RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Condor Hobbies (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/condor-hobbies-518/)
-   -   Battery charger, good or bad? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/condor-hobbies-518/11600341-battery-charger-good-bad.html)

rotee6977 06-15-2014 02:21 PM

Battery charger, good or bad?

I bought this 1:6 hummer and went to charge battery and the light on charger doesnt come on but it gets hot while charging, do you think it is working?

chuckk2 06-15-2014 08:35 PM

The information you gave is less than needed to form an opinion.
That aside, I'd say get a "real" charger. 1:6 Hummer ?????

rotee6977 06-16-2014 02:03 PM

Sorry, I bought a scale 1:6 hummer and it came with a battery and charger. I plugged in battery to charger and there is a light on charger but it does not come on when plugged in but the charger itself gets warm so i was wondering if it is working and the battery is bad? Or if the charger is good and i have a bad battery or if the battery is good and i need a new charger. Thanks for any help you can offer.

chuckk2 07-03-2014 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by rotee6977 (Post 11824704)
Sorry, I bought a scale 1:6 hummer and it came with a battery and charger. I plugged in battery to charger and there is a light on charger but it does not come on when plugged in but the charger itself gets warm so i was wondering if it is working and the battery is bad? Or if the charger is good and i have a bad battery or if the battery is good and i need a new charger. Thanks for any help you can offer.

The problem you have is typical of the low end came in the box chargers. Some sort of battery checker, such as a DVM or more specialized tester
is needed to check the battery when you suspect problems.

I have no idea what the light is supposed to show. (Power On? Battery Charged? Fault?)

You also didn't say what the battery type is. Lipo? NiCad? NMIH?

Each type uses a different charging scheme, with the Lipo being the most particular.

Cynthia23 10-30-2014 09:33 PM

I have a lipo battery with a similar problem.. It charges okay and the light on the charger also comes on but it becomes so very hot while charging. Don't know what the problem is..

chuckk2 11-12-2014 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Cynthia23 (Post 11908876)
I have a lipo battery with a similar problem.. It charges okay and the light on the charger also comes on but it becomes so very hot while charging. Don't know what the problem is..

Since the lipo works, it's rather obvious that the charger is the problem. There are many cheap chargers supplied with RTF planes and cars that are not really
what is needed to charge lipos.

Tommy91 01-04-2015 11:42 PM

don't use cheap charger. A good charger lengthen your battery life.

Kipp Louis 01-21-2015 03:40 AM

you need very careful about this. I personally use the balance charging option when preparing the batts the day before going to run.

architfly 10-13-2019 01:10 AM

you always need to take utmost care.