Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Fiberglass paints.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiberglass paints.

Hi, i am in a process of recovering engine cowling, it was painted in the mold, and i am going to repaint it. But what paint should i use? I have tried with aerosol paints, but they did not work, what about car paints?

Thank you.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:19 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fiberglass paints.

I have used the following, they are all fuel proof.
PPG- Concept DCC
Dupont- Chroma One
Klass Kote Epoxy paint.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:57 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Almost any paint will work on fiberglass. The secret is removing the gloss finish first and making sure it's as clean as possible. Sand it with 400 sandpaper, wipe down twice with alcohol to remove any residual mold release, then wash in dish soap and water. Even fingerprint oils can mar a paint finish on fiberglass.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:07 PM
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Magust,

As Pat said, it is VERY important that you remove any mold release and/or body oils or silicone wax before you even attempt to paint. If it was painted in the mold, you only need to clean as suggested and use 320 grit sandpaper to "rough up" the surface prior to application of paint. If you know what type of paint was used in mold, it would be good to duplicate it, but if not, I'd just suggest using what you have and checking for a result. Make certain after you sand that you go thru the cleaning process again.

good luck with your project,

Dan
Carolina Custom Aircraft