Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

C/l handles (like cox or ureely)

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

C/l handles (like cox or ureely)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 03:11 AM
Dosu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C/l handles (like cox or ureely)

Trying to get back into control line flying is more difficult than I thought it would be. I used to have a Cox thimble drome control line handle which would accommodate the wires independently on two different spools.

I also had Jim Walker's UReely.

Unfortunately over the years the plastic has petrified completely and they are no longer usable.

Can anyone tell me whether any shop or website sells complete handles? Also I would appreciate a lead as to which website / hobby store sells control line related material.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:53 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brodak

You probably will not find any current production handles similar to the COX or UReely simply because they were more heavily used with smaller planes. Half-A controlline is alive, but not particularly well, so the market has dried up.

This past weekend, I was running a Babe Bee that I had rebuilt for a guy at the field. The older guys said they had forgotten how loud they could be; some of the younger flyers had never heard or seen a .049 running. One of the younger electric pilots said it sounded kind of irritating. I thought it sounded like music.

Last edited by Andrew; 10-14-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:00 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

It's a different world out there, Andrew. A half century ago it was consider healthy noise. It meant a child or young adult was doing something to stay out of trouble. Today, it is different. It's why I'm glad I fly where the nearest farm house is a quarter mile away and we are encroached by dairy cows and corn fields. A quarter mile dirt track is several hundred yards from us.

Yes, a Cox Babe Bee running is music to the ears.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:00 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Dosu as noted above there are no more current line winding handels that I am aware of. Here are some of mine at the top left is a Jim Walker U Reely and I beleve that one was the only one for the longer and heavier wire lines. Mine is still loaded with sixty footers and I do on occassion use it for certain of my ships which do not have throttles.

I have been in a wheelchair now for around 14 years and learned to fly in that but normally fly only throttled airplanes and for that I used a bill Young handle that sent digital information over the wires to a servo in the airplane. Thats the system in the lower left with a yellow handle. Now with the 2.4 radios I have been able to retire the over the wire system complely as set was time consuming and the wires themselves tended to be unreliable with normal stoage wear and tear.

Now with 2.4 I use over the air throttle systems and this greatly simplfied handleing the wires and I was able to go back to my old EZ Just handle which is the red on in the lower right and it set up using the standard old pylon (Sullivan brand) wire reel and mounted to a simple home made wire winder.

I am sure Brodaks has various lines and wire spool. I am sure Tower has sixty footers as I just purchased two set from them and of course the come with that pylon plastic spool you see in the picture.

John
Old 10-17-2013, 07:40 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have never seen the 1/2A ones like you have John. They look simple enough to maybe make up at home. I will throw some pics I have stored. I got a couple more handles since like the Brodak ones but the wife went to Europe with the camera. I got the U reely type at a swap meet.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:02 AM
JohnBuckner

Oh man thanks for the pictures Aspeed!

I love looking at home mades and obscure handles folks have used over the years. I am envious of the monoline setup as I haved never attempted that and would love to try.

I do have nice little per;haps A sized Stanzel kit I could rustle up pretty quick and it was made for their monoline system if I could just find the hardware for both ends of the line.

I will attach a picture of a home made training handle that I made some years back and it worked great for training at least until I had to start using a wheel chair so I gave it away to one of the locals I got started in controlline and he used it to teach his daughter.

I would love to see what Ya'll got for handles and I don,t think Dosu would mind this slight wandering of subject

John

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 10-17-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:22 PM
aspeed

Monoline is even harder to find than the Ureely stuff. Most speed guys hang on to them. Mine is more for an A Speed, a B might be a bit much. The thimble and handle are home made. I think the units are still available, but not the handles. I only have a couple more handles I picked up in Perry Ga. I think one is a Brodak one and the other one is similar. The F2D guys have a few different ones too. To keep it on subject, there was an Australian company that made some handles with the reel being an integral part of the handle. It couldn't be adjusted in flight, but was pretty interesting. I may have seen it on the other site.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:04 PM
JohnBuckner

What I don,t like about the U Reely is the feel and weight distribution with the internal reels etc above the handles center line an I always found this uncomfortable. Now with my old Bill Young handle with the pistol grip and electronics it too had considerable weight but the extra weight was forward and not above the centerline and this is more comfortable at least for me.

Someday I will find the monoline hardware somewhere

Poso take a close look at my setup in the lower right of the photo in post #4. That is simply the Pylon brand reel that the Sullivan lines come with and it is glued to a 1/8 plywood disc and an axle bolt through the long stick there is a rotating winding handle on the that is visable and another long handle not visable on the back side which makes line extension or recovery a piece of cake and fast. its a pretty simple afternoon project.

John

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 10-17-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:48 PM
aspeed

I use the little wood handle on the left for 1/2A stuff because it is lighter and there is more feel. The stainless steel one beside it is the one I use the most. I don't like the handles with a front to it because I like to use two hands once in a while when the pull gets a bit much, and my hands both don't fit in. I think you would have trouble with monoline in the wheelchair. You need both hands, and there really isn't much control either. I haven't tried the 3 line or the Ureely yet. I just got them.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:30 AM
greggles47

Dosu,

I'm not sure you'll find a new UReely handle anywhere other than *Bay. !/2 A handles are available from Brodak & RSM Distribution. These also market other CL friendly goodies.

One of the other replies mentioned the Australian handles. These were made by Aeroflyte - sadly no longer being made - but again you might get them from the auction site. They were made in Aluminium & Plastic, the plastic ones has a bad habit of splitting when used with larger models.

