Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
How slowly can I fly (simply) my CL Plane? >

How slowly can I fly (simply) my CL Plane?

Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

How slowly can I fly (simply) my CL Plane?

Old 04-05-2024, 02:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How slowly can I fly (simply) my CL Plane?

All,

I am restoring my CL plane from 1953. It started with a K&B .35 engine, but is being rebuilt with a K&B.19 engine.

I want to fly this very gently a few times for old times sake....3 circuits at best!!

On 52 ft lines in absolute calm air, how slowly can it be flown?? Tangential mph, or number of seconds per "circuit" ( One time around)??

Also, the wing profile seems essentially symmetric top and bottom. Does the wing actually produce lift, or are they just for flight stabilization??

Thanks,
aaganz
Old 04-05-2024, 07:09 PM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Controline stunt airplane's wings produce lift by flying on an "angle of attack". Generally a model with a symmetrical airfoil wing is designed to fly upright, and inverted. This can be easily accomplished with a large wing area, and enough power. Your Super Ringmaster was designed around the .35 motors of the day (Fox, Johnson, K&B's etc). It should fly on the K&B .19, but it won't be over savage on power. Sterling first made the Ringmaster (profile fuselage), and then followed that with the Super Ringmaster (full body model), and a profile Junior Ringmaster. The K&B .19 would be a good match for the Junior Ringmaster if your goal was to have a model capable of flying the stunt pattern.
Old 04-06-2024, 05:45 AM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

Ya I kinda agree with Greg. I am in my late 70s and a slower model suits me. Wing overs and circle eights, Inverted usually gets me in trouble. I re tanked all my flyers to two and one half ounce tanks. My By Slob has a three and a half ounce tank, adding weight and a larger pitch prop. Will slow the circle down. Biggest issue is slack lines. So I try to manover down wind. All this is experimental to me. Even try to adjust my lines to lighter and shorter to promote less drag. I do own a few Fox 19s one is in my Veco Brave. No flaps. AJ
Old 04-06-2024, 09:43 AM

All,
Thanks for the good information!...It is nice to know I have a Super Ringmaster, and plans are available. The aerodynamics had intrigued me, as I saw there was no airfoil for lift! With enough power, it could be just thrust in the air from waist height...although I would like to have and see a nice "take off run".
Plane is in final doping now, and I will put an AL shim/spacer over the K&B35 bolts, and mount in my "new" K&B .19 engine.

First test flight in a few weeks.
aaganz
Old 04-08-2024, 05:45 AM

I don't think anybody answered your question how Slow? I've flown a eight second circle may be close to nine seconds? Still could do a very short wing over. Down wind. If I remember right it was my Veco Worrier it has a 19 Fox. But the plane is very heavy. It's very old, oil soaked, several repairs and a reinforced spar. AJ
Old 04-08-2024, 01:58 PM

AJ,

An 8-9 second circle would be fine, and I hope to be trying that in a few more weeks. I need two more final doping coats, and then a rebuild of the motor mounts to fit the K&B 19 vs the original K&B 35. Depending on how that goes, I would get both a K&B 29 and K&B 35 for my son to sly it in a stunt pattern. Also, I can finish the 2nd Super Ringmaster and use any of the three engines.

I do wonder about the "take off run" with a symmetrical wing profile. At lower power (K&B 19) it is far from a VTOL aircraft, but a run up on the "runway" with no lift seems like it would do nothing but run around the circle on the ground!
aaganz
Old 04-08-2024, 03:02 PM

Start your take off down wind and circle to a head wind she will fly but keep your control movements gradual. Your Super Ringmaster will be under powered. And easy to stall. AJ