Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
 Full fiberglass build??? >

Full fiberglass build???

Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Full fiberglass build???

Old 08-08-2007, 03:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full fiberglass build???

Hey,

Im interested in making my TF P47 .60 size (another one) but this time out of fiberglass. I have fiberglassing skills in the aviation industry, but not with model aircraft.

This was how i was thinking of making it, but not sure if its right.

Wing: Stryofoam core hot wire cut. Balsa leading and trailing edge. Spruce spare. Whole thing fiberglassed and vacuumed.

Fuselage: Male mold. Whole thing fiberglassed and vacuumed. Fuse halfs and bulkheads added after.

Tail feather: Stryofoam core hot wire cut. Balsa leading and trailing edge. Whole thing fiberglassed and vaccumed.

All resin will be epoxy. Will i have to post-cure(i think thats what its called) - when you have to heat the bond up to a temperature beyond its noraml usage temperature, so that when it does reach that, it doesnt deform?

Because weight is such a concern, what cloth and how many plys should i use on each of the above??

Also, are there any sites on how to build your own hot wire cutter???

CHeers,
Daniel
Old 08-08-2007, 09:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Full fiberglass build???

Here's a site on hot wire cutter.

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~orman...r/hotwire.html

For wings and tail surfaces, take a look at FliteSkin. It's a sheet of cured fiberglass that can be laminated onto foam cores, or applied over a balsa structure, as long as you don't have compound or small diameter curves (like leading edges). It comes as thin as .007".
I'm currently working on a modified 4* using it. I also found a more generic form of glass sheet as thin as .005 with a more generic price. For a plane like the TF kits, the .007 might be a bit too thin. These products could save you some time and gives a great, ready to paint finish.

http://www.fliteskin.com/

http://k-mac-plastics.net/g10-fr4-sheets.htm

Scott
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22586.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	738104   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54304.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	738105  
Old 08-08-2007, 10:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saramos, , ,

I took a look at that web site for hot wire set ups.
It looks very much the same as the "Feather-cut" http://www.compufoil.com/product_fc.html

I was also surprised to read that this guys interpretation is to "never use nichrome", and he personally prefers stainless steel.
Maybe it's because fishing line is easier, and cheaper to get.

Not ever a mention of what commercial industry uses, like inconel wire

Old 08-08-2007, 03:16 PM

Hey,

So that fiberglass your talking about is pre-preg?? If so, that means i will have to hot bond it, and i dont have the equipment to do that.

Cheers
Old 08-09-2007, 12:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've not done hot wire or foam cores myself, but in searching for info, as you are, it's a site I came across. I too found his comments on nichrome interesting. I do have to say, It didn't take me long to find some really thin stanless wire locally (safety wire often used in aircraft construction to retain nuts). I've purchased most the items to put together a cutter, but it's still going to be quite some time before I get to that project.

As for the FliteSkin, it's a fully cured sheet. On the solid balsa control surfaces and the lite ply sides of the plane I'm working on, I used contact cement that is marketed for attaching formica laminate. I would think that it should work with foam cores too. If not, then a polyurethane glue should work as well. Poly glue (Gorrilla glue) is what they recommend for, and what I used, attaching to open structure.

Scott
Old 08-09-2007, 05:38 AM

Hey

Ive done some reading and found out that white is probably the best foam to use. Blue/Pink foam is stronger, but alot heavier. Are there different types of white foam?? Is there a certain type i should use??
With the moulds for the fuselage, should i make a male or female mold. A male mold will be easier to lay cloth on and vacuum, but a bit of sanding will be needed to make the outside smooth. A female mold will be harder to lay cloth on and vacuum, but a little sanding, if anything, would only be needed.

Is room temperature bonds strong enough for model aircraft. Ive heard that room temp bonds might bow on a hot day in the sun once cured. What temperature does white foam melt/deform at???

When fiberglassing a foam wing under vacuum, is there any chance of the wing twisting??

CHeers