Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

difficult to use Quicklock

Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

difficult to use Quicklock

Old 11-09-2006, 06:42 PM
sportflyer-RCU
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default difficult to use Quicklock

The Aerospace Composites Quicklock is so stiff that I have enormous difficulty snapping the pieces together even without the plastic bag . Is there a simpler way that I am not aware of ? tks
Old 11-09-2006, 07:53 PM
blewis01

Default RE: difficult to use Quicklock

Rubber or plastic mallet
Old 11-09-2006, 07:57 PM
sportflyer-RCU

This is the first time I am using it and I am surprized that it's so stiff that you need a rubber mallet to snap it in. Removing it will be just as tough . I am afraid of breaking the tube .
Old 11-09-2006, 10:30 PM
davidfee

No no no... no mallet.

First of all, what thickness is your bagging material? Obviously, that can make a big difference.

The easiest way I've found for getting the thing together is to fold the bag back over itself. If you have the bag spread out on each side and you're pressing directly on the tube, then it seems to be much more difficult. I think you're, in effect, preventing the bag from sliding into the slot of the clip.

I used to swear by these clips... and I still like them... but tacky tape really does work better in the long run, even though it's a consumable.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:11 AM
sportflyer-RCU

I am using 2 mil thick plastic . Its difficult to get the thing together even without the bag . I will try folding the bag back on itself. TKs
Old 11-10-2006, 08:26 AM
Alabama Racer

I use the Aerospace Quick Loks also & really like them. I had one of the rods (inside part) break after about 10 years of usage.
Not too bad. Make sure you double the bag back over the inner rod and then clip the outer one over that. If it
is a really tight fit, you might try using some soap (a bar of hand soap)and rubbing it on the plastic parts,
clipping them together & removing a few times to lubricate. Works good for me.
Brad
Soap is a good lubricant. There was a lighthouse that was being moved on some rails on the East Coast a few years
back. The friction/weight was too great to get it to slide. They rubbed soap on the rails and off she went.
I heard it on Paul Harvey.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:34 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

I use them all the time, and have never had problems??

This is a surprise to me, I would much rather use them than sticky tape.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:42 PM
tggilkey

The building where my modeling work is done is cool in the building season and assembling the lock can be hard work. I'll try adding the lubricant as suggested above in addition to another procedure I have found helps a lot -- warm up the outer piece. The building is heated by an old oil fired furnace with no plenum on top -- there is a section of wire dog fence laid over the top to keep big things from falling into the heat exchange area -- I just lay the outer piece off to one side and get it warm when I am beginning a layup. The pieces go together much easier with less effort and heartburn -- I think the lube will help also. A heat gun would probably work as well if you don't have access to an old oil fired furnace with an open top...

Tom