RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Composites Fabrication And Repair (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/composites-fabrication-repair-97/)
-   -   All Composite 1/7th P-40E Mould Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/composites-fabrication-repair-97/7289267-all-composite-1-7th-p-40e-mould-build.html)

I-fly-any-and-all 09-23-2010 05:51 PM

RE: All Composite 1/7th P-40E Mould Build

ORIGINAL: Slow Low

It should be posted soon, but I just sprayed some primer on the underfill spots so that I could upload some shots with better contrast. Fair is fair, and I don't want to be misleading. Give me a few minutes and I'll post them up here.
I can't give you a straight answer on my investment - you would surely call me crazy, but if you were to lay one up using a standard resin in your basement without tool costs etc, etc, etc, you could spit one out for about $30 give or take likely. Of course that wouldn't be counting the 4 straight days of continuous work. (or the 3 years to make the tool lol)

When you say tool costs can you clarify on what you mean?

Slow Low 09-23-2010 05:56 PM

ORIGINAL: I-fly-any-and-all

ORIGINAL: Slow Low

It should be posted soon, but I just sprayed some primer on the underfill spots so that I could upload some shots with better contrast. Fair is fair, and I don't want to be misleading. Give me a few minutes and I'll post them up here.
I can't give you a straight answer on my investment - you would surely call me crazy, but if you were to lay one up using a standard resin in your basement without tool costs etc, etc, etc, you could spit one out for about $30 give or take likely. Of course that wouldn't be counting the 4 straight days of continuous work. (or the 3 years to make the tool lol)

When you say tool costs can you clarify on what you mean?
Let's put it this way - I'll sell you the mould for $125,000.00

Slow Low 09-23-2010 05:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I quickly sprayed some primer on the underfill spots to give some contrast so that everyone can see exactly what we're dealing with here.
All you need to do is mix up some finishing epoxy, fill the void, and sand it smooth. Everything's good structurally. I also uploaded a few more primer shots here... http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/l...rgundy%20Pull/

I-fly-any-and-all 09-23-2010 06:05 PM

[/quote]

[/quote]

wow thats pricy! But then again the labor is very intensive.

Slow Low 09-23-2010 06:11 PM

[/quote]

wow thats pricy! But then again the labor is very intensive.
[/quote]

...you don't do something like this to make money my friend: I'm just freakin' crazy and I love to see people smile.
I think the question you really want to ask, is how much does something similar cost. Maybe someone else can help you out there, but I'll bet they're all keeping their cards close to their chest and hiding in the tall grass right about now. lmao

Slow Low 09-23-2010 06:35 PM

looks like auction ends Sunday at 7:30
here's a link and good luck to all

above all - HAVE FUN - it's a model airplane! (or it will be one day)

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=220673603823

turbofixer 09-23-2010 07:56 PM

Humm..ebay link didnt work for me?...it looks good! bummer about the bubble areas but not hard to fix...I will bid as soon as i find the add.
Scott
AKA Turbonut

Slow Low 09-23-2010 08:02 PM

oh, I should have said that you can just search b1heqh54 on ebay

Slow Low 09-23-2010 08:06 PM

...forgot to mention you can also search for b1heqh54 on ebay

mrwad 09-24-2010 11:06 AM

Slow Low,
The Ebay listing says " local pickup only"...............Is that correct ? I want to bid but live in the US and would pay shipping costs. What do you say ?

D.

Slow Low 09-24-2010 12:27 PM

I say that it says in two different spots in the body of the ad that I will ship it anywhere you are willing to pay for, but first you need to win it. It's about $40 to Florida, so it shouldn't be anymore than that.

I-fly-any-and-all 09-24-2010 03:23 PM

Cant find the lisitng. We need the title of the lisitng.

790 09-24-2010 04:28 PM

Put this in the bay search: 220673603823

Slow Low 09-24-2010 04:29 PM

This is the title of the listing.

b1heqh54 0.60 size p40 composite fuselage

And this is the listing number.

