Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
 fiberglass and Gorilla glue???? >

fiberglass and Gorilla glue????

Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

fiberglass and Gorilla glue????

Old 07-17-2008, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fiberglass and Gorilla glue????

Hi all

I want to sandwich 2 oz fiberglass between foam cores and balsa skin on the root of a 4 meter glider wing. I love to sheet with gorilla since it expands and penetrates deep in the foam and even the wood so the joint is super tough.

How about I stretch the glass and tack it with epoxy and then just glue the skin and let the glue pass through the whole thing? Anybody done this before??

Thanks

colmo
Old 07-17-2008, 01:30 PM

Default RE: fiberglass and Gorilla glue????

Yep, I've done it.. I guess it works but I don't have any hard data to prove it adds any strength to the composite.. I didn't even tack it down, just spread out the PU on the sheeting and sprayed down the foam.. Laid the glass down on the wet foam and kind of squeegeed it flat, stuck everything together and threw it in a vac bag over night..
Old 07-17-2008, 03:19 PM

I did a test with a few different epoxy resins and 2 different PU (Gorilla & Elmers Ultimate) by using it to glue 4 layers of 2 oz. cloth together. I compressed all of them between 2 sheets of class and clamped it all down. What I found in my test was that the PU glues were both very flexable, and the epoxys varied from semi flexable to very stiff. All the epoxies were stiffer, so I decided not to use it for attaching my final layers of glass.

Just my simple test, I have no tensil or compression numbers either. [>:]
Old 07-18-2008, 01:21 AM

But what does it matter that it is flexible, if the tension is resisted by the cloth itself?