Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

So what was your first control line plane, and what was the year, and age that you...

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

So what was your first control line plane, and what was the year, and age that you...

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2023, 12:29 PM
AJ Sun

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Been working on my Super Ringmaster just about got the wings done. And ready to mate the two half’s. got the lead out wires done for the bell crank. Brain storming about the way I will connect to the control bell horn. The plan said to wrap the cable thru the hole on the bell crank. It’s looks like a perfect bell crank metal. Did not like that suggestion. So I used eyelets and double wrap with copper line and used two part epoxy, thought about JB weld, but no. I. Used epoxy and will heat shrink over the unit. And use a center slide connector secured with another small strip of heat shrink. And route the lines thru aluminum tubing at the wing tip. Then use eyelets with copper wrap and epoxy with heat shrink. Still have a lot of work to do on the wing before I start the Fuselage. Doing some research and studying that part. I’ve found a few parts a little confusing. Around the engine installation looks like they are using a McCoy 35. I am planning on a Fox Stunt 35. The nose narrows into a two inch spinner with standard up right engine installation. Looks just too narrow for a Fox Stunt 35. Just might have to widen that area.AJ
Old 11-05-2023, 04:00 PM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I've used Mccoy and Fox 35's in a Shoestring and Buster, I think the mounting holes were different but I don't remember the case being all that different AND they both flew the models fine. Oh hell, let me go get a couple and measure as the stats don't seem to be in my search engines capabilities. The McCoy's mount holes are an 1/8 wider and spaced 1/16 wider. I probably ran a bigger drill bit on the holes and fudged that BUT the back of the motor to the back of the prop on the McCoy is 3/16 longer. We could say quarter, it's late and I'm running a micrometer that wants to tell me 256ths where roundabout would be good enough, then I saw it had a scale on it and, eyeballs. Case is 1/16th inch bigger on the McCoy from tip to tip on mounting lugs and crankcase. I really don't see these minor differences being a problem between the two on the Super Ring. The Fox will like running upright, getting away from that Burble (which God intended but ehhh, it's not sacriledge).
If it's a tight fit the fox is gonna snuggle in there better BUT I suppose it could be a tight fit front to back, where the McCoy would gie you 3/16ths more reach.
Pick your favorite good runner and go with it

The following users liked this post:
AJ Sun (12-04-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 05:32 PM
AJ Sun

Hey they are both great motors. Hurd both sides. And I run the Fox more than the McCoy 35. A few of my motors I’ve owned sense the 60s never been overhauled but two of my red head 35 McCoys a lady did a great job making them new again both lost compression. None of my Foxes have lost compression and I use Marvel Mystery Oil tool oil to store and after run lube. Always wanted a 50th anniversary Fox All sold out with in 18 hours. They were a real collectors motor. Had gold plated parts. Any of the UC guys that went from one motor to another usually used a flat plate or piece of ply. Counter sunk the screws. I never did that. Usually I would just install new rails. My Flying Fool Original Sterling kit I had powered it with a 19 Fox. But it was heavy and needed a Stunt 35. I changed the rails, and I think that was the only time I tried to do that. No Epoxy back then just Ambryoid glue Still have a few tubes I keep in the fridge. I think Stits Polyfibre polyTac is the same formula sure resembles it. The PolyTac is clear. Great post like talking UControlAJ
Old 11-29-2023, 10:04 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Interesting you brought up Ambroid glue. I've been told that 3rivers Archery Nitrocellulose glue is the closest you're going to find resembling Ambroid. I bought a can but haven't cracked the can yet. https://www.3riversarchery.com/nitro...saApvbEALw_wcB Just in case anybody is looking for it. For Indoor Free Flight Ambroid thinned is the lightest.
AJ Sun (12-10-2023)
Old 11-30-2023, 05:01 AM
AJ Sun