Good Luck. Let me know if that helps. So far, some lucky soul has it for $0.01 (looks like he's a machinist, which is cool in my books)

I-fly-any-and-all 09-24-2010 07:04 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but with your finished fuse, in order to mount the engine you had to cut your on plywood firewall and e-poxy it into the fuse and then mount the engine from there correct? so as in other things onewould need to simply e-poxy plywood inside the fuse to have a way to mount servo's and the wing hold down blocks right?

Slow Low 09-24-2010 08:30 PM

That's right. You might want to go around the edges with your epoxy and some fibrglass strips too. I might drill three or four holes and bolt it up tight to the shell until it's good and dry and then take the bolts out. But hey, search some threads and see what others have done. It could be a good learning experience for you.

I-fly-any-and-all 09-24-2010 08:38 PM

have you made a fiberglass wing or is this yet to be done my good man?

Slow Low 09-24-2010 08:43 PM

I have the plug ready to make the mould and that's what started this whole effort. I went to the cupboard and found out that I didn't have enough glass to finish the job if I started. So I decided to layup a fuse and auction it off so that I can order the supplies I need to keep the project moving along. I've got more time than money at this point in my life, and I'm richer than I ever was....lol

I-fly-any-and-all 09-24-2010 08:52 PM

I understand that you are a very talented gentleman but one thing has my curiosity, when you make your mold you are definately allowing for split flaps and retracts, with that in mind the bottom half of the wing mold should be quite interesting as should the finished fiberglass wing.
I guess my point in all this is that once you have your materials tooling e-poxy, cloth, resin, etc and work has begun, if one were to work day after day on the mold till finished it would probably be 6 to 9 days before the mold itself is done correct? Do you have the time to work day after day on the mold?

Slow Low 09-24-2010 08:56 PM

I understand that you are a very talented gentleman but one thing has my curiosity, when you make your mold you are definately allowing for split flaps and retracts, with that in mind the bottom half of the wing mold should be quite interesting as should the finished fiberglass wing.
I guess my point in all this is that once you have your materials tooling e-poxy, cloth, resin, etc and work has begun, if one were to work day after day on the mold till finished it would probably be 6 to 9 days before the mold itself is done correct? Do you have the time to work day after day on the mold?

lol - I have nothing but time. Once I start I will only sleep for about 3 hours at a time for as long as it takes. I retired at 35 son - stay in school. ;)

Slow Low 09-25-2010 08:14 PM

It seems the most popular question is "will you making others". I can only say that with the present bid at $60, the short answer is no....lol

Slow Low 09-27-2010 03:19 AM

Well, I was hoping this project might help pay for itself, but I've got shirts that cost more than that fuse went for, and it doesn't look like I'm even gonna see a payment anyway....hmmm....it's a sad state of affairs that the balsa kit to build it cost me three times more than anyone's willing to pay for one you don't have to build. What's the world coming to? Oh well, I think you're all crazy, and it still makes me happier than heck just to know that I can crash as many as I like....to heck with all of ya; you're all nuts! [sm=spinnyeyes.gif] lol

Slow Low 09-27-2010 03:20 AM

Well, I was hoping this project might help pay for itself, but I've got shirts that cost more than that fuse went for, and it doesn't look like I'm even gonna see a payment anyway....hmmm....it's a sad state of affairs that the balsa kit to build it cost me three times more than anyone's willing to pay for one you don't have to build. What's the world coming to? Oh well, I think you're all crazy, and it still makes me happier than heck just to know that I can crash as many as I like....to heck with all of ya; you're all nuts! [sm=spinnyeyes.gif] lol

turbofixer 09-27-2010 11:10 AM

Curious! why no payment ??? I do think the bids were all from the same guy...I looked at the history and they are all similar ...

I-fly-any-and-all 09-27-2010 03:39 PM

do tell, why is it you don't think you'll see a payment?
does the ebay noob with 0% feedback appear to not have cash?
Try paypal.