Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Balsarite

Old 11-13-2004, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balsarite

I am constantly in pursuit of new and improved methods of applying plastic film. I realize that preparation, etc. is very important for a good finish. I've heard many people comment on Balsarite. Some swear by it...........I'm wondering what the consensus might be on this product. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-13-2004, 03:19 PM

Default RE: Balsarite

On my last two planes, I used balsarite on the first, didn't on the 2nd, with monokote on both. I had better results without the balsarite. In my opinion, the monokote was easier to apply with out the balsarite. If you want to use it, use it sparingly. I had it reccomended to me just to use it in areas where you want some extra fuel resistance, such as around the firewall. I also use a woodpecker before covering. That really helps keep the air bubbles out.
Old 11-14-2004, 12:18 AM
My Feedback: (61)

If I am going to use balsarite, I only use it on either plywood, hardwood, and area that have been glassed for strength. Monokote works fine on balsa but the balsarite makes the monokote work better on the areas mentioned above.

just my $0.02 worth

Don//
Old 11-21-2004, 09:30 PM
My Feedback: (6)

I used balsarite only once and I'm not sold on it. The monokote stills bubble up and works loose. I'll never use it again. Larry