Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Live skinned ailerons

Old 09-18-2007, 05:13 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Live skinned ailerons

I am getting ready to build a foam wing and would like to live hinge the ailerons. I was planning on sheeting the wing and fiberglassing the whole thing. After that would someone be so kind as to describe the process? I also am unclear of the weight of cloth I should use. This will be essentially a very fast pylon wing. Thanks for any help.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:53 PM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Live skinned ailerons

Rich,

Look for a thread in the pylon forums titled "skinned hinges Minnesota style." If you cannot find it there, go to the NMPRA page and look for Dave Norman's technique.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:58 PM

Thanks John. You should come up and race with us next may at Love-air.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:25 PM
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_38...2Cstyle/tm.htm
Old 09-18-2007, 11:26 PM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

Thanks John. You should come up and race with us next may at Love-air.
Yes, I really should. It's been a rough couple of years for me with several medical issues regarding my wife. On top of that, my own interest in R/C has been ebbing and flowing. Probably more ebbing lately.

I always intend to get back into it.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:52 AM

Verticle,

that thread is nearly 5 years old, and I have tweaked a few things in the process, should really update the whole thread.

I no longer use Crisco, It does work, but you don't always get a silky smooth "butter like" motion with the rods. I've been using either the plastic tubes, or brass tubes around the torque rods as a bearing instead. Easier.

Medium CA works fine for gluing the fiberglass sheet to the balsa if you scuff it up a tad with sandpaper.

I no longer use Water Based Poly U for my fiberglassing, went back to laminating resin (I buy it by the gallon for cost savings), and I've had some slight issues with WBPU causing some wood warpage in parts.

Otherwise, the basic premise of the thread works very well, and I did a lot of wings that way. A bit of work the first couple of times, but the more you do it, the easier it gets.

Best of luck, let me know if ever get that Zoomer going.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:22 PM

Dave, I have used the Poly -U for glassing as well and really like it. One of the tricks I use with it ( I suppose this would be good with resin as well) is to lightly spray the wing or other surface to be glassed with super 77 contact cement. This keeps the glass in place while adding the poly-u. It would also help to get it stuck down around the corners.
I am designing some fast designs along with building the Zoomer for our club races. The airplanes I am designing will be for .25-.30 size engines. I have a Jett .30 laying around. These will have very long wings- 58" with an MH 20 airfoil. I am getting my wings cut right now. I wanted the info on the skinned hinges for these and the Zommer as well or any future Q-500 I build.
As to the Torque rods, I will be using individual aileron servos other than on my quickees. I want to be able to mix in some flaperon to dirty things up and slow them down. This will be interesting as I want to beat the club members with aerodynamics and not power. Thanks for the help

Rich
Old 09-21-2007, 06:42 AM

Sounds like fun

Good luck.