Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

So what was your first control line plane, and what was the year, and age that you...

Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

So what was your first control line plane, and what was the year, and age that you...

Old 07-15-2021, 10:48 AM
LouisB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first at age 11 was a Testors Cosmic Wind, powered by a McCoy .049. I got it at Western Holding Mine's (where my dad was working) Christmas party. Dankie Pa!
Flew like a dog as we where in excess of 1500m above AMSL but it lasted through a lot of crashes. This was followed by the obligatory PT-19 and thereafter a balsa home-built with a DIY pine profile fuselage and a left-over donated balsa wing from a smashed kit. It flew the best of them all. Fond memories and today I'm a Sunday RC flyer.
Old 07-15-2021, 11:07 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Heck it was so long ago I believe it was a pterodactyl with a rope tied to each leg.
Old 07-15-2021, 12:00 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Propworn View Post
Heck it was so long ago I believe it was a pterodactyl with a rope tied to each leg.
But that was beast powered flight hang glider style provided the pterodactyl didn't eat you. The neanderthals before us (a few still post here) flew a Dynajet pulse jet powered rock. (You know what they say, with enough power even a rock can fly. )
Old 07-15-2021, 03:30 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler View Post
But that was beast powered flight hang glider style provided the pterodactyl didn't eat you. The neanderthals before us (a few still post here) flew a Dynajet pulse jet powered rock. (You know what they say, with enough power even a rock can fly. )
Hey as long as you didn't do a wing over and he didn't get a good look at you, you were golden. LOL
Old 07-19-2021, 06:04 PM
subarubrat
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some great historical pics in this thread! My first was a PT-19, failed big time with it. I bought a Testors P-51 with allowance money and taught myself in the front yard with great success. Those Testors Fly'em planes with the record for instructions were slightly smaller than the Cox models but way cheaper and you got something that had the same or better detail and scale appearance. I have more of those in the collection than Cox CL planes today and I think they never get the credit they deserve for being such a great starting point for the era.