where the horn will go, then wrap the joint with CF tow or Kevlar thread. Saturate the joint with strong epoxy. Pray you never have to take it apart.

-David
The joiner tube is already epoxied into each respective elevator half so running it through a hold drilled into a horn wouldn't work....I could "notch" the horn and CA it but was hoping there might be a carbon fiber control horn like C.B. Associates makes which wraps around the joiner tube......
Old 04-23-2004, 04:51 PM
My Feedback: (2)

yeah this is late but I found a place. I bought some for my 2meter Carbon Blade glider.

http://www.hilaunch.com