Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
 Glassing Inside the Fuse? >

Glassing Inside the Fuse?

Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Glassing Inside the Fuse?

Old 08-07-2007, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glassing Inside the Fuse?

'm bogged down in an 82" f4u-5n corsair from modified brian taylor plans. It is (or will be) all built up and sheeted with 1/8" balsa / .75oz glass / west systems resin. I really cut down the formers, and stiffened them up by laminating with 2oz glass. I'd also like to glass and paint the inside of the fuse sheeting for added protection, and well, just because I want to.

So here's the plan: soak the balsa sheeting in water/ammonia to soften it, then lightly tack in place with CA and wrap with ace wrap while it dries. This should help the balsa sheet to take the shape of the fuse, but I am worried that iw will still want to spring back to a flaater shape once I take it off. Once it's dry I'll pop the sheeting off the formers in sections, and tack a sheet of glass to the inside curve with a light shot of (hairspray? 3m77?) now heres where things get fuzzy. I could put the resin on at his point, but then I'd either have to let it cure and then stick it back onto the fuse (worried about warping) or try to stick the galassed balsa back into the right spot while still tacky, and hope not to get horrendous wrinkles and bubbles in the glass.

Another option would be to get the glass tacked onto the balsa with 3m77 as above, and leave it that way while I glue the balsa sheets to the formers. Then I would go back and spray a decent coat of KlassKote epoxy paint (enough to saturate the glass) onto the inside of the sheeted fuse. I modified the build to produce the fuse as top and bottom hlaves, so this idea seems doable, I'd just have to get creative around the radio box. The only thing I'm concerned about with this idea is whether or not the KlassKote would give decent enough adhesion to laminate the glass weave onto the balsa, and what kind of weird effects (bubbling, etc) I might get at the interface between the klasskote and the margins where the sheeting is epoxied to the formers.The KlassCoat would be thinned to go through the spraygun, so I hope it would have decent penetration into both the glass and the underlying (overlying?) balsa.

I know this was a long post, much thanks to everyone who made it this far! I've never tried anything like this before, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the ideas above, or any others you might have.

Thanks,

-J
Old 08-07-2007, 09:37 PM
My Feedback: (98)

Default RE: Glassing Inside the Fuse?

You're making it a big project. If you think you need the strength use heavier glass on the outside. If you're looking to seal the wood on the inside used thinned epoxy or polyurethane paint.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:55 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Probably more trouble than it is worth. If you glass the outside, you will wind up with a monocoque tube. Glassing the inside as well will not increase the strength proportionaly, but the weight will increase proportionaly.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:02 PM

Thanks for the replys.

I'll be moving cross-country with this model, and hope to have it for a long time. If I paint the inside with primer and a color coat (both Klasskote), will I have issues with the paint cracking if there is no fibergalss to reinforce it? I'm especially worried about this happening at the joints between the balsa sheets. Also, will a paint-on-balsa finish be as hard as if there were glass?

Thanks,

-J
Old 08-21-2007, 03:40 PM
My Feedback: (98)

Most guys glass the outside with .75oz glass, then paint with epoxy. If you paint the inside on bare balsa it won't crack, but you could dent it. I think most guys epoxy the fuel tank area and the both sides of the firewall.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:40 PM

Also, will a paint-on-balsa finish be as hard as if there were glass?
No, do not even think of it.

When the fuselage is basically finished with all of the skin in place and sanded then glass the outside with no heavier than 3/4 oz cloth. This will produce a hard surface for the paint process. Paint resin inside the front end mainly to prevent fuel penetration.

Ed S