Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

Balance point on C/L planes ??

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Balance point on C/L planes ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 04:13 PM
steve111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I figure this will go one of two ways , It'll be like they say about riding a bicycle , once you learn you never forget and I'll fly that plane like I always did , OR , my extended time away from C/L flying will result in a smoking hole in the ground . When it finally does have it's day it the field , I'll post up the results good or bad here in this thread
Dont worry, it’s like riding a bike, except you’ll probably get dizzy the first few flights, so maybe don’t fill the tank.
Old 12-14-2023, 10:53 AM
AJ Sun

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

This is really an old post and sense several guys and gals are interested in U Control. I kinda thought my two cents, thats not worth a dime. Might help some of us that are scratching our heads. Several of the posts are good and informative. But RC and UC are different people when it comes to balance of the plane. First I start with the forward lead out. Now watch that statement because some Stunt aircraft have a thin cut up to three inches on the wing tip. I’ve never understood that concept, but I am not a competitive flyer. I basicly balance the old school way. And use thirty pound postal scales. And weigh several components. And roughly know the weights of several components full and empty meaning a full fuel tank and an empty fuel tank. I learned that from experience after a few uncontrollable landing crashes. That adage a nose heavy plane flys tomorrow a tail heavy plane never flys again. Now that’s old school, and applys to all aircraft full size and small. Aviation 101. It’s better to have a little nose weight meaning a little nose heavy. In all aspects of U Control flight. And never start your circle in a head wind. Always start your take off in a tail wind and graduate into a head wind. All my U Control planes are Silk and dope covered wings. I wing to wing balance first then nose to tail balance before I apply the silk and finish the aircraft. And I do this with two measures once with a full tank of fuel and another with an empty tank of fuel. Try to get a balance with that factor and keep it a little nose heavy. The wing balance. Place the plane up side down remove the control handle and place the lines and reel on the lead out inside wing half the length of the wing now take a similar reel empty and place it on the out side wing again halfway. Now add weight making your out side wing a tad heavy. That will composite for line drag. When your flying .12, .15, .18 lines all weight differently being the .18 will have more drag in flight. Hope this helps just my opinion not to offend. Welcome to the circle!AJ.