Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
 Which material for glass fuse reinforcing? >

Which material for glass fuse reinforcing?

Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Which material for glass fuse reinforcing?

Old 07-18-2008, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which material for glass fuse reinforcing?

Hello, I want to strengthen my plane's fiberglass fuse around the wing saddle and I want to put a wheel on the bottom to land on and need to make the fuse there strong to support it. Haven't had experience with fiberglass, kevlar, carbon fiber. Which one would be best for this? Do you use the cloth with epoxy?

Many thanks for any help....

Jim

Old 07-19-2008, 01:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Which material for glass fuse reinforcing?

Hi Jim.

I just finished doing some repair work for a friend who had a hard landing in his F9 Panther. The fuse was really in need of some extra strength around the nose gear and air brakes. The fuse did have some strips of carbon fiber, but they were not in very good locations and in some spots were in need of more layers. I added 1 layer of 3 oz carbon in the area and also a strip of carbon tape on the thin piece between the nose gear door and the speed brakes. The results were a much stiffer and stronger fuse. For resin, my choice is West Systems Epoxy. When working with carbon fiber cloth, wear gloves! If you have to do any sanding or other work that can raise dust, wear a mask too. When you cut the cloth, consider a low tack tape to keep the edges from fraying too much. I used a Fiskar rotary paper cutter and got good cuts. If you add more than one layer, try and lay the second layer so the weave is at a 45 degree angle to the first layer. This will give you optimum strength.

Scott