Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
 How to Apply Covering on Fiberglass or Carbon? >

How to Apply Covering on Fiberglass or Carbon?

Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

How to Apply Covering on Fiberglass or Carbon?

Old 05-09-2004, 09:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to Apply Covering on Fiberglass or Carbon?

Hi all,

What's the best way to apply covering (MonoKote) on glass or carbon wings?

Should spackle be used to fill the weave?, and what should be applied or done to the surface to ensure adhesion of the covering?

Is glass or carbon sensitive to the heat of a covering iron (around 350F)? MonoKote is a high-temperature film, but I prefer it for its strength.

Any other considerations?

TIA
Old 05-10-2004, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to Apply Covering on Fiberglass or Carbon?

Back in the 80s, I once covered a glassed "Calypso" pattern plane with Monokote.

It looked ok from about 10 feet back, but I had kept the glassing light, for the sake of weight, and the cloth weave showed through, when you were within 6 feet or so.

I applied it in the same way as I would with any other model:
First, I tacked down the edges, using hight heat, and just being careful not to "melt" the epoxy. Then I used a heat gun to shrink the film. Finally, I went back and re-checked all the edges, and did some additional high-temp sealing around servo cutouts and landing gear wells.

These days, unless I'm in a big hurry, I paint all glassed surfaces.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:19 AM

What's the best way to apply covering (MonoKote) on glass or carbon wings?

I would advise against it. I have never been able to keep the monocote tight during the winter storage. I think your airplane will look as if it is covered with Bubblepack!

Ed S
Old 05-11-2004, 12:03 PM

I think paint is a better option if you don't have any open structures to deal with. Epoxy (and polyester) will soften and distort if you get it too hot under an iron. Spackle can work well to fill open weave, followed by primer and paint.

If you must use Monocoat over composites, scuff the surface lightly with sandpaper (~320 grit) and apply a secondary thermo-sensitive adhesive such as Coverite's "Balsarite." http://www.coverite.com/accys/covr2500.html

-David