Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Vacuum Bagging Fuse

Old 06-29-2005, 05:13 PM
djk9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vacuum Bagging Fuse

I am vacuum bagging for the first time and I have a question about the fuselage. We have a wooden frame and are planning to cover it with kevlar. The problem is we aren't sure how to keep the kevlar from getting sucked into the gaps in the frame while we vacuum bag it. One idea we had was to monokote the frame then do the kevlar layup and vacuum it. We are worried, however, that the pressure would simply break the monokote. We could make some foam inserts to hold the shape during bagging but we would then have to deal with cutting them out while not damaging the kevlar. We aren't opposed to simply letting the kevlar cure without vacuum bagging if that is possible but I am told that it is extremely hard to get kevlar to hold it's tension if it isn't under the pressure of the vacuum bag. If anyone has any experience or other ideas please share.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:25 PM
davidfee

Default RE: Vacuum Bagging Fuse

I'm not clear on what you're trying to do. You can't put a hollow structure (wooden fuselage frame) in a vacuum bag or you will simply crush it.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:32 AM
Ed Smith

If anyone has any experience or other ideas please share.
You did ask.

Can you be more specific? Are you laying Kevlar over a monokoted fuselage? To be frank this is a disaster about to happen! Are you covering a sheeted fuselage with Kevlar? If you put a fuselage in a vacuum bag, as David says, you will end up with a bag of matchsticks. Kevlar is miserable material to use. It has limited applications in our hobby.

Ed S
Old 06-30-2005, 11:47 AM
djk9

Ok apparently I was misinformed. What I have is a fuselage (its for a school project) made of a wooden framework. I talked to a guy here who has some experience doing kevlar layups/vacuum bagging and the main thing we were worried about was the kevlar sucking into the gaps between the pieces of wood in the frame. We thought maybe if we put monokote to cover the gaps the kevlar would form nicely around the frame like the monokote would. After talking to you guys though it sounds like unless I want to start over I better come up with an alternative solution. Thanks for the heads up. I have to agree with Ed Kevlar is no fun. We have used it on a couple other pieces and it has worked well but I think we may end up just having to use fiberglass on the fuse. We were hoping to use kevlar because it is stronger than FG but in the end you have to go with what works right.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:10 AM
goony

the only way you can do this is to feed the bag through the frame work too

this is presuming that it is a hollow structure and you can get hold of some tubed bagging
if you can and it is then its easy to do

if its a standard type shape of fuss then it will be a sort of oblong and will taper from front to back

so measure the length of the fuss and make the bag 3 times the length
put your tacky tape around the outside of 1 end then feed the other end through the fuss
untill the bag is at mid point then open the bag and put your hands through each end to make sure the bag isnt twisted so fingers touch
then pull the bag back around the outside of the fuss put valves in and seal it against the tacky tape easy peasy

kind regards goony