Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Bondo problem...

Old 04-02-2004, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bondo problem...

Thought I would ask this here in the composite forum, since some of you may know for sure.

I mixed up some Bondo to fill my cowl seam, and mixed a dab of hardener for a glob of resin. I usually add enough to get it to set up in about 5 minutes like the instructions on the can say, but this time I used a little less to give a little longer work time. After a half hour it is still not fully cured and is still mushy to the touch. It did thicken up after 10 minutes or so, but will this stuff eventually harden even though I didn't use enough hardener? Maybe a couple of days? Not sure how this stuff reacts compared to epoxy. I know epoxy will eventually harden, even if you skimp on the hardener, but what about Bondo?

Patriot
Old 04-02-2004, 11:32 PM

Default RE: Bondo problem...

Bondo, which is formulated with polyester resin, responds well to additional heat and ultraviolet exposure.

So tonight, you might use a hair dryer to heat the area for a few minutes, at least until the surface gets quite warm to the touch. This, perhaps repeated a couple of times, will help it 'kick' completely.

Tomorrow, if it's sunny and warm, place the cowl in the direct sun for an hour or so, so it gets warm to the touch.

If it's really undercatalyzed, you may have to scrape off the remaining top, soft layer that might remain uncured, sanding the harder underlayer, and add a final application of properly mixed bondo.
Old 04-03-2004, 01:10 PM

Default RE: Bondo problem...

Couldn't wait, scraped it all off with a popsicle stick, and did the whole thing over, only took 15 minutes.

Patriot