RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Composites Fabrication And Repair (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/composites-fabrication-repair-97/)
-   -   Pika 1.2M - composite build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/composites-fabrication-repair-97/11697989-pika-1-2m-composite-build.html)

craigell 03-23-2022 09:38 AM

Pika 1.2M - composite build

12 Attachment(s)
I've just found that I can't attach images as I can't post urls till 10 posts!

Sorry this is such a long post but I could really use some advise from the community.

I've completed a number of scratch builds over the years, initially balsa then depron and now I'm dabbling in foam core composite builds. I've successfully built a carbon Red Herring DLG which was too heavy for DLG but a very brief maiden on a very windy slope went 'okay'....

Anyway, I recently part-built a Pika (soarkraft) but the wing had lots of print failings, surface was weak and still came in at around 250g (LW-PLA)! That said - the fuse came out perfectly (100g) and tails (20g). Although it may still fly at AUW ~440-770g I'd like to be able to use it in lighter lift or ballast it up to ~700g as conditions dictate.

So, always looking for an excuse for a new project, I have decided to attempt a composite wing of the same planform but lighter and stronger. I may even try a composite fuse too but - wing first .

Now that I've cut the cores (50g) I'm not sure what type of layup I should go with since I have a few grades of glass and carbon cloth. I obviously want it stiff/ strong but I wont be DS-ing it and want it for lighter lift days too. Also - I want it to look nice too Here is what I have on hand:

Carbon cloth
88g Carbon Spread tow (limited remaining)
200g 2x2 Twill 3k Black Stuff
Glass cloth
200g 2x2 Twill Woven Glass
100g 2x2 Twill Woven Glass
48g Plain Weave Woven Glass
25g Plain Weave Ultra Light Woven Glass
Other stuff
300g Lightweight Aramid Flat Braid
110g Para Aramid Fabric
80g Spread-Tow Carbon Fibre Ribbon
My question(s) -
What sort of weight should I be aiming for? (wingspan - 1243mm, wing area - 1508 cm^2)
What kind of layup should I use as in which fabric where etc?
Can I get away with just the 200g carbon which is my preference to 'use it up' and look nice?
Will I need strengthening panels, top/ bottom - glass?, UD, prepreg spar?
How about 200g carbon across the center with perhaps the remaining 88gsm on the tips?
I want to use a living hinge, can the para-aramid be used?

Any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks Craig

craigell 03-23-2022 01:10 PM

Bumping my post count so I can attach urls/ images ...

craigell 03-23-2022 01:11 PM

Bumping my post count so I can attach urls/ images 2 ...

Bumping my post count so I can attach urls/ images 3...

Bumping my post count so I can attach urls/ images 4 ...