Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
 How do you use/apply C/F? >

How do you use/apply C/F?

Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

How do you use/apply C/F?

Old 07-04-2008, 07:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do you use/apply C/F?

Carbon Fiber is something I've never used before in construction. What methods are required for it's use and what are the applications of the product?
Old 07-04-2008, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How do you use/apply C/F?

You've kind of asked a really broad question...what kind of applications are you thinking about starting with?

In a broad sense, working with carbon fiber is no different than working with fiberglass. There are a lot of techniques to achieve good finishes and high fiber to resin ratios so you benefit from the strength of the material...let us know more about what you are looking to do and we'll be glad to help.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't realize that I was being so general in my request, sorry. I've seen in construction articles where it has been applied to wing spars or longerons to add strength, but having never used it, I don't know what thicknesses of the material to use, what glues to use, etc. Does it come in sheets, tapes, rods? After many years of building models, I've learned acceptable balsa and plywood thicknesses for specific applications to the point of being able to scratch build. I haven't learned that about C/F. I hope that this helps to clarify my question.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:24 PM

I have some of Dave Brown's CF tow, two packs in fact but I have never really found a good way to apply it other than painting on a coat of epoxy and somehow getting the stuff into it. then another coat before it cures. Be very careful when you open the package or you'l have the biggest mess you ever saw.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:15 PM

Carbon fiber come in several different ways. It comes as: tissue,thread. cloth, mats, rods, and tubes (both square and round) it also comes is sheets and woven strips. It can be applied with many different things used as an adhesive using CA, Epoxy, Polyester Resin, varnish, paint and even dope. How it is applied comes down to the amount of strength and rigidity required. CST sales and several other online vendors had tutorials about some of the different ways you could use it. And if you take the time to read some of the threads in the composite forum they are a lot of different ways that it has been used to give you a few ideas.
Hopefully someone here can explain more about it then myself because I am still at the this is "neat stuff" stage and do not know all that much about it. Although I have used it a couple of different ways in the past few years I am still experimenting.
I can tell you this much it is very strong and can be kept light, if you are careful in how you apply it. Most of the strength of the material is when it is under compression if I understand it properly.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:04 PM
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: iron eagel

Most of the strength of the material is when it is under compression if I understand it properly.
By saying "when it is under compression" you mean compression loads...That is incorrect....Carbon Fiber is strongest in Tension...The same is true for all of the reinforcement fibers that we commonly use (e-glass, s-glass, kevlar and carbon fiber)...They are all strongest in tension and weakest under compressive loads...

Now...Carbon fiber is known for being the strongest/stiffest per weight compared to those common reinforcements (There are varying quilitys of Carbon Fiber...PAN has better overall properties than Pitch, different grades of modulus of elasticity..ect..)...Never the less it would be true to say that "compared to those fabrics mentioned above, carbon fiber would be the strongest under compression"...But all fiber reinforcement materials will be "their strongest" in tension...

Have Fun...

Chuck
Old 07-16-2008, 09:02 PM

Chuck,
Thanks for taking the time to clear that misunderstanding up. Like I said I am a relative novice to the use of carbon fiber and as I said I am still at the "neat stuff" stage.
If you would not mind could you explain what the difference is between "PAN and Pitch". I have to admit to being total clueless of what those terms mean.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:19 PM
My Feedback: (18)

Here is a pretty neat website with some insite on CF:
http://carbon-fiber.com/

He explains much better than I can...
Old 07-16-2008, 11:15 PM

very neat!

thanks...