Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Pt19 not starting

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2021, 10:51 PM
0.49PT-19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pt19 not starting

I have recently brought a cox PT19 control line plane, but I cannot get the engine to start, I'm sure I'm doing everything right, but it is my first control line plane so there could easily be something I'm doing wrong. Great if you experts could help.
Thanks
Old 06-29-2021, 06:13 AM
Bob Mears

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure your glow driver is glowing the plug. Should remove the glow plug and physically look at the glow. Should be a glowing orange. Prime the exhaust port with a bit of fuel and it should at least run that prime out. Depending on how long it has set up, there's a good chance the reed is stuck, or possibly even dissolved. If its been sitting for years you will probably need to take it apart and clean the fuel pickup tube, the needle valve, the needle valve hole, and make sure the gasket is good between block and tank/reed plate.
Old 06-29-2021, 07:18 AM
A. J. Clark

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

If your flipping by hand they can be hard to start . Prime it by putting some fuel in the exhaust port on top of the piston. Flip it a couple of times . When it sounds like it frying inside the cylinder is the most likely time it wil start and you should try the hardest at that time.
Old 06-29-2021, 09:44 PM
0.49PT-19

Ok thanks 4 that, it doesn't even have the Reed valve in, so that probably explains it
Old 06-30-2021, 06:43 AM
Bob Mears

Will not start without the reed valve in place and a proper seal.
Old 07-02-2021, 03:08 PM
0.49PT-19

Would the Reed valve be one of the clrclip ones 🤔
Old 07-05-2021, 05:23 AM
Bob Mears

Originally Posted by 0.49PT-19
Would the Reed valve be one of the clrclip ones 🤔
Yes, it should be. Older versions have a copper reed. Newer reeds are plastic.
The following users liked this post:
AJ Sun (10-26-2023)
Old 10-26-2023, 12:43 PM
AJ Sun

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Use your spring starter, there is a company in Canada that I think bought the rights to thimble drone. They sell a lot of stuff on Ezbay. If your using that older 049 that came on the thimble PT19 that had the plastic tank get the copper reed. They have themAJ
Old 10-27-2023, 05:49 AM
Coxfledgling

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Pt19

Is a pt19 the right model for a first timer when you take the situation if spare parts and it's value ?????

Visit Cox engine forum, exmodelengines, Cox international and mecoa...

Are UK UK based ?

Dens model supplies...

Think very very hard about a suitable balsa trainer to learn to fly with using the pt's engine ( or get an eBay engine or new ? Black widow perhaps ) with a suitable tank/back plate arrangement ( break the pt's plastic engine mount equals a desaster ) . When you can fly the socks of that, think about flying your very precious pt19 !
Old 10-27-2023, 10:23 AM
AJ Sun

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

You are sure right about the Cox trainer. PT 19. Brodak has several 049 powered trainers. If you fly your going to crash, I’ve proved that many times. And did it again just last week. What is nice about wood and Balsa it usually can be repaired. And you improve every time you go thru that cycle of flying and crashing. I knew a guy at Fort Meade Maryland. He scratched outa PT 19 out of Balsa painted it like the original and it fooled me. It really looked good. I think he flew it on 30’ lines. AJ