Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

LIL WIZARD

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 07:45 PM
walleye5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LIL WIZARD

Hey Boys,

New to site and things look great! Ready to get back into control line flight after a 35+ year absence, oh boy. Anyway, need to find the great discontinued kit by the man, Carl Goldberg, I couldnt bust it when I was 13, so figured that is where I would start! Can't find it anywhere. Searched tons of internet outfits, e-bay, etc, no place yet, Please help, I want this plane!

Thanks in advance,

Later,

Bob

Old 05-08-2006, 07:55 PM
CLpilot
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: LIL WIZARD

Goldberg kits are now own by Brodak. I didn't see it in the list but another good kit to start out with is the Little Hacker. It's a good deal at 2 for $25. They are easy to build and tough to break. Brodak has them listed on his site. He also has several other 1/2A kits listed as well.
www.brodak.com.
http://www.brodak.com/shop_search.ph...tsearch=wizard

Found it.

Hope this helps.

Jay
Old 05-08-2006, 08:04 PM
walleye5

Hey Jay,

Thanks alot! I was looking @ the Brodak site this weekend. Saw models you mentioned & also was leaning toward their "Clown" series and of course the basic trainer. Just that the "Lil Wizard" was so solid & had the dreaded rubber band engine mount, ha.

Thanks again!

Later
Old 05-08-2006, 08:17 PM
CLpilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny you should mention the Lil Hacker. I was flying mines yesterday. The engine quit and the plane came in on me. Nothing too bad but I need to fix the motor mount. The second plane I didn't check for level and crashed it pretty hard. Didn't look at it too closely but I think it needs a new fuselage.

Jay
Old 05-08-2006, 09:19 PM
Phlip

I learned to fly C/L on a Wizard, and have one now that I've used to teach my son and others. You're right that it's nearly indestructible, but after messing with it and other 1/2A planes, I've concluded that lighter, less indestructible planes are way easier for newbies to learn on. The Wizard is so heavy, and on such a small wing, that the control response is delayed to the point of being really difficult for new pilots to grasp.

I certainly understand the nostalgia of having a plane you liked as a younger person, but when it comes to actually teaching new pilots, I'd recommend something like a 1/2A Sig Skyray. Granted, if you pile it in, it'll break, but it's much less likely to get piled in because it responds to "up elevator" when you raise the handle. And with sheet balsa construction, repairs are pretty easy.

Just my $0.02.

Phil
Old 05-09-2006, 04:56 AM
Wayne C

Made my first succesful c/l flights with a lil wizard back in the 70s. I've still got it complete with a babe bee on whats left of the nose. The nose is now nearly mush because of the amount of hot fuel it has encountered. Still feels oily after probably twenty years of non use. I used to fly the thing several times a week when I was a teenager. I never thought of it as a really heavy airplane. I think that the sluggish control response is due mostly an extreme forward cg. The engine is so far in front of the leading edge and there's the weight of the double firewall rubber band structure resulting in a balane point well ahead of the wing. Very stable level flight. Almost no control authority when you need it. For all of the fuel that went through mine, I never did coax it into a loop. Recovering from a wing over could be real scary too. Great plane for learning to go round and round till the fuel is gone. In my experience not good for much besides learning to go round and round until the fuel is gone.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:20 AM
rmw00

I learned on a Lil' Wizard a long time ago. My 14 year old nephews are showing some interest in RC, but I think CL is a better way to start. Bought a Sig SkyRay, but then decided that since I fly electric RC, I'd try electric CL. Bought a Hobby Lobby Yak foamie for $20 and a $20 brushless outrunner. Should be flyable in a couple of weeks.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:20 PM
slammin_sam

Brodak has the little Wizard. Call the shop and they will send you one. I don't know why it's not on the web site.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:14 AM
walleye5

Hey Sam,

Thanks for the info. I finally did find the "Lil Wizard on Brodak.com., last week. I actually had to get the part# from another guy, then inter it into the "Search" box, go figure. Anyway, finally got it ordered, Brodak told me it is the same old Carl Goldberg kit. I said yeh, but not the same old price, he rocked me $37.00 & change for that bad boy, think I paid $7.00 & change in 70-71., anyway it will be worth every penny if I get the thrill out of her! Just hope these Cox .049's I'm laying the bucks out for are as forgiving & trustworthy as the ones I once owned.

Later,

Thanks again!

Regards,

Bob
Old 06-03-2006, 01:49 AM
nightflyer01

Hi, I'm glad to hear you found your Li'l Wizard. I had one in the 80's that I learned on (I'm only 28), could you possibly share the part number so the rest of us can find them? I'd like to build one again.
Thanks
Old 06-03-2006, 05:40 AM
walleye5

Hey Nightflier,

I have the part # @ work so I'll have to get it to you monday! Sorry.

Regards,

Bob

Building the Lil Wizard sure did bring back some good old memories!
Old 06-03-2006, 07:46 PM
nightflyer01

That's fine, thank you.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:00 AM
walleye5

Nightflier,

WWW.Brodak.com
P#CLP-71

Bob
Old 06-05-2006, 08:30 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: walleye5
Hey Sam,
Thanks for the info. I finally did find the "Lil Wizard on Brodak.com., last week. I actually had to get the part# from another guy, then inter it into the "Search" box, go figure. Anyway, finally got it ordered, Brodak told me it is the same old Carl Goldberg kit. I said yeh, but not the same old price, he rocked me $37.00 & change for that bad boy, think I paid $7.00 & change in 70-71., anyway it will be worth every penny if I get the thrill out of her! Just hope these Cox .049's I'm laying the bucks out for are as forgiving & trustworthy as the ones I once owned.