Thanks for your post. I always felt and used Amybroad glue in my young days when I built my first S-1 Ringmaster. I think it was in 1987 a hobby shop was closing in Fort Worth. 2 part epoxy was on the scene. But the closing shop had a box with 10 tubes of Ambryod. I've got two tubes left. Wish I could find more. That's interesting about the bow and arrow. And what they use. I assemble my planes with Sig tight bond now. Use two part thirty minute epoxy and smooth and easy on areas around my motor. Smooth and easy is no longer. But I still have two sets of it. Always liked it to seal balsa for a nice smooth finish. Have a great holiday.AJ
Old 12-04-2023, 10:43 AM
AJ Sun

Gee I forgot to say what started me into this flying thing. Well I was the kinda kid that watched a plane until I could not see it any more. Lived in Washington State near Fort Lewis And McCord AFB. Watched B-36 and the L-19 Bird Dog. Flying in formation I’ve our home. I was maybe 9 and Korea was in full swing. I lived in a town called Tillicum. And attended the local Elementary school. My step dad bought a Cub 049 Military. Took it to the park but could not get it started. Burned out glow plug. We worked on it at home and made up the lines and bought a starter kit. Had a battery, Fuel and all the stuff needed to get that Cub in the air. Back to the park. pop was going to fly it. Straight up and down around second base. He looked mad at first thought I had messed up. But said Butchee let’s get some Rubarb pie and ice cream. I rode my bike the next day to get what was left of that Cub. It was gone. The PX at Fort Lewis had a great hobby shop. I would ride the bus and finally bought a Sterling Ring Master. I was maybe 13. That was the same year I attended Marymount Military Acadmeny. So the Ringmaster was never finished until three years later. I bought my first Fox Stunt 35 and met several UC flyers at Mc Cord AFB. In 1966 I joined the Army every base had a hobby shop and a circle. Great times and great people. I still build and fly today.AJ
Tom Nied (12-05-2023)
Old 12-04-2023, 11:01 AM
AJ Sun

Your Fox Stunt 35 is the 50th I have the the 40th and the 60th. I Hurd the last was the 80th. But I never seen one, was the last year they made Fox EnginesAJ
Old 12-07-2023, 04:28 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Only Foxes I have are the .15-X, C/L and R/C, a recently acquired Fox .09 Rocket side port, and non-Schneurle cross scavenge Fox .25 R/C. Bought the .25 new from Tower Hobbies, when Fox was soon discontinuing the non-Schneurles around the late 1990's. Compared with other engines, it has a rather crude look of the 1950's. OS and Enya look quite refined when compared with it and the other two sizes.

I've got plenty Testors .35 Red Heads, Blue Heads and K&B .35 Stallions to keep me going for C/L now.

Last edited by GallopingGhostler; 12-07-2023 at 04:30 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by GallopingGhostler:
AJ Sun (12-10-2023), Clean (12-07-2023), Tom Nied (12-07-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 06:42 AM
AJ Sun

Hey GandG thank you for your post. That’s interesting. What you said about Fox. I just hope I have enough to get me thru my senior years. AJ
Clean (12-07-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 10:47 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ Sun
Hey GandG thank you for your post. That’s interesting. What you said about Fox. I just hope I have enough to get me thru my senior years. AJ
I think that is possible. Prices on the on-line auctions have been sagging, plus well maintained Foxes seem to run forever. I don't think the supply is ready to run dry yet. Just sent your friend, John, an NOS Duromatic McCoy .29 and a clean Testors .35 Red Head missing its needle, just sharing the wealth.
AJ Sun (12-10-2023)
Old 12-10-2023, 05:30 AM
AJ Sun

Hey GandG great hearing from ya, I stopped using EBay. Use to sell and was on pay pal back in June I got a very small package in the mail, nothing was in the package, but a routing number and tracking number. Four months later I get a bill for 390.00 bucks started taking it out of my Pay pal account. After two withdraws we realized what was going on. And stopped it. Some operation out of China. Had to change all our accounts, some how they knew lots of info about us. They figured somebody at the bank sold our into. AJ