RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Composites Fabrication And Repair (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/composites-fabrication-repair-97/)
-   -   fiberlass advice needed (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/composites-fabrication-repair-97/9722465-fiberlass-advice-needed.html)

sir crashallot 05-09-2010 08:20 PM

fiberlass advice needed

well guys this is not strictly to do with planes all though in the near future this will be a big help to me. Iv just managed to get myself a new job building motorhomes. now my job title is trainee fiberglasser and as you will no instantly im new to fiberglass and have no previouse experiance. Hopefully in the near future i will be able to use what i learn at work at home to build some fiberglass parts for theplanes and maybee a few fuselages....but what worrys me the most at present is dangers with working with fiberglass. anyone wishing to point out or give me a heads up on a few things and i would appreciate all you have to say. i figured posting this here will get peoplesadvice from all over so im all ears guys

AH1G 05-09-2010 08:42 PM

RE: fiberlass advice needed

Depends upon whether you are involved with epoxy or polyester.
You need protection from glass fibers from layup and grinding. Gloves, eye protection, coveralls and mask with the appropriate filters. Breathing glass fibers can result in something simular to asbestosis. The thinners and resins can cause skin irritations as well as lung problems. Tape your coveralls, boots and gloves with "100 mph tape (duct tape)" so fibers do not get into your ankles and wrists. Close as far as possible your neckline. When you get home take a LONGHOTSHOWER to open your pores and wash off any FGdust.
Acetone, MEK, and laquer thinners are toxic!
Don't smoke!!!

sir crashallot 05-09-2010 08:46 PM

its polyester il be working with at work. looks like i have lots to learn regards saftey with the use of the stuff thnks for the reply AH1G

AH1G 05-09-2010 08:51 PM

Keep a good supply of trim knive blades, you will need them.
Good luck. I've been in the business since 70' and I'm still breathing.

Ed Smith 05-11-2010 06:29 AM

Surely the company you work for will insist on safety in the workplace.

Ed S

sir crashallot 05-11-2010 11:36 AM

yes they are conciouse about saftey but i was mearly wondering what the saftey measures are over the pond as some countrys have diferent health and saftey requirements.

TexasThermalKing 05-12-2010 11:47 PM

The range of hazards is huge with polyester, and vinylester fiberglass resins. You need to get more involved than this forum advice will provide. You need to know first...that the dust in the entire shop area will have a paticulate count per square foot of air...that contains many things the lungs cannot dissolve once inside. Only the organics will be diminished in years to come. Polyester resin is not dissolved by the body...it will bed itself in the lung and be there years later. So true for glassfiber, any kind, carbonfiber, fiberglass insulation, polyester peel ply that has been ground...etc. The shop will give you a respirator...by all means keep it clean, good filters, and wear it. The off gas from catalyzed resin is toxic to the blood, not to be breathed or absorbed thru the skin. The shop will be heavy with vent fan systems for this reason...but in tight quarters, in and around molds in layup...keep your head up out of the tight spaces where you can get heavy off-gas concentrations. Use a gas respirator...not a dust respirator for fumes. They will train you in all aspects of safety...don't listen to the guys around you if they don't do things the safe way...do as you are taught. Take the time to collect all the MSDS sheets on the chemicals, resins, solvents, cleaners and any other products with hazard warning labels. They say alot about how to properly handle them, use them, and protect yourself from their dangers. You have a right (OSHA) to all information you request. If you are going to be in an industry, learn the industry. You can be safe on your new job...You need to learn how. There is a list of the TOP 50 known carcinogens...CANCER PRODUCING AGENTS...(American Cancer Society) ....get the list...know the chemicals and compounds . You will see 25 of them, everyday in the fiberglass business. Every industry has some type of hazard....Your safety in the end is up to you, learn to guard yourself, act on it when you see or think you are heading out of it's bounds.
AN MSDS sheet...read by one man...saved 5 on one cold day! PM me and I'll share it with you.

sir crashallot 05-13-2010 12:05 AM

well after reading that im going to have words with the head of mold department who incedently is giving me a lift to work. i think our topic of discusion when driving to work is why none of us are wearing masks....... thank you for all your input and yes il pm you about the info

aerofly0610 05-13-2010 11:28 PM

You can search the OSHA.gov website for ideas.  I know OSHA is a US thing but UK probably has something like it, or I hope they do.

aerofly0610 05-13-2010 11:30 PM

ORIGINAL: TexasThermalKing

The range of hazards is huge with polyester, and vinylester fiberglass resins. You need to get more involved than this forum advice will provide. You need to know first...that the dust in the entire shop area will have a paticulate count per square foot of air...that contains many things the lungs cannot dissolve once inside. Only the organics will be diminished in years to come. Polyester resin is not dissolved by the body...it will bed itself in the lung and be there years later. So true for glassfiber, any kind, carbonfiber, fiberglass insulation, polyester peel ply that has been ground...etc. The shop will give you a respirator...by all means keep it clean, good filters, and wear it. The off gas from catalyzed resin is toxic to the blood, not to be breathed or absorbed thru the skin. The shop will be heavy with vent fan systems for this reason...but in tight quarters, in and around molds in layup...keep your head up out of the tight spaces where you can get heavy off-gas concentrations. Use a gas respirator...not a dust respirator for fumes. They will train you in all aspects of safety...don't listen to the guys around you if they don't do things the safe way...do as you are taught. Take the time to collect all the MSDS sheets on the chemicals, resins, solvents, cleaners and any other products with hazard warning labels. They say alot about how to properly handle them, use them, and protect yourself from their dangers. You have a right (OSHA) to all information you request. If you are going to be in an industry, learn the industry. You can be safe on your new job...You need to learn how. There is a list of the TOP 50 known carcinogens...CANCER PRODUCING AGENTS...(American Cancer Society) ....get the list...know the chemicals and compounds . You will see 25 of them, everyday in the fiberglass business. Every industry has some type of hazard....Your safety in the end is up to you, learn to guard yourself, act on it when you see or think you are heading out of it's bounds.
AN MSDS sheet...read by one man...saved 5 on one cold day! PM me and I'll share it with you.
VERYgood info, but the OP is not american. He is in the UK. He can probably get access to said information via the internet, but he needs to contact local UK agencies (if they exist).