Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Need a source to have a plug cnc cut

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Need a source to have a plug cnc cut

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 06:41 PM
Centralrchobbies
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a source to have a plug cnc cut

I am working on a cat offshore hull which is 67" lon and 20" wide and was trying to find a source that will cut something that big. Planning on cutting it using MDF boards glued and clamped together alot cheaper then aluminum and still very strong. If someone has a source that would be great. Thanks Rick
Old 01-11-2008, 06:55 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Need a source to have a plug cnc cut

Geez, count me in as well, If someone has a big enough machine I want to do a 110 Fuse in two or three parts.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:37 PM
Mods-R-Me
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: seanreit

Geez, count me in as well, If someone has a big enough machine I want to do a 110 Fuse in two or three parts.
Funny that you may ask this now as I am building a custom cnc machine for that exact purpose. It will be able to machine MDF, aluminum, foam, etc in a cutting area of 59" x 36" x 9". I'm not sure what rates I'll be charging, but I do know it will be much cheaper than laser/plasma. Here is a CAD rendition. I can accept just about any 3D CAD format. When the machine is complete, I'll begin a thread and start servicing customers on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Kelvin @ MRM RCModels
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95553.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	848508  
Old 01-11-2008, 09:34 PM
seanreit

Kelvin, obviously I want the T-38 to be first, and I've got cash in hand ready to go.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:35 PM
Pitts S1S
My Feedback: (9)

Heres my new machine, another week or so and it should be done. Cutting area is 24" x 48" x 7".

Next I have to figure out how it works [X(]

Jeff

Name:	Qn38547.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	848703   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84418.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	848704   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17504.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	848705   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tm30940.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	848706  
Old 01-11-2008, 11:04 PM
Mods-R-Me

ORIGINAL: Pitts S1S

Heres my new machine, another week or so and it should be done. Cutting area is 24" x 48" x 7".

Next I have to figure out how it works [X(]

Jeff
Nice Joe2006! Are you running Geckos? Let me know if you need any help getting it going.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:23 PM
Pitts S1S

I'm running the RTR Xylotex 3 axis with the 269 oz steppers, Mach 3 and Sheetcam so far. Finished up my hold down board tonight, had the cnc cut all the tracks, and drill the mounint holes out. (Good Practice) I've just got to finish the stand for it, put on the limit home switches, and tidy up all the wiring. But so far its working well. I've made a few other sample cuts if 1/4" MDF, 3/4 birch plywood just to test it out.

What are you going to use for your 3d CAM software? I've been looking at V Carve package.

Jeff

Name:	Ay73286.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	848752   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok29156.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	848753   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72005.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	848754  
Old 01-11-2008, 11:29 PM
Mods-R-Me

I'm running the RTR Xylotex 3 axis with the 269 oz steppers, Mach 3 and Sheetcam so far. Finished up my hold down board tonight, had the cnc cut all the tracks, and drill the mounint holes out. (Good Practice) I've just got to finish the stand for it, put on the limit home switches, and tidy up all the wiring. But so far its working well. I've made a few other sample cuts if 1/4" MDF, 3/4 birch plywood just to test it out.

What are you going to use for your 3d CAM software? I've been looking at V Carve package.

Jeff

From what I hear V Carve is pretty good, but if this is your first machine look at BobCAM. Doesn't get more user friendly than that. Right now I'm using SolidCAM (CAM add-on for Solidworks) with Mach 3 as a G-code reader. Works great because I never have to leave the program for toolpaths ans I can simulate the all the cutting operations BEFORE turning on the CNC machine. Previously I was using Mastercam, but it was a little "over the top" for my needs.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:38 PM
Pitts S1S

Well I really put the cart before the horse on this little project. I built the machine first, then started looking at software for it, Then picked up a "Student Version of Solidworks" (much cheaper) If I can figure out how to use and get a proficient as you are then I might spring the big bucks for the regular version.

