Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
 Anyone using carbon rods, tubes rectangles etc,.. >

Anyone using carbon rods, tubes rectangles etc,..

Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Anyone using carbon rods, tubes rectangles etc,..

Old 04-06-2004, 10:56 PM
Kev
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone using carbon rods, tubes rectangles etc,..

Hi all,

Does anyone have experience with carbon fiber shapes (rectangles, tubes others?) for reinforcing a fuselage? I am building a large sized model and wanted to use some of these shapes to add strength and stiffness to the structure. The carbon fiber rectangles look promising but how strong are they? The 0.032 X 0.310 sized rectangle was what I was thinking of. Any suggestions or alternatives?

Thanks
Old 04-07-2004, 10:22 AM

Default RE: Anyone using carbon rods, tubes rectangles etc,..

I am using carbon tubes for spars on a large wing (11 ft span). They make for a pretty stiff wing, even before fiberglassing.

It is kind of tricky to align them, but I am using nested sizes of tubes to allow the wing panels to be seperated for transport.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:00 PM

on the same trail as you and have fount little on the subject thus far, this link i suspect is where i will get my meterial.. http://www.graphitestore.com/items_l...d/25/cat_id/23
i have read that you DONT use CF for spar webs
Old 04-22-2004, 02:14 PM
My Feedback: (14)

For their weight, tubes are significantly stiffer and stronger than a rectangular section. You can bond them to the fuelsage side with fiberglass overlays. Unless you have a really weak structure, I don't really see the point however.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:37 PM

ORIGINAL: DOH_Blk_Adder
I have read that you DONT use CF for spar webs
That is an unfortunate weakness of my design. If I had thought it out better, I would have incorporated a shear web of some short between the carbon tubes. As it is, they are there to add some stiffness and accomodate the removal of the outer portions of the wings for transport. Not shown in the picture, there are some plywood shear webs at the root and place where the wings seperate for the purplose of holding a short aluminum bar stiffener for the joints. This does not yeild the benefit that a full shear web would give, though.