Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Hinged servicable/openable wing

Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Hinged servicable/openable wing

Old 04-25-2007, 03:35 AM
Sewageworker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hinged servicable/openable wing

I was wondering what you guys thought of an idea I'm tossing around for creating a wing that can easily be opened/serviced. I'm thinking of putting hinges on the trailing edge enabling the wing to be flipped open from the TE and be serviced. The Leading edge would feature screws the would screw into nuts embedded into the composite of the lower half. This way the wing could be opened for maintenance. This might not be the best idea so if you guys have any better please do share.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:06 PM
MadScientist

Default RE: Hinged servicable/openable wing

I don't think this is such a good idea, especially with a composite wing. Most wings of this type get their strength from bonding at the leading and trailing edge, and at the spar. Think of how flimsy a built up wing is before it's sheeted on both sides and you'll get what I'm trying to say. You could more easily do a hatch of some sort and hinge it, but I would hinge a hatch closer to the leading edge, but not near it, as opposed to the trailing edge, so that if the hatch opened in flight it wouldn't rip off or cause the plane to become unstable.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:33 PM
Sewageworker

ORIGINAL: MadScientist

I don't think this is such a good idea, especially with a composite wing. Most wings of this type get their strength from bonding at the leading and trailing edge, and at the spar. Think of how flimsy a built up wing is before it's sheeted on both sides and you'll get what I'm trying to say. You could more easily do a hatch of some sort and hinge it, but I would hinge a hatch closer to the leading edge, but not near it, as opposed to the trailing edge, so that if the hatch opened in flight it wouldn't rip off or cause the plane to become unstable.

You're absolutely right. I completely forgot about this:

The top and bottom halves of the wing are practically being ripped apart with the separating force being the major component of the lift. I really do need a wing that can be opened for repairs or redesigned and I'm still unsure of a way to do it. One option -that although may sound completely insane- I did consider was using vacuum chambers between the wing halves to hold them together but the construction would be too hard to make it worthwhile. I don't really want to use fasteners such as screws especially on the skin since the stress concentrations will weaken it.
I think I'll have to give up on this sort of wing for now and just have the inside accessible through the aileron hatch. Unless someone has a better idea. If you do please share!
Old 04-28-2007, 04:54 AM
Aquila223

Buyild it properly in the first place and you will have no need to open the wing up. Put hatches over the servo covers and wrap the servo's in tape so you can get them out after they are glued in.

Then the only time you need to open up the wing will be to fix it and chances are it'll already be open.