I went with the Xylotex just because they had a RTR version. The HobbyCNC board is nice but I didn't have any inclination in becoming an Electronics expert building it. The Xylotex was plug and play, except for the Mach 3 / Vista part of it. Load and run everything as Administrator or it doesn't want to work right. Take it from someone who knows [:@]

Jeff
Old 01-12-2008, 12:01 AM
Mods-R-Me

Well I really put the cart before the horse on this little project. I built the machine first, then started looking at software for it, Then picked up a "Student Version of Solidworks" (much cheaper) If I can figure out how to use and get a proficient as you are then I might spring the big bucks for the regular version.

I went with the Xylotex just because they had a RTR version. The HobbyCNC board is nice but I didn't have any inclination in becoming an Electronics expert building it. The Xylotex was plug and play, except for the Mach 3 / Vista part of it. Load and run everything as Administrator or it doesn't want to work right. Take it from someone who knows [:@]

Jeff
Vista? [sm=punching.gif] One of my laptops has vista on it. Just sits in the corner until they get all the bugs worked out.

The Xylotex board is nice but when you want to upgrade (you will, did I mention that when you mix CNC w/ RC it's almost as addictive as an 8 ball of a controlled substance?), you'll need Nema 34 size motors that requie A LOT of amps. Look at the Bob Cambell break out boards with Gecko 202's. That's the standard IMHO.

If your interested, I'll be selling the 3D model with dimentioned 2D .dxf files, parts list, and wiring diagram of my machine from the MRM website in a few months. It's all aluminum and can cut metals without a care.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:34 PM
jratuszn

I've been toying with the idea of doing something along these lines, but instead of getting a CNC plug, Iwas wondering if it would be a good idea to just have a mold made from the CAD file. There are several rapid prototyping companies that will generate parts out of ABS plastic- it seems to me like these could be waxed and used as the molds, without having to worry about parting boards or laying up your own molds from a plug. I think it's probably far from cheap, though with the added cost of materials and time spent making up a mold on top of what you're going to pay for a CNC plug, it may be reasonable? I just don't have any experience with this to know if the ABS parts would have the right properties to be used as molds. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

-J
Old 01-13-2008, 12:19 AM
seanreit

As a matter of fact yes, I contacted proto3d from youtube, and he sent me several samples of his work to see if I wanted to go that route. I Have the parts in hand and am going to make a decision over the next few days, I'll let you know.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:37 AM
TeamSeacats

I really want to build a machine very similar to what you guys have shown here - there's a lot of information out there but nothing that jumps out as a real, tried and true, leader in a build it yourself CNC kit. What you guys have, with a 48X24" bed look incredible - exactly what I'm looking to build. What kind of costs do you guys have in it (not including software or the computer). What kind of time to build?

Step 1: build the garage...
Step 2: cnc router.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:04 PM
Mods-R-Me

The cnc machine in this thread is called a Joe2006 and the plans for it are free. Do a search on cnczone. com for more info. I THINK he even offers a pre-cut kit that only requires hardware for ~$300. Costs depend greatly on the quality of the materails used in construction. Total cost ,excluding electronics, are $300-500$ depending on how patient an ebayer you are.

The machine I'm building is a "spare no expense" type of machine made completely out of Aluminum. Costs are well into the thousands [&:] [X(]
Old 01-16-2008, 11:14 AM
hpghost
My Feedback: (2)

the CNC looks nice!

I confirm also that the use of Xylotex board is a nice choice! have the 4 axis 412oz/in steppers on mine...works great.

I also seen some people having made some aluminium molds instead of plastic. it is very nice! but expensive[]

Pitts, did you tried to do long MDF cutting?

I noticed few issues while 3d milling MDF: speed of cutting with 10mm cutter can not exceed 1m/min at 2mm depth otherwise tool is getting pretty hot / or you give much torque on your trimmer and it gets used faster (+plus the noise!)
also an other issue if you want to make layers and then glue them is the precision required on your table (it must be very very straigt which is usually difficult to achieve with 72" lenght!

if you have some good experiences with MDF let me know. you can see on my raptor building post few CNC plugs done...
Old 01-17-2008, 06:45 PM
RabC

was a mad discovery but have you checked out the latest 3D printing technology,sorry not sure of address but type in 3D printers it should come up but i suspect it would make for some cool plug action.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:02 AM
hpghost
My Feedback: (2)

that is crasy.wonder how the powder fix in the case of for exemple inverted steps if stairs . for stacked parts I do....

expensive stuff!