Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

My new Dick Sparplous Challenger .40

Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

My new Dick Sparplous Challenger .40

Old 09-14-2003, 08:29 AM
green river rc
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new Dick Sparplous Challenger .40

It's got a ST .35 doing the honkin', with adjustable leadouts. I am not a very good C/L flyer, but this is a very flyable ship. I LIKE IT!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78690.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	61195  
Old 09-14-2003, 12:00 PM
gcb

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: My new Dick Sparplous Challenger .40

Nice plane!

George
Old 09-14-2003, 12:24 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

green river rc:

If it weren't for the push rod it would be hard to tell that plane is a profile.

It really does look good.

Bill.
Old 09-14-2003, 08:33 PM
downunder

Very nice indeed. One question though because it's hard to see in the photo. Does the pushrod to the elevator have a support around it in the centre to stop it from flexing? If not then you might find you'll suddenly run out of up control on a hard turn. The pushrod is then in compression and will try to bend. Glad to see it uses a clunk tank too, I've had a lot of success with them set up as Uniflow, but you could try packing the rear end out maybe 1/8" to 1/4" so all the fuel will get used. In flight the model will yaw out a little so angling the tank compensates for this and you'll most likely get a much cleaner stop at the end of the flight.
Old 09-14-2003, 11:12 PM
Old Sourdough

DU,

I can see the push rod support about half way between the elevator horn and the flap horn on the fuselage. It appears to be one of the nylon horns readily available from all the modeling hardware suppliers. I use supports on all my profiles for exactly the reason you state when I use 3/32nd music wire push rods. I use a cotter pin with an inside eye diameter just large enough to clear that wire. It makes for a clean installation and leaves a smaller surface on which fuel residue will collect. The eye and push rod are constantly lubed by that same residue.........another reason to use high castor content fuel, I guess.

That is a nice looking plane. I especially like the USAF T-bird paint scheme.

Paul
Old 09-15-2003, 08:05 PM
green river rc

Sourdough is right about the push rod support. It's not my idea though, it was on the plans that way.(I never would have thought of it.) I do have a RC plastic tank on it, but it's not the uni flow type. I guess I should convert it.

Have you guys ever heard of Lew McFarland? He's an old control liner from Lexington, KY. (He designed the Skark 40/15, Ruffie, Dolphin, and several others.) He has a shop there, and is sponsering a C/L event on Oct. 11. I plan to attend. I think Lew is a national champ from way back when or something. I hope to talk him into taking it for a spin and tell me what he thinks. I have only seen a handful of c/l planes fly, so it should be fun.
Old 09-15-2003, 10:19 PM
Old Sourdough

GR RC,

You bet I know of Lew McFarland. I have a Dolphin and a Ruffy kit in line for building, in addition to plans for the Shark .45 (with which Lew won the Walker Cup, awarded to the overall Nationals Stunt Champion, in 1961) and the Shark .15. I've never built a Shark .45, but I've seen a number of them fly and they do fly well.

I have built several Shark .15's after discovering that plane was one of the few .15 sized kit planes that flew well at reasonable stunt speeds. Most of the others such as the Ringmaster Jr., Jr. Flight Streak, Midwest .15 Warbirds, etc., while scaled down to about half size, were not anywhere near half the weight. They just didn't fly well unless they were really hauling.

Have fun at the Contest in October. While there, you should enter and fly. If you can fly the whole pattern, but haven't for awhile, enter Intermediate Aerobatics. You can find the pattern shown at:

[link=http://www.brodak.com/info/precision aerobatics.cfm]CLPA Pattern[/link]

If you've never learned the complete pattern, enter Beginner Aerobatics (if it's offered) and fly as much of the Beginner Aerobatics pattern as you are able. The Beginner pattern can be found at:

[link=http://www.brodak.com/info/beginneraerobatics.cfm]Beginner Pattern[/link]

If you're at all interested in a list of Walker Cup winners, go to:

[link=http://www.zianet.com/pampaeditor/]P.A.M.P.A.[/link]

Click on the link to enter, then click on the link for 57 Years of Walker Cup Winners and read to your heart's content.

Enjoy.

Paul
Old 09-16-2003, 08:11 AM
gcb

green river rc,

If you have not been in Lew's shop, make it a point to go! It is one of those "stuffed" shops that you can hardly walk down the aisles. Only part of the stock is CL, most is RC. If you don't see something you need, ask. He's probably got it.
Make sure you check the days he's open though, he's not open every day.
Lew spends lots of time as a CD I think. He also spends time in his full size plane.

George
Old 09-16-2003, 02:39 PM
green river rc

Thanks for the great info Sourdough, I love RC but hope C/l never dies. gcb, Lew has a new shop now, I'm told it's larger than his old one. A visit soon in in the works(70 mile trip)
Old 09-16-2003, 06:33 PM
gcb

Lew moves his shop every few years. I guess that's one way to remember where all your stock is.

George
Old 09-17-2003, 02:07 PM
V. Sharp

Green River is a fast study -- both he and his young son are becoming quite good at control line -- they are already VERY good at R/C.

As for the Lew McFarland planes -- Many years ago I got a Shark 15 from him, and modified it into a P-40, and literally wore it out! One of the best flying profile pattern trainers there is. Green River's Son is right now flying a 20 year old model that is a take off of the Shark 15 -- good designs just last on and on.

Vaughan Sharp
Old 09-17-2003, 04:56 PM
green river rc

The dynamic dueo in action.

Name:	Wu60257.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	61887  
Old 09-17-2003, 05:03 PM
green river rc

Here's a close up of the Shark 15/PT 20. Vaughn GAVE this 20 year old plane, with new lines and handle, to my 8 year old son. We took it home with big smiles on our faces, and flew it 10 minutes later. He did the 1st sucessfull test flight himself, I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. It's what inspired me to build the Challenger.

Name:	Bz77166.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	61888