Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

U-Control SCALE

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 10:08 PM
Tercels
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default U-Control SCALE

Anybody out there know where one can get U-control SCALE kits? I don't mean dinky, profile kits. What I'm talking about are kits that look like real aircraft, that require a measure of skill to assemble. Not ARFs which have the construction already done for you. Many thanks, Joey
Old 05-07-2006, 10:29 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: U-Control SCALE

The only one I can think of right off is the Ryan PT - ?? from Brodak. It was designed by Frank Beatty, who is a top notch CL scale person. There are some RC kits which can be modified into very nice CL scale airplanes, but I'm not really familiar with them.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:10 AM
vauxhall

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Joey, maybe you'd enjoy building from a plan, multitudes of scale plans out there, and you can choose almost any plane you want, there'll be a plan for it somewhere. Also MUCH cheaper than kits......John
Old 05-08-2006, 07:24 AM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Joey,
Conversion of R/C scale kits to control line works very well. I personally have converted the Marutaka/Royal FW-190, Top Flite Gold P-40, and Brian Taylor's Typhoon. Jack Sheeks has been flying a very competitive Skyshark Val. The "60 size" models fly very well and can be fitted with any operational feature you desire when using a "down the lines" electronic system. Please feel free to contact me with any specific questions you might have about making one of these conversions.
Chuck Snyder
Old 05-08-2006, 07:29 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Joey,

You might also check out the MANY plans available from AMA that were gathered by John Pond.

George
Old 05-08-2006, 11:43 AM
clscale-RCU
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been flying CL scale for years and I have never built anything that was advertised as a CL scale kit. The bottom line is that any scale kit can be flown for CL scale up to 20 lbs in weight and the engine size does not exceed 1.35 cubic inches.

While I was flying In california we flew a 1/4 model that weighed 18lbs, 1/3 scale spacewalker at 19 lbs, and everything else down to 27" span with an OS-10.

Find a kit, ARF or plans designed for RC and go from there. To convert a model from RC to CL here is what needs to be done:

1) Lock the rudder at nueutral

2) install an adjustable line guide (very imporant...)

3) Bellcrank can be anywhere, but generally I put mine 1" behind the CG behind the fuel tank

4) The tailwheel or nosewheel should be fixed but adjustable. This is important so you can get the airplane to taxi correctly. Often times I have the tailwheel controlled by a servo to trim while I am taxing.

5) engine thrust line and elevator should be at zer-zero. Some RC kits have positive incidence on the fixed portion of the elevator, I have noticed that CL scale kits fly better when the elevator is at zero degrees to the engine thrust line

6) Engine does not need to point down or outwards for line tension.

7) Put wing tip weight, depends on the size of the model

8) CG on my CL models is generally further forward than for RC flight, gives smooth stable flight

9) Wing should have 2 or 3 degrees of incidence

10) I fly with electronic controls, contact me if you want more information on this. My 3-line handle will become part of a museum at some point.

Hope this helps

source for 3-views and photos:

www.bobsairdoc.com
Old 05-23-2006, 06:36 AM
R8893

Joey,
I'm curious what you decided to build.
Chuck
Old 06-01-2006, 11:30 PM
novato43

I once had a scale kit (back in the 50's) that I foolishly traded. It was a "Scalemaster Stuka" CL for a .35 engine. I have been trying for awhile to find another kit or plans for this Scalemaster kit but have found nothing. Has anyone ever heard of a copy of the plans? I have checked the AMA site and other plans services, but have found nothing.

Old 06-25-2006, 03:53 AM
telmore

You might be interested in this site?

http://f4bscale.worldonline.co.uk/

Tony
Old 08-17-2006, 09:42 PM
Tercels
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Chuck, I've got a brand new Top Flite P-39. (It's been discontinued by Top Flite)
Old 08-18-2006, 07:13 AM
R8893

Joey,
The P-39 ought to be a very good flying model.
Chuck
Old 08-31-2006, 10:20 AM
WacoCabinaero

ORIGINAL: Tercels

Anybody out there know where one can get U-control SCALE kits? I don't mean dinky, profile kits. What I'm talking about are kits that look like real aircraft, that require a measure of skill to assemble. Not ARFs which have the construction already done for you. Many thanks, Joey

I was steeped in CL as a youngster and the love of it courses through me from those years that the were most fun I have ever had modelling. I started simple but moved quickley to scale. While I still love the littlest Jumpin Bean types the I-Beamer bug has bit hard.

Up to my ears in giant scale RC Pitts I have now begun to focus on Waco's in a large way. 2 kits that I have which are better scratch built for many reasons are the Sterling 56" SRE and the Berkeley 52" SRE. Not much different in size but very different in a modelling experience I intend to build both as CL scale subjects. Probably 2 line as well. If you want to build a Scale CL model then scratch building doesn't likely scare you. The Sterling has parts avalable from from Fiberglass classics. Kits of it can purched on ebay reasonably when you consider what kits do currently cost.

Stearmans work well as CL models. Bid bipes were intende to fly level. I wouldn't consider a Pitts for CL. They would never fly scale on the end of lines.

Good luck. Control Line Scale is beautiful. There aren't enough off htem around. You don't want to talk it up much around strictly RC ARFers. You'll, well...... be under appreciated.

Go for it.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:27 AM
anthony natale

HI, I have several u-control scale kits for sale if you're interested. Call me at 978-352-2603 or e-mail me at [email protected].
Old 07-05-2013, 02:28 PM
mastercrasher

I have a Scalemaster JU-87 Kit I picked up a while back. Un-started and in great shape except 2 sheet plans are yellow from age. No rips/tears. It was from a company in Chicago.
If interested contact [email protected] and I'll send pics.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:42 AM
tokpilot

I have been flying C/L since the mid 1950s
Every once in a while I would slide backwards and fly some RC but always had a C/L to fly
Currently I am building a Complete A Pac kit from the late 1970s.
A Douglas Dauntless it will have throtle control flaps ,airelons and retract gear and probably a trimable rudder.
I plan to use one of my Airtronics Stylus Radios for the functions.
A long time ago I built a lot of the multi engine kits that were out after WW2 every once in a while one or 2 will surface in one of the sites on line.
Often some of the old Top Flite Superform scale kits will surface too they were fairly good flyers if the weight was kept down.
As of today there is a koysho P-51 on the auction site in control line free flight section with a 36 inch wingspan.
Hope everyone has a great summer of flying and a safe one as well
Old 07-08-2013, 02:43 PM
njm

Brodak is the route I took.
I bought a Brodak Corsair F4UC Kit last january,and have yet to complete it.
I bought another house, had a knee replacement, etc.
The kit is definatley a beauty!
I'll be running a Fox 40 BB 2 stroke.
I did modify from the git go and have a plastic coweling that is used on the electric ARF Corsair.
I do reccomend buying the wing jig kit, well worth it.
my "Gull" wing fell within 1/8 inch overall!