Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

kevlar shears

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2002, 08:11 PM
ptxman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kevlar shears

Whats the scoop on kevlar shears. Anyone tried the low cost version or do you eventually have to drop +/- 60$ for the 'real' thing? Has anyone had a high quality steel set re-ground at a sharpening shop? How long have they lasted? What is the angle on commercial kevlar shears vs regular scissors anyway? My intended application is the 1.8 oz to 6 oz weight.
Old 10-13-2002, 04:09 AM
TiGuy
My Feedback: (1)

Default kevlar shears

I use an $18 pair of shears available from ACP- (http://www.acp-composites.com/acp-ta.htm). These work great on 1.7 oz kevlar...and equally great on cutting super lightweight glass like .5 oz stuff.
Old 10-13-2002, 10:06 AM
Jetman007
My Feedback: (6)

Default kevlar shears

Order Kevlar shears online at www.Arts-Hobby.com.

Work fine, last a long time. We use them in our fabric cutting business and cut more Kevlar in a year than most will in a lifetime.

These are a super value!

Attached Images  
Old 10-13-2002, 12:57 PM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kevlar cutters

I use the samething as TiGuy has,,, have had no problems.

BV
Old 10-14-2002, 12:28 AM
rpmtech

Default kevlar shears

I have those shears, useless for the 5.5oz kevlar, work fine when new for the really light stuff.

Save your money, I bought those $60 ones and although they are a heavy duty pair of scissors, they still dont do the heavier kevlar very well, and do nothing but hang on the wall now as they are way to heavy and bulkey for most R/C stuff.

I still use a new stanley razor blade and masking tape. Only part that sux is getting the tape off without really pulling the fabric apart, have paitience.
Old 10-14-2002, 12:56 AM
Jeff Leavitt

Default Cutting kevlar & Glass

RPM Dude,

This may sound a little nuts, but bear with me here. Try this. Spray a line of hairspray where you'll be cutting before applying the masking tape. Let it dry a few minutes. Hairspray will hold the Kevlar together and keep from fraying when pulling the tape off. Also, when cutting light glass, lay the glass fabric over a sheet of newspaper and fog with hairspray lightly. You won't believe how easy it will be to handle and cut the glass..

Rgds, Jeff.....
Old 10-15-2002, 01:17 PM
rpmtech

Default kevlar shears

Great idea! will give it a try next time I use Kevlar.

Rick
Old 10-15-2002, 05:36 PM
ptxman
My Feedback: (2)

Default kevlar shears

Can someone measure the angle of their commercial kevlar shears vs normal scissors & give me a number?

Has anyone tried those serrated type scissor blades vrs a plain blade? I get the impression the difficulty has more to do with keeping the fibers orientated together during the cutting action vs the toughness of the fibers themselves.
Old 10-20-2002, 11:24 PM
SoarNeck

Default kevlar shears

Try the method described here: http://home.att.net/~CASA/Mantis/Man...ction_tips.htm

I used it on a pair of Friskars scissors, and they held their edge for over two months (lots of work) before resharpening.