Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Epoxy Not Setting?

Old 06-23-2005, 11:07 PM
cameron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Epoxy Not Setting?

Hello,

I have just glued a 2 x 1 m building board to a steel frame using epoxy.
24 hours later, the left over glue in the mixing cup has only just become tacky, still very flexible and fluid like.
I think the problem may be that the ambient air temperature is too low, (10deg c).
Will the epoxy eventually set in these conditions?
Will bond strength be compromised?

I have used this epoxy before with good results in seemingly similar conditions, so I am very confused as to what is going on.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou,
Cameron McDonald.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:52 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Epoxy Not Setting?

It sounds like you either used the wrong proportions when mixing or the epoxy is old. Epoxy that is over a year old should be very suspect, especially if it doesn't cure properly.

My suggestion is to clean off all the present epoxy using alcohol and get some new epoxy.

If the epoxy is curing properly it should be hard to the touch within 3 - 4 hours (maximum - it usually around 1 - 2 hours ) for 30 minute epoxy. Epoxy will not get it's full strength for about 24 - 48 hours, although it may APPEAR to be completely cured.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:58 AM
bayport_bob

10 C/ 50 F is really too cold to expect a reasonable cure time with most epoxy systems. Move the parts into a room temperature area and they should cure normally once they warm up.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:42 AM
cameron

Thanks guys, just placed an oil column heater under the trestles, then sealed the sides in with plastic insulation, will see how it goes in the morning.

My suggestion is to clean off all the present epoxy using alcohol and get some new epoxy.
That is a ***** load of epoxy to clean up!!!!
I fear you may be right though[:@]
Old 07-05-2005, 06:43 PM
rcairplanenut

Hello,

I would not let epoxy cure in temp less then 70ºF, some epoxys require a post cure at a an even higher temp, I just put the parts in my black topper on my truck on a hot day and it will get the job done for aeropoxy.

Same as what the other people said careful with old epoxy and mix ratio.

Make sure you have it thoroughly mixed. A lot of epoxys have a die in the hardener when it turns to a constant color with no strands of hardener it is mixed.

SG
Old 07-06-2005, 06:55 AM
tom czenthe

I used that part A stuff.......it didn't set so I tried the B stuff.........it was just as bad
Old 07-06-2005, 12:35 PM
big_G

Uh Oh! Didn't you mix an EQUAL quantity of "Part A" with "Part B"?... you must use both at the same time....
Old 07-07-2005, 02:35 PM
tom czenthe

Just kidding.......I was in one of those moods
Old 07-07-2005, 04:47 PM
bruce88123

Big G - Hutto, TX ? I was about to say you live in the middle of nowhere but when I pulled up the map and saw where you are, now I'm envious. Should be a great place. But you really should have seen that part A/Part B thing coming. You must have been tired.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:33 AM
bikz

dude, i live in a very hot place and had encountered the same prob....i think the epozy was screwed up....tried some from a dif brand (new tubes) and it set well..
Old 07-19-2005, 04:10 PM
Barrycb
My Feedback: (35)

Hey guys, I live in south Texas where it never gets really cold and have just about given up on using epoxy. I can't get it to set up at all. Never had that problem until last summer. Epoxy just won't set up. It's like the original post, just stays gooey. I've tried everything from over-catalyzing to getting new batches of epoxy. Nothing is working. Sure makes building a pain in the neck. I'm using Gorilla glue in place of the epoxy but there are some limits to that. Any ideas???????
Old 07-19-2005, 04:48 PM
bruce88123

I use epoxy at the flying field when the temp is in the mid/upper 90's with index's over 100 with no problem. I can tell you that incorrect mix ratios are NOT going to help a thing. Not exactly sure what you are doing wrong (if anything). Use the prescribed mix ratios and remember some are by weight and some are by volume. What brands are you trying and what are you trying to do with them? How big of a batch are you mixing?
Old 07-19-2005, 06:33 PM
TT2
My Feedback: (13)

At a competition I attended a few years ago, the winning pilot used only 'Part B' on his wing! Worked great! Of course, it was a combat competition and the Part B was used along the leading edge to grab steamers...

bbsailor, I totally agree with bruce88123's comments. What kind of epoxy are you using (brand, flavor)? I am wondering also if humidity is a contributing factor to the bubblegum you're ending up with. A quality epoxy should set up like a rock, and excessive heat tends to make them set up harder and quicker.

-Tom
Old 07-19-2005, 08:28 PM
mars

At work we use a hot box to cure epoxy. Apply, cook for 24 hours, then sand to shape desired.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:06 AM
bruce88123

We have high humidity here in Memphis, about the same as Houston & Galveston area where I used to live so I don't think that is the problem either.