Later,
Thanks again!
Regards,
Bob
Bob,
I believe that is an extinct kit (out of production). For those, expect to pay more. Brodak probably charged you a reasonable price. Many folks just order plans and build their own. Last time I saw a CG Lil' Wizard kit, it had a die-crunched fuselage and I left it on the shelf. Kinda wish I had bought it, []

In any case, save the plans and trace the parts on the back of the plan if necessary.

George
Old 06-10-2006, 09:45 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Gee, and I've got one built and painted like the box cover paint scheme, never flown that I'd like to get rid of.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:38 PM
planeman50

I have a 1/2A Skyray completely built but never flown. No Motor. If anyone is interested in purchasing it make me an offer and email it to me at [email protected]
Old 06-11-2006, 08:19 AM
walleye5

Hi Tom,

I'm interested in your Lil Wizard, e-mail me at
[email protected]

Regards,

Bob

Old 06-11-2006, 08:32 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Carl Goldberg Lil Wizard
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99858.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	476109  
Old 07-01-2006, 08:02 AM
Wayne C

Wizard plus thirty years.

whoops, didn't mean to put it there twice
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx69862.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	485359   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32819.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	485360  
Old 08-29-2006, 09:30 PM
tag-RCU

Anyone able to point me to just plans for the LIL WIZARD? I know that the kit has been out of production for some time now.
Thanks
Old 09-02-2006, 12:16 AM
Centurion13

Just got a Li'l Wizard from a fellow in Tacoma. Still in the wrapper. Ebay. Looked at the wing and it's an airfoil shape, so it will be tough to replace it with something a bit bigger. I would like to modify the wing for more area (along the lines of the Stuntman 23, another boardwing I tried and failed to get from Ebay), and possibly increase the area of the elevator.

I may have to forgo the wonderful airfoil shape wing (can anyone tell me if it is more effective than a straight plank?), because it is just too small. Also, going to adjust the CG if I can, to about 20% behind the leading edge, if my memory serves me.

I usually design and build my own, but I need something 'off the shelf' for quick building. Thought I would deconstruct the really old Stuntman 23 and copy the parts, but even after successfully taking it apart, the model (over 30 years old) will be hard to copy. The wing was built up out of four seperate pieces of sheet balsa.

I would probably have been better off with a Jumpin' Bean, but boardwings are fun to fly, too, and the cheapest way I know to get the neighborhood kids involved.

Cent13
Old 09-02-2006, 07:40 AM
Phlip

can anyone tell me if it is more effective than a straight plank?
My answer is, "Yes it's more effective." When you look at it, it's more effective in making you say "Neat!"

It's probably more effective in the air, too, but on a plane this size, how can you measure it? As you are well aware, the Lil Wizard suffers from too much weight on too small a wing, so I would bet that a larger, flat wing is still going to fly better than the small shaped wing.

Why not shape your larger wing? It's not very difficult to do with a coarse sanding block, sanding cross grain for heavy removal, then with the grain to smooth it out, and progress to finer grades, and you'll probably have it done in less than a half hour.

Phil
Old 09-02-2006, 02:22 PM
Centurion13

Weeeeelll....the trailing edge of that nicely curved wing is just thick enough to attach a 3/32nd thick sheet. The present chord is 3.5 inches - I could easily extend it another 2 inches, at least.

I was thinking of extending the fuselage a bit, a couple of inches. But that would be a matter of copying the original, then inserting the extra length into the template, and then moving to new balsa.

How much would that or simply extending the wing spoil the original design's performance? As it stands, the original is a fancy plank with a motor strapped on. The plastic Testor's planes from the store would perform just as well.

Regards,

Cent13
Old 09-02-2006, 04:21 PM
Phlip

The performance of the LW isn't great, but I wouldn't go so far as to say the plastic plane from the store is just as good. The LW's claim to fame is that it'll fly on long lines and stay tight, which it does. It's also pretty tough ... it'll take a lot of abuse, just bring along a bottle of Zap for quick repairs to the tail surfaces. Just don't expect to do figure eights and clover-leafs.

I think, if you're going to change everything, why not build your own design?

Good luck,

Phil
Old 09-02-2006, 08:30 PM
Centurion13

ORIGINAL: Phlip

The LW's claim to fame is that it'll fly on long lines and stay tight, which it does. It's also pretty tough ... it'll take a lot of abuse....

I think if you're going to change everything, why not build your own design?

Good luck,

Phil
Good point, and you're right. But I like the looks, and don't think adding area to the wing and the elevator will affect its current claims to fame. However, I have been thinking long and hard on the damage I saw on the Stuntman 23's fuselage just aft of the trailing edge. That is suspiciously like the damage to my old Bean, and it may be that in crashing a balsa wood profile plane, this is the traditional weak point. Am I right?

Therefore, I will have to reinforce the area with plywood stiffeners. Especially if I intend to extent the wing chord. But all I'm really trying to do is improve the response on this beauty, so maybe not figure eights, but loops and wingovers are possible.

Regards,

Cent13

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.