Handles can also be made to suit your own application with basic hand tools if required. The pic shows both Ali & plastic Aeroflyte handles as well as a wooden on I made using a press drill and files & sand paper, as well as an ali one I turned on my lathe.

Greg
Old 10-18-2013, 08:21 AM
aspeed

Those are the cool round ones. I have never seen one on this side of the world. Looks like something could be fashioned up from a clothesline pulley maybe? Must need a couple fasteners so the line doesn't wrap itself around. Can't really see things that well on the pic. Good to see the safety thong. You are a good boy.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:29 AM
JohnBuckner

Greggles thanks so much for the picture of those combination reel/handles, that is a very clever approach.

Aspeed actually I do beleve I may be able to handle the Monoline setup in my chair. I do not use foot pedals and do have reasonalbly good control of the chair with my feet, I just do not have much hip left on one side and cannot stand up much to speak of. I normally do use my feet for propulsion going backwards if any distance is involved. When I fly two line currently with 2.4 I keep my free hand at the throttle on my chest. Sometimes with certain of my airplanes I can even lift my feet and let the airplane pull me around The down side of that though is my left arm gets quite tired as its neccessary to keep it straight out and at a slight angle to the lines . Sort of the reverse what one would do if whipping the airplane.

John
Old 10-19-2013, 07:36 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good on you, John. I have the greatest admiration for folks who find ways to overcome adversity rather than letting adversity rule them. If this country had more people with your ingenuity and dedication, it would be in much better shape.

andrew
Old 10-19-2013, 09:29 AM
aspeed

John, If you are using 2.4, then you could just use a 2 channel radio and one line, negating the need for a real monoline handle. Of course then you could set it free from the line completely too I guess. Maybe if you can sort of walk, you could just put a swivel type bar stool in the centre? Just an idea. Not sure how to run back if the lines go slack.

Last edited by aspeed; 10-19-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:32 AM
JohnBuckner

No , no interest into turning myself into a fixed human turnstyle or tether pole that is not U control and that lacks the most important thing, the one thing that we talk so much about to folks who have never experienced controlline and that is the feel of a living and breathing airplane pulling hard in you hand and you can feel the airspeed and the engine revs. That I would never give up and what is so hard to describe the RC only folks.

Two line I have no problems with but call it a bucket list thing or not I do want to give monoline a go and I think I can pull it off. Something I,ve always wanted to try since I started in 1954.

Any one out there willing to part with their monoline hardware for a premium I would most appreciate a PM

John
Old 10-20-2013, 04:48 PM
JohnBuckner

Thanks for the kind words Andrew.

Here is one that is a mystery to me. I must have obtained it in a by out or something. It fits the hand wonderfully well and the line eye bolts are rather close together, perhaps three inchs (team racer maybe?). I did use it for a while as release handle on the string of a stooge I used in the past. Nice and stout solid cast aluminium and has as you can see the name, Roots? Crudely stamped.

John

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 10-20-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:51 PM
greggles47

John,

That handle looks like it is in its second life, any idea what its first life was? Ripcord handle perhaps?

It doesn't look like it'd be too hard to make the line spacing wider, if that's what you want.

Greg
Old 10-20-2013, 06:14 PM
aspeed

Brass knuckles? Aluminum knuckles. Looks like it is for planes.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:56 PM
JohnBuckner

Sorry guys I,ve no idea or if it was some sort of repurposed handle, or what sure does fit the hand nice though.

John
Old 11-06-2013, 03:50 AM
Dosu

To all those who have contributed to this thread.
I apologise for not having responded sooner but I thank you all for some very valuable inputs that I received from you.
I now have the source of supply for simple control line handles and other stuff. Thank you very much everybody.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:59 AM
JohnBuckner

Thank you Dosu for coming back and would love to see some pictures posted right here in your thread of your flying site there in Mumbai. Always love to see pictures of the flying sites all over the world no matter how simple or fancy, that is very cool

John
Old 05-04-2016, 12:32 PM
rhsmrt50

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi John, I am also from the ole grouch days.........Born Sep 1940..........built my first model at age 6.....it was a 10 cent Comet stick and tissue "phantom Flash"......My first controline model was a Jim Walker Fierbaby....with a Wasp .049.......it was a 1948 Christmas gift from my parents....I never really learned to fly it and eventually damaged it beyond repair......so, I went back to the Comet stick models and a few solid models ....I started building Monagram models and entering them in Monagram contest in 49 and 50.....won a few throphies.......I met a a kid who later became my buddy ........he knew how to fly controline and taught me to fly on an ole Kenhi Panther that was a wreck, had to hand launched it because the LG went thru the wing on its first landing, so my friend David decided to just leave it off.........tho I fly giant scale RC today....... I still build, and collect old CL kits and controline handles , lines etc.........I especially love the 1/2A plans and old kits.....thanks for letting me butt-in............Rich.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:39 PM
search-n-destroy

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would personally be too embarrassed to show up at the field with a 'U Reely'. To each his own i guess. ROTFL!
Old 01-03-2017, 09:30 AM
xby-1

The best source for things CL in the USA today is Brodak. They sell a handles for 1/2A http://brodak.com/1-2a-handle.html However it would be easy to make one. We tend to use 'Spectra' fishing line for 1/2A's these days, But Brodak does carry wire if you prefer that. I don't know they ship internationally, but they probably do.